Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gun-Kata ...a.k.a. Gun-Fu, More movie inspired madness
JAG
post Dec 16 2003, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,845

Have any GMs out there had any requests to work out the Gun-Kata/Gun-Fu style from Equilibrium?

If so how did you do it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 16 2003, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

I was told to watch that. My friend said the protagonist would make an excellent idea for an SR character.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 16 2003, 04:49 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 100

There have been several threads about this in the past. Do a search on the forum for Equilibrium. Also check the older forums too, there was stuff there.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 16 2003, 04:50 PM
Post #4

Runner

A lot of people here have mixed feeling about the movie. Personally, I think it was great.

+Quote Post
JAG
post Dec 16 2003, 04:52 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 5,845

I did a search and it came back with nothing on the subject on these forums.
Hence why I posted it :grr:

As for the other forums , thanks for the tip but it just links back to these ones :P

A lot of people here have mixed feeling about the movie. Personally, I think it was great.

Me too

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 16 2003, 05:10 PM
Post #6

Runner

Crap, I did the link from memory, hang on and I'll fix it.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 16 2003, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Runner

Fixed

+Quote Post
Kage2020
post Dec 16 2003, 05:20 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 5,555

And, incidentally, the idea of the 'gun kata' has as much a basis in reality as the chambara movies do with more normal martial arts... Erm, which I guess is to say that it does actually exist, just not in the way that it is represented in Equilibrium. And, yes, I've brought up the topic before since I think it makes a more interesting approach to Adepts than the normal overt melee focus...

Kage

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 16 2003, 05:24 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Gun Kata
Equillibrium: Gunkata...
Guns as a Melee Weapon
"Christian Bale's Equalibrium character as a SR NPC/PC", discuss.
Gun Fu - The Legend Continues
Equilibrium (the movie) - ooh, gun kata

Enjoy.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Dec 16 2003, 05:52 PM
Post #10

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

It takes a pretty huge stretch of the imagination to even suggest that any fighting style that exists in reality is in any way similar to the Gun Kata from Equilibrium. There are plenty of close range fighting techniques that are intended to be used with gun drawn. All of them are defensive in nature and most are intended to put some distance between you and your attacker so that A) you don't have to fight them for possession of the gun, B) you don't injure yourself with the gun, C) you don't injure any non-combatants or friendlies around you, and D) the likelyhood of an effective hit is increased.

The whole concept of Gun Kata is movie fiction. I seriously doubt that anything even approaching it will ever be taken seriously in reality. It just isn't safe, much less feasible. But it sure does look cool.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 16 2003, 05:57 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Yes, and as we all know, Shadowrun is anything but fiction. :please:

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 16 2003, 05:59 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Yes, and as we all know, Raygun wasn't answering to:
QUOTE (Kage2020)
And, incidentally, the idea of the 'gun kata' has as much a basis in reality as the chambara movies do with more normal martial arts... Erm, which I guess is to say that it does actually exist, just not in the way that it is represented in Equilibrium.

:please: :please: :please: :please: :please: :please: :please:

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Dec 16 2003, 06:00 PM
Post #13

Mostly Harmless

Kage 2020 suggested that something like Gun Kata exists in reality. It doesn't. That's all I'm saying. You can play the game any way you want.

+Quote Post
Kage2020
post Dec 16 2003, 06:03 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (Raygun)
It takes a pretty huge stretch of the imagination to even suggest that any fighting style that exists in reality is in any way similar to the Gun Kata from Equilibrium..,

You will note that in terms of 'realism' I likened Equilibrium to the chambara/Hong Kong-type martial arts movies...

That does not change the fact that one individual - I forget the name - has specifically developed fighting techniques geared towards the defense and offense with guns... Must... try... to remember the darned name! ;)

Kage

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 16 2003, 06:10 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Dec 16 2003, 11:59 AM)
Yes, and as we all know, Raygun wasn't answering to:
QUOTE (Kage2020)
And, incidentally, the idea of the 'gun kata' has as much a basis in reality as the chambara movies do with more normal martial arts... Erm, which I guess is to say that it does actually exist, just not in the way that it is represented in Equilibrium.

