Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1" Square Mat Scale
poboy
post Jul 14 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,761

I have never seen it listed in SR, but does anyone here your 1" square mats to run combat scenarios with, and if so what scale do you make 1"?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Jul 14 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

I do. I make 1" = 1 meter.

+Quote Post
Ki Ryn
post Jul 14 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 8,467

It's a pain, but I go with 1.5m per square as otherwise the miniatures are too big or too small.

I should look into getting a differently sized mat as one-and-a-half inch squares would probably be close enough to "1 square = 2 meters" to work.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 14 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #4

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

On the rare occasions I've done it, I've used a hex mat, and 1 hex has been anything from 1m, 2m, or 5m, depending on how large the area and how much granularity I was expecting to need.
An indoor setting where I'm expecting a brawl would definitely require higher resolution, but I've also done just fine with 5m hexes in a very large outdoor setting with a long-range firefight.
I see no particular reason why it must be consistent from map to map, as long as there's a scale.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Jul 14 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Though I don't actually use squares or hexes in my game, I think that there is a certain elegance to having each square be 2 meters. It's a good compromise of size (allows a fairly long-range firefight to transition seemlessly to a brawl) and each hit on a Sprint test equals 1 square of movement. I've been thinking about starting to use maps for some combats (blame D&D 4E), and I think I'll likely do it that way. Though I'd likely enforce a "1-2-1" rule for diagonal moves. (First diagonal move in a turn counts as 1 square of movement, the second as 2, the third as 1 again, and so on). Free diagonal movement tends to trivialize a lot of obstacles and terrain, in my experience.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jul 15 2008, 04:04 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

Although it has a few disadvantages over square grid, hex grid is far more useful overall, particularly for diagonal movement. A good general scale would be 1 hex = 2m, although depending on the size of the area you are mapping, you can use any of the following without to much issue - 1 hex = 1m/2m/5m/10m/20m.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 15 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #7

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I've been considering using a mat in the future. I've never used one in the past, instead opting to use blackboards and chalk to draw the terrain and the placement of the various combatants. Can someone give me the benefits to using a mat? The only one I really see is that movement and distance is exactly specified by the dimensions of the mat, but I'm not sure that such a level of specificity is really necessary.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jul 15 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jul 15 2008, 08:28 AM) *
I've been considering using a mat in the future. I've never used one in the past, instead opting to use blackboards and chalk to draw the terrain and the placement of the various combatants. Can someone give me the benefits to using a mat? The only one I really see is that movement and distance is exactly specified by the dimensions of the mat, but I'm not sure that such a level of specificity is really necessary.

It is portable.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Jul 15 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jul 15 2008, 09:28 AM) *

I've utilized wet-erase battlemats in the past and used markers to render walls, foliage, boxes, what have you. I would scale the mat up or down (1"=1 meter to 1"=5 meters to whatever) as needed. I made Cardboard Heroes style figures for my players and my NPCs. It was handy for showing range and line of sight and keeping track of where everyone was located in an encounter. I've switched to using a projected map image on a whiteboard using a projector and a laptop loaded with Photoshop. And I made icons for each character that I move at the player's request.

Battlemaps are useful for short range and melee combat. But if you're shooting rockets, sniping from vast distances, or are engaged in aerial combat there isn't much point. It all depends on your style of play.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jul 16 2008, 05:48 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

I prefer a hex mat (when I bother to use one) with the hexes on 2 meter centers. (You can use 5 feet centers if you like.) A "diagonal" move is much closer to 2 moves than squares. (1.73 versus 1.41)

Also works better with the d6 mechanic of SR.

As always, YMMV.

+Quote Post
sinthalix
post Jul 16 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,483

I use a battlemat with the squares for all my games. 1"=1m.

I also carry around a cheap tape measure for those times you need to calculate distance and the characters aren't in a straight line. I find it works perfectly for everything but grenade scatter, but that's a simple problem to work around.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Jul 17 2008, 04:27 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

The best setup I've seen was a ceiling mounted projector aimed down at the table. It let the game master use a computer for the maps, and terrain, while the characters and NPCs were represented by miniatures.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jul 17 2008, 04:39 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

We used a projector for the first time last week. It was very smooth and much applauded.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:14 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.