> Paraplegic hacker, Fine in SR3, scrwed in SR4
Iota
post Jun 30 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,020

Hey all!

An old friend of mine played a paraplegic hacker in the days of SR3 and thought about joining my current group. She wishes to play her old character, but I am not sure what use a paraplegic hacker has in SR4 since for hacking she needs to get close enough to the systems to hack them meaning the team would need to carry her ....

Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 30 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Look at a few of the vehicles in Arsenal. They're designed for just such an occasion.

Armed and Armoured Wheelchair of DOOM!!!

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jun 30 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

There are some "wheelchairs" in Arsenal that could maybe be adapted to be used during runs.

It's possible to stay home most of the time, though. The only cases when the hacker has to go on site would be :
- If the system is wired with no external connection
- If the system is inside a farraday cage or behind walls coated with wireless signal blocking paint with no connection to the outside
- If there's a jammer on the way that disrupts the signals.
In those cases, the hacker will need the team to install a satellite antenna or a wireless router with a high signal rating and to hook it to the system they need to hack. It's not impossible, but it's not really convenient.

Actually that's not really different from SR3...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 30 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Blade @ Jun 30 2008, 07:42 AM) *
It's possible to stay home most of the time, though. The only cases when the hacker has to go on site would be :
- If the system is wired with no external connection
- If the system is inside a farraday cage or behind walls coated with wireless signal blocking paint with no connection to the outside
- If there's a jammer on the way that disrupts the signals.
In those cases, the hacker will need the team to install a satellite antenna or a wireless router with a high signal rating and to hook it to the system they need to hack. It's not impossible, but it's not really convenient.

Actually that's not really different from SR3...

So, the 'Runners would have to carry a really long Fiber Optic cable that ends in a Sat-Link on the outside end, and a computer jack on the other? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Jun 30 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

In SR3, there were systems you had to be physically present to hack - or have a cable/sat receiver hooked up to it by a team mate, drone, spirit, etc. So, nothing really changed.

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Jun 30 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

Pfft

It's a two step program

A) Buy a retransmitter+ sat uplink so you have signal 8 and are functionally immune to jamming

B) buy whoever has skillwires a hardware skillsoft.

Bingo bango, wireless connectivity for everyone.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jun 30 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 30 2008, 02:44 PM) *
So, the 'Runners would have to carry a really long Fiber Optic cable that ends in a Sat-Link on the outside end, and a computer jack on the other? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

As long as there's no jammer/faraday cage/blocking paint on the way, you can use wireless routers. You just need the fiber optic cable where wireless signal don't work so most of the time you'll just need small fiber optic cables to go through walls. The big problem will be that any security spider will notice all those wireless routers and could try to shut them down (or send drones/guards to do it "manually").

+Quote Post
Drogos
post Jun 30 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,746

Our Rigger/Hacker lives in his Horseman PMV from Arsenal. It's just a bit larger than a large Troll, and so can get just about everywhere. There is also the Wheelchair Drone mentioned before and the retransmitter in a drone that would work for most times a Horseman couldn't fit.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 30 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

And, if you group is cash strapped and can't afford all that fancy gear, Troll Muscle is fairly cheap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 30 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

And why wouldn't the hacker, after a couple jobs, just not get new arms and legs?

I understand wanting to play this type of character, but in the setting, it really doesn't make sense. Anyone that has been restricted to a wheelchair, wants to walk again and would give anything to do so. And in SR4, its only a little bit of nuyen to do so...

+Quote Post
Iota
post Jun 30 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (deek @ Jun 30 2008, 01:08 PM) *
And why wouldn't the hacker, after a couple jobs, just not get new arms and legs?

I understand wanting to play this type of character, but in the setting, it really doesn't make sense. Anyone that has been restricted to a wheelchair, wants to walk again and would give anything to do so. And in SR4, its only a little bit of nuyen to do so...

Because the paraplegic thing was a flaw taken at character creation (SR3 rules) which can not be overcome by cyberware.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 30 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

The damage is extensive enough that Cybernetics can't solve it.

HOWEVER, check out things in Augmentation for SR4! Perhaps, if she can save enough, she may be able to WALK!

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 30 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #13

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

... but is viably overcomeable via rigged exoskeleton.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 30 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Iota @ Jun 30 2008, 08:18 AM) *
Because the paraplegic thing was a flaw taken at character creation (SR3 rules) which can not be overcome by cyberware.