:please: :please: :please: :please: :please: :please: :please:

You mean in response to the first sentence where Kage says it's about as realistic as another made-up movie martial art, or the second sentence where he said that it doesn't exist like it does in the movie but it does exist as a form of entertainment/exercise if nothing else? :please:

Edit: Oops, looks like Kage himself responded before I could find the link. :D

This post has been edited by Doctor Funkenstein: Dec 16 2003, 06:12 PM

+Quote Post
krishcane
post Dec 16 2003, 06:15 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,784

What somehow was missed in the gun kata concept is that people fighting hand-to-hand don't use kata either. They might use lessons learned from kata, but they are not going to try to replicate one of their kata during a fight. Except under the most fantastic coincidence, the kata is not going to be perfectly appropriate to their situation. Anyone trying to do their kata is going to lose quickly as soon as the situation diverges from the example that the kata illustrates.

So there could be gun-kata, sure-- there are stable-range-shooting techniques, point-shooting techniques, and even wounded-return-fire techniques. String a few together for a hypothetical situation, and you've got a gun kata. You still wouldn't kick in a door, go through the kata blindly, and expect to actually hit anyone -- anymore than you would get into a fist fight, close you eyes, execute your kata, and expect to open your eyes to a room full of unconscious foes.

Though I liked the movie, I think Equilibrium smoked from the same kata crack pipe that Karate Kid did when Mr. Miyagi says, "Done correctly, there is no defense against the crane technique."

--K

Edits: Thanks for the gun-kata link. That's funny. The picture on the main page, of the guy in the white suit in a double-pistol kung fu pose amuses me because if he pulls the trigger of the gun in his right hand, he's going to get a hot shell casing up his nose on in his right eye, not to mention temporarily defeaning himself from the noise. I hope for his sake it's not loaded.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Dec 16 2003, 06:15 PM
Post #17

Mostly Harmless

QUOTE (Kage2020)
You will note that in terms of 'realism' I likened Equilibrium to the chambara/Hong Kong-type martial arts movies...

Unfortunately, I didn't know what chambara was and that kept me from inferring to it as a stylization of real martial arts. That's why I had to refer to your "Erm, which I guess is to say that it does actually exist, just not in the way that it is represented in Equilibrium" statement, which seems like a pretty far grasp to me.

That does not change the fact that one individual - I forget the name - has specifically developed fighting techniques geared towards the defense and offense with guns... Must... try... to remember the darned name!

Like I said, there are several real close range firearm techniques. You're probably thinking of Col. Rex Applegate's Point Shooting technique, which dismisses the use of sighted fire on particularly close range targets. It's nothing like the stylized Gun Kata.

QUOTE (From the gunkatta.com FAQ:)
Is [Gun Kata] real?
Unfortunately, no. The kata is real, that is what this site strives to teach, the movements of gunkata. It is pretty to watch, and fun to do. It may have some real-life applications, but we may never really get to know that.

I accidently shot myself in the foot, what should I do?
Stop trying to do gunkata with real guns moron. If you were using a paintball handgun, it's still going to hurt like a bitch though. Be Careful.

So like, who is the man behind this site?
I'm glad you asked. I'm Dan Ferro, 23, from Maryland. I am an aspiring actor myself, and work as a web designer. I have been breakdancing for 5 years now, and do a lot of free-hand art.

[Disclaimer at the bottom of the page] Please don't try any of this with real guns. That would be dangerous and stupid. Remember, it's just a movie. You cannot dodge bullets in real life. The owner of this site in no way encourages or endorses use of real hand guns in practising gunkata.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 16 2003, 06:22 PM
Post #18

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

All katas do is suggest a way you should move in a fight, not tell you how to fight. I can go through katas and work on the flow of everything, but if I try to use said kata in a fight for anything but flow, I'm going to get my ass handed to me.

"Gunfu" is the same way. Guns aren't about looking pretty. Anybody who thinks otherwise isn't going to last long in gang territory.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 16 2003, 06:32 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
You mean in response to the first sentence where Kage says it's about as realistic as another made-up movie martial art, or the second sentence where he said that it doesn't exist like it does in the movie but it does exist as a form of entertainment/exercise if nothing else?

