Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teaching Beginners, At a Convention no less
bofh
post Jul 13 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,065

Ok, I've volunteered to run a Shadowrun 4th session at the upcoming Tacticon in Denver. I'm using one of the 4th Ed Missions that I recently ran for my current group so I'll be pretty familiar with the scenario.

One of the questions asked by the organizer is what level of player should attend. I selected Beginner to Intermediate and that I'd be willing to teach beginners.

I tend to run investigative heavy, combat light to medium sessions. I've been using the cheat sheets (with modifications and notes) to help out from time to time.

So is there a good beginner set of text available somewhere? A little one or two page sheet on the various archetypes?

I created a small mage one that I'm still updating as I pick up new tidbits from reading here. It's not the be all and end all but it has been helpful to a couple of my players who haven't played mages before.

http://www.shadowrun.us/sr4/mage

So something similar maybe?

Thanks

Carl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 13 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

main problem with this for shadowrun is the complete lack of really defined archetypes . . anyone and their mom has a different image of a mage for example . .
other than that, there's no such description of any of the archetypes as far as i know . .
Phys-Adept: think batman done through magic here . .
Samurai: think batman built with toys instead of magic . .
Hacker: basically a coder-nerd and tech-monkey
shaman: kinda like a mage, but more on the spiritual side than the mathmatics . .

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 13 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #3

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

If you have the capability, speak with the coordinators of the con and see if they're willing to link the Quick Start rules to the description of your event. Then, beginners might be able to download and read the rules first.

+Quote Post
bofh
post Jul 13 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jul 13 2008, 04:55 PM) *
If you have the capability, speak with the coordinators of the con and see if they're willing to link the Quick Start rules to the description of your event. Then, beginners might be able to download and read the rules first.

Unfortunately it's too late for that. It took a sideways route in order to just get into the catalog and it was at the last minute. The Denver Gamers don't seem to be good at chasing down GM's. If you've figured it out and GM'd for the con before, you're on the mailing list. But you have to find someone who knows who the RPG coordinator is in order to get in the catalog. I happened to mention it over on PenAndPaperGames and someone spotted it and provided the e-mail address which is how I got in this year.

But I do have the rules printed out already. Maybe it'll be helpful for the beginners. Thanks.

(Each time I see you name, I think of the Dashen I think they were called, in the Well of Souls series (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ).

Carl

+Quote Post
bofh
post Jul 13 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 13 2008, 02:12 PM) *
main problem with this for shadowrun is the complete lack of really defined archetypes . . anyone and their mom has a different image of a mage for example . .
other than that, there's no such description of any of the archetypes as far as i know . .
Phys-Adept: think batman done through magic here . .
Samurai: think batman built with toys instead of magic . .
Hacker: basically a coder-nerd and tech-monkey
shaman: kinda like a mage, but more on the spiritual side than the mathmatics . .

Thanks. That's sort of what I was thinking too but was hoping. Really there are a few general types with the ability to pick and choose skills and merge into a unique person. So Mage with the various traditions and the Adepts, Hacker and Rigger, and Street Sam with or without chrome.

Sort of a general Mage sheet. General Matrix sheet. And general Combat sheet.

Thanks though. That's an idea as well. Comparisons do work for folks unfamiliar with the setting.

Carl

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jul 14 2008, 01:27 AM
Post #6

The back-up plan

Member No.: 3,910

Beyond the Quick Start Rules and Aaron's cheat sheets, the only thing I use to teach new players is Patience. I've run demos at the CGL booth in the past where I taught anyone who walked up the basics of Combat, Magic and the Matrix each in a 10-15 minute demo where they learn the premise, apply it, and then ask any follow up questions while we wrap-up.

At the tables, I generally take the 10 minutes where my players are sitting down and pulling out characters to find out who has and hasn't played SR before. If they have never played, I hand them a copy of the archetypes and ask them to pick one. I generally recommend that they choose a concept which they understand and can think about--mercenary, hacker, smuggler, etc. Understanding the general concept behind the character is going to be the hardest part. From there, I go over the basic dice mechanics--success tests, opposed tests, and extended tests. Then we start to play.

Throughout the session, I'll ask players to make tests and prompt newer players with the stat and skill combinations to make the tests. The rules are really simple until you go into the exception cases. Rather than go into the intricacies of one-offs, I hedge my bets and explain that there are expanded rules for certain things, but that I'm simplifying it to keep the game running smoothly. I also let them know that if they have questions afterwards, I will gladly talk with them.

Whenever you are at a con with a CGL booth, pimp the booth demo. From the time the dealer room opens until it closes, there is always one or more GMs working the booth just running demos and teaching people how to play the game. This can be a great place for new players to get more exposure to the system and generally the players will get more face time with a GM who can talk about the rules and the setting than is possible with GMs who are running back to back sessions.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 14 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #7

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

For any new player, always make sure you find a way for them to do at least a couple of things where you do a test and go through the results. I always make sure to go around the table and make sure each player has gone through at least one dice test of some kind within the first hour. This engages them, and it;s amazing how many of them open up and start playing with interest once you walked through a test early in the session.

+Quote Post
bofh
post Jul 14 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Good ideas there, thanks. I had intended on doing the check at the beginning and engaging the more experienced folks to run through a couple of quick demos. I don't want to take too long of course as I only have 4 hours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) And I have all the Archetypes from the BBB already in sheets so they're ready to hand out if necessary (I did say characters would be provided).

I've been to the last four cons here in town and no CGL presence to be found. Either I didn't find them (there are lots of rooms) or they just weren't there. When I posted the Genghis Con one for February, someone commented that no Shadowrun games were being run which is part of the reason I'm running one in this con.

Maybe I can get setup before 2pm if the table's available and go over a few quick things before things start getting hot. It's the reason I wanted to locate a "cheat" sheet, or at least whip one up.

Carl

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jul 14 2008, 04:33 AM
Post #9

The back-up plan

Member No.: 3,910

Have you checked out Aaron's page? There are some great cheat sheets there if you don't have them already. I print out the 4-up cards and bring a set for each player that I expect at a game. The experienced players take them to teach their friends and the new folks use them to learn.

+Quote Post
bofh
post Jul 14 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 13 2008, 10:33 PM) *
Have you checked out Aaron's page? There are some great cheat sheets there if you don't have them already. I print out the 4-up cards and bring a set for each player that I expect at a game. The experienced players take them to teach their friends and the new folks use them to learn.

Absolutely. They've been real helpful for my games as I got back into GMing. I made notes on the sheets for what some acronyms meant and where to find the requested information. I'll check out the 4-up cards.

Just took a look at it and it looks like the full cheat sheet download and not something I'd expect to be printed for to a sheet of card stock unless I'm not understanding how to print them. It says it's 12 pages but there are 15 pages and the bookmark doesn't show the NPC page at the end. I suspect there's a missing link or a bad pdf compile.

Carl

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 14 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #11

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (bofh @ Jul 13 2008, 09:28 PM) *
Good ideas there, thanks. I had intended on doing the check at the beginning and engaging the more experienced folks to run through a couple of quick demos.

I get more positive feedback and participation from new players when I do the "demo" Dice Test with the new player, with the experienced supporting.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.