> Help with the Rules, Complex Action w/ 1 IP vs 3 IPs
WhiteWolf
post Jun 26 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,770

This pertains to SR4.

When would a person, with one Initiative Pass (IP), taking a Complex Action (CA) complete the CA while fighting a person with three IPs during a combat turn? Would he finish at the end of the combat turn, during the first IP, or some other time?

I believe he would finish at the end of the combat turn.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 26 2008, 03:59 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

That's not the way I understand it. I've always run it that all actions with the exception of those requried an Extended Test are resolved in the initiative pass that they're begun. Thus, someone with on IP fighting someone with 3 IPs who makes a complex action in Pass 1 (their only one) also finishes that action in Pass 1.

However, Extended Tests are different because they specifically indicate the interval of time in between rolls. Thus, an action that has a threshold of 8 and an interval of 1 IP would probably not be finished in the 1-IP-Dude's first pass. Plus, 1-IP-Dude wouldn't actually get to roll again during the opponent's IPs.

You're best bet is to think of IPs as abstract measures of time. They don't represent a second or a fraction thereof, their simply the moment at which one person acts.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Jun 26 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

My understanding as well. It may help to interpret complexity not as duration in this context, but rather as a game balancing mechanism.

+Quote Post
WhiteWolf
post Jun 27 2008, 03:29 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,770

Thanks for the replies.

I do believe that is what the rules state now that I read your comments Dashifen. I was also thinking about movement during a combat round as well and how some of the people on the board mentioned they take the combat round and divided it by 3 or 4 IPs, depending on what their players have to help with movement.

+Quote Post
Lordmalachdrim
post Jun 27 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 5,531

One thing I missed from 2nd Ed was initiative order. Just like in 3rd every 10 points of initiative gave you an extra action for the round, but unlike in 3rd where everyone went once then subtracted 10 and those still with a positive number went again in 2nd it was you went in order of initiative number with all intervening numbers factored in. Example:

Initiative Sam 31
James 8

Order:
31 Sam
21 Sam
11 Sam
8 James
1 Sam

Granted this could make it so a none augmented person would miss the fight, but I think it handled the speed of augmented characters better.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.