Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Loading Agents into a Node
Magus
post Jul 14 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,644

How does a Hacker load an agent into a node?
Does the Agent have to either have the same passcode as the hacker? Or does it have to roll Pilot + Exploit to hack in?

Unwired p.110
For an agent to operate independently of its
controlling persona, it must be loaded into a node
the persona has access to. The agent logs into an account
like any Matrix user (either using passcodes or
exploits) and has whatever privileges that account
applies.

If not then what action does the Hacker have to make to copy the agent? Does the agent have to hack by itself into the next node of the network if the Hacker does?

Unwired is kinda vague on this point. I have a hacker that drops a rating 6 agent with him into the node as a simple action and the agent acts on its own. I wanted to know if there is any type of roll needed.
Hacker typically rolls 19 + dice to typically get Security and sometime Admin level access.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 15 2008, 01:18 AM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

This one is one of those "up-to-the-GM" moments, AFAIK. Personally, I usually have it depend on the system. Lower-end systems (or public ones) won't require much of anything and may not have any way of detecting the load. Higher-end systems may restrict the ability of users to run software on the node's hardware of any type requiring an Edit test (IMO) to offload the Agent.

Regardless, don't forget that once the Agent is operating independently, you can always force a Pilot test to determine if the Agent understands what the Hacker is asking it to do and the Hacker has to take a Simple Action to command the Agent to do something other than what it's scripted or previously commanded to do.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 15 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Its pretty clear, to load an agent, the agent must login with passcodes, or hack with exploit. A hacker could either hack his own admin account, create an account for the agent (edit) and then have the agent log in to that account, or let the agent hack its own way in. Those are your options.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Jul 15 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Thanks guys. That gives me a starting point.
So once the agent is loaded on the node with the script to "Protect Me" all that it will do on its own is protect the hacker if he engages in Cybercombat. If an IC icon decloakes when the Hacker analyzes it and attacks it does the Agent automatically 'see' the IC?
On the flip side if the IC attacks the Hacker icon and the Hacker misses his analyze check would the IC get a surprise attack? Would it then become visible to Hacker and Agent without perception rolls? Or if there is a backup team member supporting the Hacker would he see the IC if it attacks only the Hacker?

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 15 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #5

Technomancer

If the IC is not running stealth, then yes, the Agent will automatically perceive it. If the IC is running stealth, then there would be a Pilot + Analyze vs. Pilot + Stealth test for the Agent vs. the IC and if the Agent wins, then it sees the IC.

As for the IC getting a free attack on the hacker if the hacker doesn't perceive it, that's too bad for the hacker. The hacker would know that *something* hit him and may have caused damage, but he wouldn't know where the attack was coming from yet.

The backup team member would also need to beat the IC's stealth to perceive it.

Granted, all of this is moot if the IC doesn't run stealth. In that case, it's a visible icon the whole damn time and everyone can jump it if they need to.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jul 15 2008, 02:34 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

If you're planning on using agents independent of your Hacker I'd recommend brushing up on the sections on Mass Probes and Backdoors.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Jul 15 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Thanks Dash.
I thought that once upon a time you had some Matrix docs on a site? Or am I misremembering.

Cheops I will look into those. I am currently re-reading Unwired and will pay more attention to those sections.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 16 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #8

Technomancer

I don't recall, but I start a lot more projects than I ever have time to finish so it's possible. I was involved in various threads here on the forums re: the matrix, but I don't specifically recall anything else that I've done.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jul 16 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #9

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

You might be searching for Knassers work, which you will find on Aarons site: pavao.org

DonĀ“t forget to check out the cheat sheets on the same page.

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Jul 17 2008, 05:06 AM
Post #10

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

He has access to all those cheat sheets when he is running games here at the house.

Oh and yes master I read the dam book (well some of it anyway we will need to talk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ).

For those of you still woundering yes I am the bad hacker wreaking havok on the poor GM.

On the other side of the coin he did it to me first in my games. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

+Quote Post
Magus
post Jul 17 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Casazil @ Jul 17 2008, 12:06 AM) *
He has access to all those cheat sheets when he is running games here at the house.

Oh and yes master I read the dam book (well some of it anyway we will need to talk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ).

For those of you still woundering yes I am the bad hacker wreaking havok on the poor GM.

On the other side of the coin he did it to me first in my games. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

Bad Cas!! ::pulls out the squirt bottle and the rolled up newspaper:: Bad Cas, go sit in the corner!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.