IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2-Pistol Shooters, More lenient rules for them?
mike_the_fish
post Dec 16 2003, 06:36 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,902

OK, so I admit - I think shooting with a pair of pistols is tre' cool. Love all those old westerns and Chow Yun Fat movies - just think it's a fun way to fight.

So I noticed that the rules for doing so in SR are pretty strict. Smartlinks don't work, you take a hefty target number penalty, the recoil stacks for each gun, and I am not sure, but don't you have to split up your skill dice between the two shots?

I guess my question is this: have you ever seen somebody fighting this way in any games that you run? Is it really worth doing? Or does the penalties you take make it prohibitive?

If it's yes on the latter, then I am thinking about making a house rule in my games. I am thinking of having the Smartgun Link bonus actually work. Or perhaps they work only partially, like perhaps the +2 bonus is split in half, a +1 for each gun.

This is not entirely without precedence. I remember a character in an old Shadowrun novel who used a pair of Savalette Guardians, and his Smartgun Link worked just fine with both of them. I remember that he had a PAIR of crosshairs superimposed on his vision, instead of the one crosshair normally seen. His "left hand" crosshair was a different color than his right hand one - that's how he told them apart. I know the novels aren't "canon" or anything, but still it makes sense to me *shrug*

I know that the rulebook version is probably more realistic. In the real life, it is rarely usefull to use 2 pistols. But then again, this ain't real life is it :cyber:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yum Donuts
post Dec 16 2003, 06:52 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,883

well, where to begin... first, smartlinks give a -2, not a +2 modifier. second, I have seen people play it ambidexteriously, and it is indeed powerful, thirdly, you do NOT want to make it any easier, and fourthly, it really is difficult to do.

ok, start with the last one. I want you to try having 2 friends throw something to you at the same time, and try to catch them both, one with each hand. that's hard. multiply that by 10, and you've got the dificulty of shooting with both pistols.

secondly, in shadowrun's system, with a good skill, the first shot can be an instant kill. so you're getting someone who can kill 4 people on one initiative pass. that's powerful. if you make that easier by giving them smartlink bonuses, it's even more difficult

also, keeping track of two targetting reticles is quite hard.

the only thing I would agree with is something that maybe made it a bit easier to unload with 2 pistols at one target, for example, a car coming straight at you, you should have a better shot of damaging it by just pointing and firing two guns than by only firing one, but that's just me.

Personally, I think the rules are just fine as they are.

+Quote Post
omie
post Dec 16 2003, 07:09 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 5,873

actually, according to the SR FAQ, novels can be considered canon with some "rule stretching." this may be a case-in-point of rule stretching.

i like the idea, though. and i agree that it shouldn't be easy. what about creating a new skill called "ambidextrous" or something that the player has to dump points into. maybe drop the smartlink ability and use the skill to add modifiers? and perhaps throw in some penalties and caps. we don't want him dual wielding shotguns and SMGs the way he would pistols, though =). so maybe add some constraints for that...or make it only apply to pistols.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 16 2003, 07:14 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Cannon Companion already has rules for ambidexterity and off-hand skills.

+Quote Post
mike_the_fish
post Dec 16 2003, 07:16 AM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Yum Donuts)

ok, start with the last one. I want you to try having 2 friends throw something to you at the same time, and try to catch them both, one with each hand. that's hard. multiply that by 10, and you've got the dificulty of shooting with both pistols.

secondly, in shadowrun's system, with a good skill, the first shot can be an instant kill. so you're getting someone who can kill 4 people on one initiative pass. that's powerful. if you make that easier by giving them smartlink bonuses, it's even more difficult

Ah yes, but I am not arguing that it should not be hard. It IS hard in Shadowrun, and I would not change that. I am only thinking of having Smartgun links work. I am not thinking of lessening the penalties in any way, just having a certain piece of tech work in both situations.

Even with the mods that I am thinking us using, killing 4 people in one pass is very unlikely. Assuming (and I don't have my book with me, so I am not %100 on this) that you have to split your skill dice up between both guns, most folks will only be using between 3-4 dice per shot, before pools. Even if he throws pool into these shots, he is going to run out really fast, and each individual shot won't be nearly as deadly as they would be with a single pistol. Factor in the still quite formidible target number penalties, and that most of his opponents would be wearing at least 5 points of ballistic armor (more if they are equipped with sec armor)... sorry man, I just don't buy that a whole lot of 4-kill initiative passes are going to show up.

