IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Real LIfe: alarm goes off in my head, ? Been playing SR too long?
pbangarth
post Jul 6 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #1

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

So I have this summer job while I finish writing my dissertation. My teammate and I go around the big city, to randomly generated locations, and measure a standard size plot, counting trees, shrubs and other plants as well as building cover, cement, etc. We get a picture of the urban forest this way, to determine effects of the forest on air quality, cooling of the environment, etc.

Sometimes the random plot falls in a park. Sometimes on the landing strip in the airport. And sometimes in the back yard of one of the many businesses. Like Friday, when we went to a shop that converts vehicles to run on propane. Lots of trucks, cars, etc. parked all over the gravel lot. We asked for permission to go to the back and count and measure trees.

The young guy we first asked pointed to another guy, who spoke in a heavy Russian accent and said it was OK, but we should check with the boss. So we went to the boss. After our spiel on what we do, he says, again heavily accented, "Sure. Go ahead. Ve are de good guys."

*ALARM* I wonder what really goes on in that shop.

Peter

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 6 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

certainly no front for the vory v zakone . . no sir, not at all, because they would not say that they are the good guys *g*

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 6 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,383

Luckily when they tried to kill you while you were out back you used your monowhip and your Improved Reflexes III to pwn them, right?

Right?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 6 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

In Soviet Russia, the trees count you.

And that incredibly lame joke suddenly turned into a horrific vision of malevolent spirit-possessed trees with evil predatory grins and huge wooden teeth pointing to people with their gnarled claw-like branches and counting them one-by one and the frightened humans wet themselves in fear and anticipation.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jul 6 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Guess you never had the chance to casually chat with an old chinese guy surrounded by 2 younger guys in suits during a concert in Hong Kong before realizing (and getting the confirmation) that he was a Triad boss... Nice guy, really.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 7 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

ok, i don't have huge crime syndicats to offer . . but without realizing i met and chatted with members of both hells angels and bandidos . . of course not at the same time and i made damn sure to stay away from those places later on x.x . .

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post Jul 7 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

Never refuse the hospitality of an Iranian gangster from the East End when it is offered a second time. It's not lightly offered and is uniformly excellent. Refusing once is allowable as modesty of the guest not wanting to impose, but more than that implies mistrust and practically open enmity unless you have a watertight reason that you can't at that time.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jul 7 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 6 2008, 03:21 PM) *

And that incredibly lame joke suddenly turned into a horrific vision of malevolent spirit-possessed trees with evil predatory grins and huge wooden teeth pointing to people with their gnarled claw-like branches and counting them one-by one and the frightened humans wet themselves in fear and anticipation.

Ha, that reminds me of this...http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05042002.shtml

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 7 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 6 2008, 04:21 PM) *

This reminds me of something from a web comic called Something Positive. The Redneck tree folk. Imagine Deliverance, but with tree sap in uncomfortable places.

-paws
(Oh internet, how I hate thee...)

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jul 7 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

paws2sky, see previous post... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 7 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #11

Running Target

D'oh. That's what I get for trying to post between phone calls... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

+Quote Post
Rad
post Jul 7 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,715

The Vory, huh? I just pegged it as a front for a chop-shop. Seems a little pedestrian for their tastes... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 7 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Satan's Choice used to have a nice clubhouse in my hometown. Unfortunetly, IIRC, they didn't have enough members any longer to keep a charter, so they're gone.

That said, I think I found a front of some sort close to where I used to live. It was a butcher shop, where half the fridges were empty, 2/3 of the shelves were empty, and the canned goods on the shelves were old and covered in dust. The service was bad as well.

It might have just been the bad service, however.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jul 7 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #14

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

We had a oriental restaurant that could have been a front. The place was way to up market for Rotherham and there where some interesting people walking into the back quite often. But that said it disaperd a few months later for no reason it had really good bisnusse.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 7 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #15

Running Target

There were a couple places in town that my friends and I always joked just had to be some kind of front.

The first was a fondue restaurant, which remained open for years despite us having never seen more than five or six cars in the parking lot at a time. And that was on a Friday night...

Another is a drug store north of campus. Last time I was in there, which was about 9 years ago, they had stuff on the shelves that was:
1) covered in a layer of dust
2) had products with boxes that had faded from sunlight
and
3) had a couple items that had been recalled at least years earlier for causing birth defects

-paws

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jul 7 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

I wrote some stuff about the Russian Mafia, but it is none of your business. Carry on. Just that because Italian mobsters in movies follow a code does not mean such a code actually exists.

However if you think you are hardcore I could introduce you to some of the Albanian Mafia for a price. You pay first and we'll talk after your meet and greet.

-Chrysalis

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 7 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #17

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

codes of honor are no longer as stringently upheld as the ones was...

in one way thats a bad thing, but to much focus on honor can be just as troublesome...

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jul 7 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #18

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

To be quite honest I could delve deep in to the underground with the contacts I know. Pro hackers pyromaniacs how can make OK guns from steel BBs and some steel. Ex and current drug dealers and suppliers. The black market could be wide open to me if i had the time money and determination to follow though the leads I have. I even know an underground Resistance group focus on resiting invaders or a croupet governments if such things ever happen.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 7 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 7 2008, 03:08 PM) *
codes of honor are no longer as stringently upheld as the ones was...

"Bah! Kids today, no respect! In my day, we had respect! Sure, we'd wack a guy, but we'd do it right, yaknow. Allow him to have a nice burial and all that. Open casket and everything."

"What about Jimmy Two-Noses?"

"He was a rat, and had no family, he deserved the burial at sea."

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 7 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #20

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jul 8 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

For my amusement:

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05012002.shtml

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.