IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help me find something, if you will., My brain went *THUD*!
DTFarstar
post Jul 12 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,421

There was a thread a goodly little time back that started as an offshoot of the Cain Challenges- I think- where people posted their different builds of Mr. Lucky, there were some gunslingers and maybe a hacker, and a couple of particularly good mages. I thought I had it bookmarked, but I cannot for the life of me find it. If anyone remembers this thread and can direct me to it, or wants to start it up again by posting a particularly "Lucky" (5+ edge) build, I would appreciate it.

Chris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 12 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

close to impossible to find something with the board internal search engine . . kinda the same problem with allmost all boards somehow . .
and why the hell can i not search on forums.dumpshock.com using google search? that would be much easier x.x

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 12 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Is it this thread?
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=18257

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Jul 12 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

Hah! Yes, thank you, Tarantula. Much appreciated, I'm making a mage similar to the combat lucky mage and I wanted to see what they had done to know if I needed to cannibalize it.

Oh, Stahlseele, I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, I'm assuming you were but if you weren't you can ignore this.

I guess I should have mentioned it in my first post, but I spent close to an hour earlier with both of the search functions mentioned above- board search engine and google advanced at dumpshock.forums.com- with zero luck. I kept pulling up threads I knew existed around the same time as this one, but if you remember when this happened there were a lot of Mr. Lucky threads up then. I realize Tarantula- nice guy that he is- probably did manage to pull this out of one of those search engines and I applaud him for it. The "My Brain went *THUD*!" part of the title was related to the fact that apparently it failed me in my searching. I realize you probably don't know much about me, you prefer SR3 and I've never played it so for awhile we ran largely in completely separate parts of the forum, but it is a pretty safe bet to assume if I am willing to swallow my pride and shame myself by posting a thread like this then I really want the information(the mage I am replacing was also mine and just got shot in the face as he was leaving a very high society party - so I need this character to be really good for the BP) and I have already exhausted my ability to find it myself.

Anyway, sorry for the little mini-rant, it is just a little insulting to think that you would think I would just randomly make threads to find stuff without looking for it first. That indicates laziness of an extreme amount as well as little to no pride in oneself, and I like to think I am better than that.

Thank you again, Tarantula.

Chris

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 13 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #5

Dragon

Lol, yes, indeed, I took the dumpshock search, said find Lucky in the title, and voila.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 13 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Jul 12 2008, 11:52 PM) *
Hah! Yes, thank you, Tarantula. Much appreciated, I'm making a mage similar to the combat lucky mage and I wanted to see what they had done to know if I needed to cannibalize it.

Oh, Stahlseele, I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, I'm assuming you were but if you weren't you can ignore this.

I guess I should have mentioned it in my first post, but I spent close to an hour earlier with both of the search functions mentioned above- board search engine and google advanced at dumpshock.forums.com- with zero luck. I kept pulling up threads I knew existed around the same time as this one, but if you remember when this happened there were a lot of Mr. Lucky threads up then. I realize Tarantula- nice guy that he is- probably did manage to pull this out of one of those search engines and I applaud him for it. The "My Brain went *THUD*!" part of the title was related to the fact that apparently it failed me in my searching. I realize you probably don't know much about me, you prefer SR3 and I've never played it so for awhile we ran largely in completely separate parts of the forum, but it is a pretty safe bet to assume if I am willing to swallow my pride and shame myself by posting a thread like this then I really want the information(the mage I am replacing was also mine and just got shot in the face as he was leaving a very high society party - so I need this character to be really good for the BP) and I have already exhausted my ability to find it myself.

Anyway, sorry for the little mini-rant, it is just a little insulting to think that you would think I would just randomly make threads to find stuff without looking for it first. That indicates laziness of an extreme amount as well as little to no pride in oneself, and I like to think I am better than that.

Thank you again, Tarantula.

Chris

nah, i was being honest, because i spent quite some time(about an hour too) trying to find that damn thread for you too . . wonder how old spider managed to find that O.o
i used different seearch words like lucky, mage, edge and combinations . . and it did not herald the wished results for me x.x

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 13 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Just for kicks, I showed how I found it... I'm bored, so don't take offense at it.
How to use the advanced search...
The results that come back...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 13 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

ok, just for that i gave you a 5 star rating spider o.o

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 13 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #9

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 12 2008, 06:39 AM) *
close to impossible to find something with the board internal search engine . . kinda the same problem with allmost all boards somehow . .
and why the hell can i not search on forums.dumpshock.com using google search? that would be much easier x.x

While I can't be sure (not having access to the server and all) I suspect it's a matter of bandwidth. I administer about four forums of my own and if I let the google index the forum, my bandwidth usage increases by a factor of four. Depending on the bandwidth needs of the DSF, that could be a lot of bandwidth.

And, it gets worse: the google bot which indexes sites is reasonably dumb. It can get stuck if a link from thread A goes to thread B and then thread B links back to thread A (with any number of other threads in between). That bot will just loop around in the threads requesting data all the time. Thus, it can be quite expensive to let the major search engines crawl the forum.

Sucks, but there you go.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 14 2008, 08:37 AM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

ok, seeing that reasoning, i can understand it . . didn't know about that before <.< . .

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.