Looking at the numbers, it seems that a one-pistol shooter is going to get a lower number of shots that do a lot of damage. A 2-pistol shooter, under my house rules, is going to get a lot of shots, but with less damage. To me, it doesn't seem to affect the balance of power too much. But that's just my opinion.

+Quote Post
Yum Donuts
post Dec 16 2003, 07:42 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

pistols/savlet 5/7 plus enhanced articulation, and reflex recorder. now you're throwing 9 dice at TN 2 with a starting character. average 8 successes, with an 11M base weapon (ex explosive ammo) with their 5 balisitc, you're talking about needing 6 successes against TN 6 to bring the damage down to serious. most corp guards don't have a body of 6, much less are able to get 6 successes. throw in some combat pool, and it gets even worse.

but then, what do I know?

yes, the guards could be wearing more armor, but the player could have a custom made 10M base gun that uses burst fire, also.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Dec 16 2003, 07:42 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Phys-ad with Pistols 6 (12)
2 Ares Predators with GV1.
Ambidexterity.

All 4 shots are against a TN of 4. Meaning that, on average, without combat pool, you get 6 successes with a 9M wound, 4 times per initiative pass.
Exactly how much easier should it get?

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Dec 16 2003, 07:44 AM
Post #8

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

QUOTE (omie)
actually, according to the SR FAQ, novels can be considered canon with some "rule stretching."  this may be a case-in-point of rule stretching.

With the novels, whilst the world events that happen are considered canon, you're generally best off looking to the sourcebooks for the rules. The authors tend to take artistic license or just aren't all that familiar with the rules sometimes. :)

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Yum Donuts @ Dec 15 2003, 11:42 PM)
pistols/savlet 5/7 plus enhanced articulation, and reflex recorder. now you're throwing 9 dice at TN 2 with a starting character. average 8 successes, with an 11M base weapon (ex explosive ammo) with their 5 balisitc, you're talking about needing 6 successes against TN 6 to bring the damage down to serious.  most corp guards don't have a body of 6, much less are able to get 6 successes.  throw in some combat pool, and it gets even worse.

but then, what do I know?

yes, the guards could be wearing more armor, but the player could have a custom made 10M base gun that uses burst fire, also.

where do you get the TN2? I get 4. Reflex recorder and enhanced articulation give extra dice, not TN mods.

+Quote Post
Yum Donuts
Post #10

Moving Target

and no, you don't have to split your dice between your guns

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Dec 16 2003, 07:45 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

You split dice...?

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Dec 16 2003, 07:46 AM
Post #12

King of the Hobos

Maybe in past systems, damn bloody memory, but not the current one AFAIK.

+Quote Post
Yum Donuts
post Dec 16 2003, 07:47 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

TN mods come from smartlink bonuses which he wants to aply to both weapons when dual wielding.
then again, there's always aptitude(pistols).
and now someone else will point out the "switching targets" modifier on the second shot that I forgot, so I'll beat them to the punch.
on the second target with each gun there will be a +2 modifier for switching targets, and that will make it a bit more difficult.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Dec 16 2003, 07:48 AM
Post #14

King of the Hobos

QUOTE (Bearclaw)
All 4 shots are against a TN of 4.

Well I suppose if everyone in your combats just stands motionless in nice well light areas whilst blasting away at each other, then yes, you get TN's of just four.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Dec 16 2003, 07:49 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Dec 16 2003, 07:42 AM)
All 4 shots are against a TN of 4.

Well I suppose if everyone in your combats just stands motionless in nice well light areas whilst blasting away at each other, then yes, you get TN's of just four.

Now you're nit picking.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Dec 16 2003, 07:56 AM
Post #16

King of the Hobos

Possibly. But if you're trying to argue a point with examples that aren't very realistic, you can expect that. :/

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Dec 16 2003, 07:59 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

The multiple gun penalty could be defined as two parts: multiple targets and dual weaponry. The multiple targets would be nullified any time you are shooting both at one target and the dual weaponry would be countered by the off-hand weapon concept.

Make the multiple targets negate any sights or smartlinks, but let them apply when you are targetting two spots in the same direction.