How about them both? Fortunately, your first reply did not in any way refer to whether gun kata exists IRL and in what form, but only to Raygun's "The whole concept of Gun Kata is movie fiction." and the way you (weirdly) interpreted this to mean that Shadowrun can't be (movie) fiction. Probably due to the fact that you wish to argue with Raygun about anything you can, since your views of the preferred level of fiction are so different. (This wannabe-analysis from a bit over a year of similar very short messages full of eye-rolling that are obviously meant to be aggravating that pop up in quite a few threads Raygun has posted in.)

+Quote Post
Cain
post Dec 16 2003, 09:51 PM
Post #20

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Though I liked the movie, I think Equilibrium smoked from the same kata crack pipe that Karate Kid did when Mr. Miyagi says, "Done correctly, there is no defense against the crane technique."

Technically he's correct; done with exacting correctness, every technique is unstoppable. Of course, that rather depends on your opponent doing exactly the wrong thing, your technique being unhumanly perfect, lighting/ground conditions being optimal, you being in perfect shape, and a bajillion other factors that aren't bloody likely to occur together in the real world.

+Quote Post
Dende
post Dec 16 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,837

Acutally he isn't. No technique is unstopable. All of them have at least one flaw that can be exploited or a counter technique, or something that can be used to prevent that technique working in the first place.

+Quote Post
Kage2020
post Dec 16 2003, 11:15 PM
Post #22

Target

QUOTE (Raygun)
...Unfortunately, I didn't know what chambara was...

...You're probably thinking of Col. Rex Applegate's

...It's nothing like the stylized Gun Kata.

First point: Chambara defines the style of martial arts movies where while there is a basis in reality (i.e. real fighting styles) the application is often represented as superhuman or supernatural. This is generally used in reference to the 'Hong Kong kung fu' movies such as, say, Iron Monkey. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is also technically chambara, though upper class.

Thus, again, I was merely pointing out that it was about as plausible as any of those films (to which many RPGs allude to) but was based around a core of truth. That was all... Wasn't quite expecting it to get toasty.

Second point: That's possible, though that name doesn't quite ring a bell at the moment. It would have come up in conversation ages ago and, to be honest, while I practice various martial arts they do not dominate my waking life. Ooh. Not suggesting that is the case with anyone else, just using that as a bit of a 'get out clause'... I'll have to go and have a chat with the person I remember mentioning it, if I can find them. But thanks for the URL. I shall check it out.

Third point: Again, yes I know. That was the point in the chambara reference which is about as much to real life martial arts (though sometimes that can scarily 'supernatural' in itself) as Equilibrium was to the use of firearms in martial arts. Wasn't quite expecting people to jump on the use of "kata" as the suggestion that people would use them in a real life combat situation...

However, compared to that one also has to remember that kata - poomsae, whatever - are representative of formalised combat as much as the swifter pre-arranged sparring types employed by many traditional martial arts. It is not 'just' moves randomly placed together.

Bringing this back to Shadowrun, then depending on the individual style and preference of the GM it is an entirely plausible martial art form. My god, they've got cyber-fighting styles, why not the evolution of this? Yes, a bit hokey but SR is science-fantasy after all... But for those who like a bit of versimilitude then it is interesting to note that it is based in reality.

Kage

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 16 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #23

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Arguably you could learn a form of melee involving guns as weapons:

1. This is how you block a swing with your gun.
2. This is how you snap the barrel forward as a strike
3. This is how you use the gun as a blunt object to strike soft, squishy parts

As for martial techniques that improve your ability to fire the gun...probably not.

Although modern day shooting schools would probably come closest to what you're thinking of, Thunder Ranch, for example.

The Israelies teach a form of "gun-fu" -- trick or tactical shooting. For example, kicking back in a chair and in the same motion knocking a table up as concealment while drawing your weapon. If you believe non-confirmed sources.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Dec 16 2003, 11:26 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I just want to chime in here and say that Equilibrium was a lame movie with only slightly cool fight scenes. They're not worth the hours of lame dialogue and unbelievable nonsense. I rented it once based entirely on forum-hype from around here and now my girlfriend and I use it as a synonym for crap.

Just my opinion. If you're one of those people who often feel cheated by bad movies, stay away.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Dec 16 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Zazen)
They're not worth the hours of lame dialogue and unbelievable nonsense.

DVD (borrowed) and chapter advance button.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.