I thought we were talking about SR4 here...my mistake.

+Quote Post
Iota
post Jun 30 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #15

Target

QUOTE (deek @ Jun 30 2008, 01:50 PM) *
I thought we were talking about SR4 here...my mistake.

Well actually we are talking about converting this character from SR3 to SR4...with all his "problems"...

Just talked to her an found out that she forgot something she should have told me.

Her character is blind, too. Yeah right, she is a cripple...sorry did not meant to be rude, but I cannot believe her old GM allowed her to play this...

Right now I do not know how I ever should integrate her char in my group...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 30 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Well, if she was a Decker in the old system, those "Disadvantages" aren't really so. Don't need eyes to see the Matrix in it's glory. And, with DNI, don't even need hands that type!

Heck, if she doesn't have too much Cyberware, she most likely was online during Crash 2.0, and might be a Technomancer now! She could see the world through Augmented Reality and all the Wireless-Enabled Cameras that are about!

... Hey! Why didn't anyone tell her she had such a shapely hoop? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Iota
post Jun 30 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #17

Target

Thx CanRay, cannot believe I had not the idea myself. Converting her into a technomancer is a great solution. And in a horseman with some cameras and other modifications she might be even able to survive on her own. I have to make a phone call, someone will be quite happy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 30 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Yeah, well, get Unwired, it's got rules for AIPS, which she probably suffers from as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

And, again, there's genetic engeneering and other things going on now that, if she can get the cash and contacts for, would allow her to walk! Of course, she might see everyone else as being Cripples because they don't get to tool around in the "Wheelchair of DOOM!"

"Stupid Bipeds."

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 30 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Yeah ... because for a 'mancer, walking into a corp lab and asking to have some genetic engineering done on her is a really, really smart idea ...

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 30 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

I've been known to play a disabled character from time to time. The thing is, I (and probably your player as well) do it in a way that the character is still viable (otherwise, where is the fun in that?). I had a character in another game that was deaf, but could hear radio waves, so it was just a different way to communicate.

If that is the case with this character, it probably doesn't matter as much about the technical specs of the wheelchair and whatnot. As long as she can remotely access her team and matrix, then she'd probably be set. You really don't need rules for the rest of it, cause it is fluff. Whether stuck in a wheelchair or a hacker that is afraid to leave his 10x10 room...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 30 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (deek @ Jun 30 2008, 09:59 AM) *
Whether stuck in a wheelchair or a hacker that is afraid to leave his 10x10 room...

Which is all the more appropriate if said Hacker is an Ork, and has the electronic gizmos on a chest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post Jun 30 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

I had a friend who played what amounted to Verne Troyer with extensive spinal trauma and four amputated limbs. The things we do to get someone to try a new system. He wanted this human tragedy to be a rigger, and to that end purchased an anthroform drone with a decent sized storage compartment which, you guessed it, he rode in. The only thing that made me go for it was the fact it had a hybrid Diesel/Electric engine. According to the rules anytime he wanted to go faster than the listed 15 kph he had to start the diesel, which he preferred to do by rip starting the cord. Rather than listening to his teammates who didn't want to take the elevator with him while it was running (he had enviroseal), he went on to get his beloved NO2 system which would have lead to his demise if the game hadn't fallen apart first.

Granted we weren't playing that serious of a campaign or that type of thing would be right out. Hell, one character even got each member of the party a level 3 linguasoft of "That language the dude from 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' spoke" so they could communicate secretly. It all depends on your game, but a PMV or Chair-O-Doom would great for this type of character. Best bet might be to talk the player out of so many flaws (or limit the flaws) and say that in the time that past medicine improved and they improved their live as well.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 30 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

And, if medicine improved, it's probably still expensive, especially without a SIN.

Which would give yet more reason for 'Running, to pay off debts! Or just to survive!

FYI, one of the characters I had written up had broken his back in the early part of Bug City, and can now only walk, and that with pain. So an inability to run might be a good compensation for not being bedridden any longer, and also give reason for the WHEELCHAIR OF DOOM!!!

What? I like the WoD. If only I could get Golf Carts, it'd be that much better!

+Quote Post
Drogos
post Jun 30 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,746

I'm feeling the Segway of DOOM myself. It seems that much more ominous what with the upright standing and all.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 30 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Yeah, but the Wheelchair of DOOM has that "I just got my hoop kicked by Stephen Hawking!" feel to it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:38 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.