Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> avatar, good show
Hocus Pocus
post Jul 17 2008, 03:00 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

this show on nickalodean has characters "bending" elements. 5 episodes culminating with the final showdun on saturday night. Am happy to able to see the finale. I recomend it, very good story and development. Might give ya some ideas about yer magic characters and how they miniuplate the elements also martial arts in general, cool how they combine the two. Watch it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Drogos
post Jul 17 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,746

Earth Bending FTW!!!

The GF and I have been taking time to watch them and that's what we determined. A great way to corrup...er...interest the kids in anime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 17 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

ah yes, the last airbender:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 17 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

Not exactly on topic for SR, but, yeah, its a great show. My wife, son, and I are completely hooked. I'm a little sad to see it end, but... oh well.

-paws

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 17 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

I have the first two boxed sets, I can't wait to get the last one so I can finally watch it all, it's great watching it in order rather than waiting for Nick to air them.

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Jul 18 2008, 03:25 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

bah i was posting and my comp froze and i forgot to put in the links i was gonna.

back from hiatus trailer which unfortunately i didn't see cause i didn't have cable. Awesome music and preview and shows pretty much the main characters .can somebody tell me what happend with the invasion of the fire nation? i assumed uncle died, anything else major happen? i know they were repulsed.

Sozin's Comet it means this saturday night coming.

all my chinese zodiac signs point to me as fire as my element and nothing else.

it has inspired me to take up my claestenics again and i have used some fire bending techinques in my excercises.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 18 2008, 05:48 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Jul 17 2008, 10:25 PM) *
bah i was posting and my comp froze and i forgot to put in the links i was gonna.

back from hiatus trailer which unfortunately i didn't see cause i didn't have cable. Awesome music and preview and shows pretty much the main characters .can somebody tell me what happend with the invasion of the fire nation? i assumed uncle died, anything else major happen? i know they were repulsed.

Sozin's Comet it means this saturday night coming.

all my chinese zodiac signs point to me as fire as my element and nothing else.

it has inspired me to take up my claestenics again and i have used some fire bending techinques in my excercises.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Jul 21 2008, 03:49 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Airbending slice!

[ Spoiler ]

many different episodes in the past that i liked, but the ones hiting me recently were the songs.

now the wandering Nomads (aka hippies) had some pretty cool songs Secret Tunnel and don't let the cave-in get you down . normally IRL i'd mace and club them hippies, but i must admit i would probably "grove" out with these characters. Man if i coudl only let loose of all the stress and worries.

and of course little soldier boy very profound. iroh's son dying and the guy that voiced the character passed away. so sad. and on a personal note the songs helps me relate to my own life, as i sit in the dark drinking beer lamenting my lost youth and henpeckedness. If you can manage it, shed a tear for me...

well i don't know if they be on again. but you can go to the nick site and see the show and gain some useful insights into possible shadowrun characters. Might tinker with it myself to see if you can make a character. An elemental physical magician? sound interesting.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 21 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Yeah, I'm a bit sad that this story is over. The creators did mention somewhere that they're not done with this world. So who knows what's up. They did leave open of what exactly happened to Zuko's mom. Who's been mentioned at other times, including in the invasion of the Fire nation episode, see the throne room scene between Zuko and Ozai. I doubt they'll make a book four called Air, Aang is the last airbender and the whole story is about him as air as he visits the other nations, I could be wrong, but it fits more if they didn't make an 'Air' chapter. Maybe they can do a movie, such as stuff in the past, a special of Zuko finding his mother, maybe another series that takes place further on? I do wonder how the live action movie they're planning will turn out...

Yeah, Mark Hamill is a great voice actor, he does crazy characters, just like in Batman: TAS as the Joker.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 21 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Jul 20 2008, 10:49 PM) *
Airbending slice!

Airship slice!, you mean! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Overall, I was pretty pleased with s3e16 through the finale. Southern Raiders was a great showcase for Kitara's general bad assitude. Ember Island Players was hit or miss; painfully funny at times, boring at others. The finale though... very cool.

Something did occur to me after watching the finale:
[ Spoiler ]

-paws

+Quote Post
Drogos
post Jul 21 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Duh, it's all about repopulation. Aang is going to have kids, and then they'll have kids. By the time it reaches back around to Air Avatar, there should be 3-5 generations of Aang's linegae running aorund.

Still, Earth Bending FTW!!!!

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 21 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #12

Running Target

That's possible too.

[ Spoiler ]

-paws

+Quote Post
Drogos
post Jul 21 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

True, but I presume they will be getting mad busy, what with all the pent up affection between them...man do I feel dirtier just for typing that.

So to link back to Shadowrun...I want to make an Earth Bender, how do I do it (without playing a Free Earth Spirit)?

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 21 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Yes, your mind is dirty. They're kids... Eww.

Anyway... I was pondering an Avatar RPG too.

