IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alright Deckers place your bets, Unwired or Frank
Soo..
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 68
Guests cannot vote 
WeaverMount
post Jun 17 2008, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,309

Just wondering how hopeful you are all.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 17 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i have never been much of a fan of wholesale house rules rewrites...

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Jun 17 2008, 08:03 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

I'd bet that Frank's rules will be more cohesive and mathematically better balanced as unwired is committed to full backwards compatibility and frank's setup is the product of one man with a single vision (natch) and a compulsion to set things out in a logically consistent framework.

I'm equally sure that unwired's rules will have more traction with the dumpshock community.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jun 17 2008, 08:09 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

What do you mean by "stronger"?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 17 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #5

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Franks rules are too complicated for me and i don't play 4th, but i voted for his because they seem to make more sense then the ones in the bok right now . .

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jun 17 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #6

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

You can't compare the rules "right now" with Frank's houserules, as Unwired isn't released yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jun 17 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I´m missing a "Moon-Hawk+(BBB)+Unwired" option. I´m rather certain that we will choose that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jun 17 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

I personally have never had a problem with the RAW so I see zero reason to use Frank's.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jun 17 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Honestly, this seems premature. I haven't even read Unwired and I might like it a lot.

Having a discussion about whether rules that I might write in the future after I inevitably read and find myself dissatisfied with a book which has not even been printed are worth using is weird. I appreciate the note of confidence or whatever, but it seems a bit early.

-Frank

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Jun 17 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

eh yeah I wasn't expecting a ton of conversation because Unwired isn't out. That's why I asked people to 'place bets'. I going to have to agree with Cthulhudreams though. That seems pretty dead on. Mostly I'm just excited because to open up the matrix as a stage in my game. We've been handwaving it with NPCs for about a year now. I just really wonder what it will look like

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 17 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

Honestly, however Unwired pans out, I am still quite skeptical that anyone is going to find fluidity at the gaming table when the hacker is doing his thing. Unless every runner wants to participate in legwork in the matrix or some how assisting the hacker at the same time, the fundamental flaw is time. It can take a little under an hour out of game to resolve 18 seconds in the matrix. Is anyone else, outside of the matrix, going to be able to find something in-game to do for those 18 seconds?

Even if you just leave matrix "stuff" as RAW...you still have the same fundamental flaw...and I still haven't figured out anyway to give the matrix an important role yet involve an entire team. It comes down to either having 4 guys sit around playing rock band while the hacker and I navigate through a node or oversimplify his matrix actions (outside of combat, that is) to a single extended test so we can have that 18 seconds in game take no longer than 60 seconds out of game!

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 17 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #12

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (deek @ Jun 17 2008, 01:52 PM) *
Even if you just leave matrix "stuff" as RAW...you still have the same fundamental flaw...and I still haven't figured out anyway to give the matrix an important role yet involve an entire team. It comes down to either having 4 guys sit around playing rock band while the hacker and I navigate through a node or oversimplify his matrix actions (outside of combat, that is) to a single extended test so we can have that 18 seconds in game take no longer than 60 seconds out of game!

I've suggestions, but we probably should clutter this thread. If you're interested in the discussion, start a new one and PM me so I notice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) The short answer, though, is to make sure that the hacker isn't the star and the rest of the team the supporting cast. The hacker might make a roll to find out the target often visits Jimmy's Deli on 54th. Then, it's up to the other players to try to get Jimmy to spill on the target, stake out Jimmy's to try and catch the target, etc. The hacker is happy since he/she got a place to start and the rest of the team is cool to since they get to be involved as well.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 17 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

Sorry with Franks Brain Hacking part of his rules is just too far out there past the Twilight Zone for me.

WMS

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 17 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #14

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Ryu @ Jun 17 2008, 07:24 AM) *
I´m missing a "Moon-Hawk+(BBB)+Unwired" option. I´m rather certain that we will choose that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/embarrassed.gif)
Well I have no idea how well my little tweaks will work with Unwired, but I will say this: I am very much looking forward to Unwired.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jun 17 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jun 17 2008, 02:17 PM) *
Sorry with Franks Brain Hacking part of his rules is just too far out there past the Twilight Zone for me.

WMS

Easy fix.

"Brain Hacking" requires an active Direct Neural Interface. Subject's operating in Cold Sim receive +2 to their resistance. Subject's not operating in Simsense receive +6 to their resistance.

On topic, I voted for Unwired, but that is more of a hope than a prediction as to which will be superior.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jun 17 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

I'm in the "too early to tell camp." If I had to place I bet, I'd lean toward BBB+Unwired, for two reasons:

First, I'm running SRM Denver. I'm trying to make the game as RAW as possible.

Second, I'm cautious about wholesale rules re-writes. (Though, I have to say that I really enjoy most of Frank's descriptive text and examples in his alternate rules.)

-paws

+Quote Post
Valrus
post Jun 17 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 9,385

I'm fairly new here, I've seen Franks stuff, but I'm curious what Moon-Hawks tweaks are, anyone got a link?

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 17 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jun 17 2008, 02:46 PM) *
Easy fix.

"Brain Hacking" requires an active Direct Neural Interface. Subject's operating in Cold Sim receive +2 to their resistance. Subject's not operating in Simsense receive +6 to their resistance.

On topic, I voted for Unwired, but that is more of a hope than a prediction as to which will be superior.

Even easier fix do not use it at all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

WMS

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jun 17 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jun 17 2008, 03:46 PM) *
Easy fix.

I've got an alternate take on a "fix". The main gripe seems to boil down to the fact that there's no precedent in Shadowrun for a technology that allows for brain manipulation at a distance and that it's jarring to introduce it as the fully mature technology described in Frank's rules.

So, my solution was to add a rule that says when dealing with a naked brain, you must have a device that is at handshake range or better. Since brains are Signal -1 under Frank's rules, this means you have to be within 10cm, solving the "across the room" problem while preserving the basic concept that "not having your brain hooked into a Firewalled PAN via DNI leaves you vulnerable".

This is very similar to Muspellsheimr's "DNI is required" with one important exception. Technomancers are considered to be at Connection range to everything within reach of their signal, including naked brains. Since Connection range is better than Handshake range, this means Technomancers can pwn a naked brain with impunity without having to slap a trodenet unwillingly upon someone's head or sneak a signal relay microdrone within 10cm.

The reasoning behind this is as I said above. There's no precedent for a technology that allows for brain manipulation at a distance, but the Technos aren't a technology, they're something else entirely. Once you've bought the premise of Magical WiFi Brains, it only takes a little more effort to buy the rest of the bit that magical brains can reach out and touch other brains. It certainly makes TMs scarier from the standpoint of the general public and helps further justify the anti-TM hysteria that's already been established in the canon. It's also a nice perk to counteract the feeling laid down by the original rules that "Technomancers are teh suxxors!"

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Jun 17 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

I actually find frank's stuff is usually radically simpler, because 85% or so of the tests you make are Matrix Range, LOS, or Handshake. Not to many are connection.

Because of this they are literally one dice roll and it's great. Really helps integrate the hacking into the flow of the game.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Jun 18 2008, 05:25 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

I'm very likely going to keep Logic + Skill, but i'm definately hanging out for unwired. New things!

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Jun 18 2008, 05:36 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,997

Unwired,o n the basis that I like to run Core with my own tweaks because people know what they're getting when they join my game.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jun 18 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I don't like Frank's rules.

I'm waiting for Unwired. If the rules there fix all the problems me and my group have with the BBB rules we'll use them.
If they don't we'll just finalize our house-rules, which still use the BBB's rules as a baseline but expand them a lot.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.