Open to suggestions about how to divvy up the penalty to make this a somewhat balanced compromize.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Dec 16 2003, 08:00 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

You haven't stated your opinion on the matter at all.
Do you feel that a two pistol shooter gets hosed? You can't just tell me I'm dumb without even offering an opinion.

+Quote Post
Raiko
post Dec 16 2003, 08:19 AM
Post #19

Samurai

Member No.: 169

Do you feel that a two pistol shooter gets hosed?

No IMO two pistol shooters don't get hosed.

Just take a look through the "Welcome to the Shadows" forum and see how many street sams take their dual heavy pistols (usually custom) at the start of the run.

Most dual wielders will have ambidexterity and/or aptitude. Most will have enhanced articulation and many will also have reflex recorders. As noted above all these enhancements will either bring the TN back down or pile in enough extra dice to make it easier.

Also, although you loose the TN bonus of the smartlink you do still get the secondary bonuses (ie free action to change modes or eject empty clips) and these greatly help dual shooters. So much so that IMO, without the dual smartlinks you need 4 pistols, because of the reload times.

BTW do you still get the reduced TN modifier for called shots if you're dual weiling pistols and using smartlink 2s? I've not got my books with me at the moment.

+Quote Post
Nonsensical
post Dec 16 2003, 09:24 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 5,857

QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
TN mods come from smartlink bonuses which he wants to aply to both weapons when dual wielding.
then again, there's always aptitude(pistols).
and now someone else will point out the "switching targets" modifier on the second shot that I forgot, so I'll beat them to the punch.
on the second target with each gun there will be a +2 modifier for switching targets, and that will make it a bit more difficult.

Quite a bit more difficult, actually. The first shot will be an unmodified TN of 4, the second (in the first simple action) will be a TN of 6, the third a TN of 8, and the fourth a TN of 10. Even with centering and a smartlink, anything beyond the first two is a very difficult proposition indeed.

+Quote Post
mike_the_fish
post Dec 16 2003, 09:36 AM
Post #21

Target

That's what I had thought. Even with all that stuff, the gigantic target numbers will probably make the later shots fairly weak in the success department. Although I was mistaken on the whole splitting dice thing. May have to rethink.

+Quote Post
Crisp
post Dec 16 2003, 10:05 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 3,323

First let me just add that I like the idea of shooting two guns at the same time so I'll be biased in favor of people trying to do it.

Personally I would allow anyone with two Induction Pads and two Processors to get the full bonus to both guns. Some people will say that this would make gunbunnies (street sam or pistol adepts alike) too powerful (potentially killing four people every action pass, etc) but remember that the multiple target penalty is +2 for each additional target (regardless of which gun your shooting them with) so you might have a target number of 2 for that first hopeless sec-guard, assuming he doesn't take cover and there is good visibility, but it's TN 4 for the second one, TN 6 for the third and TN 8 for the fourth, not so easy anymore.

Now if you're shooting at just one target you do get to shoot four times at TN 2 but if your strreet sam with skill 7(9) needs to shoot him four times then the target is probably hardened or something and you'd be better off picking up an SMG or an assault shotgun with a lot of recoil compensation and letting off a few bursts, or possinly just running for dear life.

+Quote Post
Raiko
post Dec 16 2003, 11:07 AM
Post #23

Samurai

Member No.: 169

QUOTE (Crisp @ Dec 16 2003, 10:05 AM)
Some people will say that this would make gunbunnies (street sam or pistol adepts alike) too powerful

Like I said, take a look through the "Welcome to the Shadows" forum and look how many street samurai already use dual pistols.

If it was a bad choice using the current rules, then nobody would use it, but as it stands dual pistols seems to be a more popular choice for gunbunnies than other high power options, such as Ares Alpha + 10 pts Recoil Comp.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 16 2003, 11:11 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

people still use it, even though it is a bad choice using the current rules. they do it because they think it's cool, whatever the modifiers.

+Quote Post
BumsofTacoma
post Dec 16 2003, 11:22 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,871

dont forget a +2 for aditional targets. it does stack up.

so if you shoot at 4 people it goes 4,6,8,10.

if you power game make it easier, not just for pc's but npc's.

now dual gyromounts on a troll with 2 smgs....

:eek: ack i'll shutup now

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.