A friend of a friend ran one under GURPS, and it was quite successful from what I understand. He piecemealed the psionics and magic systems, rather than create a specific bending description from scratch. The noteworthy fighting styles (including those whipass fire nation archers) from the show were represented via the martial arts rules.

In SR though...

The basic powers of a bender would be: Shape (element), Flamethrower/Fireball (and their elemental variations), barrier spells, and element-oriented detection spells, levitate, etc. And really, they're not much more to it. Definitely no summoning. These guys are sorcery aspect magicians. Heck... Most would probably be Mystic Adepts.

The thing about bending that makes it mildly awkward for SR's magic system is that are a lot of specific restrictions on how they use their powers. For instance, most benders have a completely crippling version of the Geas (Gestures)... Its not that they're down a point of Magic, they just can't bend. Period.

They're also limited in their ability to advance, spell-wise anyway. Once you have your selection of spells, and maxed spellcasting, and high initiate grade... they're not really anywhere for you to go, except to maybe do the Kitara/Toph thing and start inventing/learning new forms of bending: Metal Bending, Blood Bending (which is just Control Actions), and so on.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 21 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #15

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Moving this to Gen gaming, since the Magic/Bending in the show doesn't really apply much to Shadowrun. It does apply to something like Exalted or other games of that bend, and could be an interesting, much more high-powered version of Shadowrun, but... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Good show, final epsiode was excellent.

Someone said this on RPGnet, and watching the final episode, I have to agree... It's amazing how much story they pack into each epidoe. Even given the finale was a 3-part episode, I was actually shocked when the title card for the final episode came on, because I figured we were long past that and they were going to have to rush the final fight. Seriously, the writers desrve a ton of credit, for giving us at least an hours worth of story in every 22 minute epidoes.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 21 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #16

Running Target

I think one of the things that really hooked me about the show is that, even though it was written with a younger audience in mind, it wasn't dumbed down. It didn't go for the easy answer to the tough questions (killing, love, etc.). There were some morals to the stories, but at the same time, they didn't beat you over the head with them unless it was critical to the character.

And, oh yeah, the episodes are packed full of story. And its story that you can actually follow without first reading a manga to fill in all the missing pieces.

-paws

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 21 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #17

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

I actually had SR variations of Azula, Ty Lee, Zuko and Mai (all Shaanxi nobles and physads (Mai, Ty Lee) and elementalists (Zuko, Azula)) pop up in a random visit to Dante's the other day. Fun. Especially Azula, but I'm fond of that character anyway.

I think one of the things that really hooked me about the show is that, even though it was written with a younger audience in mind, it wasn't dumbed down. It didn't go for the easy answer to the tough questions (killing, love, etc.). There were some morals to the stories, but at the same time, they didn't beat you over the head with them unless it was critical to the character.

Oh yeah. They also have some very nice popcltural quotes (especially in that desert episode in s2, the desert outpost with an ice source, the tusken-ish sand benders, and the one time a katana shows up in the show (to cut ice. Priceless. That's a nicely subverted trope if there ever was one, considering how the show only uses chinese weapons otherwise. Take that, anime!

Favourite characters would be Azula, Mai (Maiko, fer sure, Zutarans are gtonna go to hell!), Iroh, and Toph, in that order. Not that there's really any character I dislike, though. They all have great moments, even relatively minor ones like Jet, Smellerbee and Li/Lo.

Another really great thing is the greyness of the show. There is no 'pure' character (not even maternal and large-eyed Katara, whose dark side really had a prominent feature in The Southern Raiders), and neither is there a good or evil nation - there're noble Fire Nation people, as much as the Earth Kingdom is so full of crooks, it makes Chiang Kai Chek's China look modest. Also, the Dai Li really are the creepiest organisation in the Avatar world.

Me, I damned hope they do at least two feature movies, one about Iroh and whatever happened to Lu Ten (my personal pet theory is that Koh stole his face and he committed suicide), and one about Zuko and finding Ursa.

And, oh yeah, the episodes are packed full of story. And its story that you can actually follow without first reading a manga to fill in all the missing pieces.

Yes. And foreshadowings and well laid hints and basis' for things to come. Especially The Beach is great in that respect (very nicely hidden foreshadowing in the end, the panel where the four of them stand before the burning house ...). That an Tales of Ba Sing Se are the best episodes ever, counting the (great) finale.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jul 22 2008, 03:18 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

Must agree that Avatar is an awesome show. Somehow, I managed to miss a chunk in the middle of Book 2: Earth. Otherwise, I have seen all of Water and Fire.

*makes note to buy DVD box set*

I think that the Lion-turtle is my new favorite critter. I must have an astral lion-turtle in my next SR game.

+Quote Post
TonkaTuff
post Jul 22 2008, 04:43 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,729

Zuko's mother was the secondary focus of an episode in the... 2nd season, I think... that explored why he's the way he is and set the groundwork for establishing that Azula and Ozai are complete sociopaths. She may or may not have assassinated the previous Fire Lord (Azulon) and, herself been killed (either for doing it or by the person who did, to clear suspicion) or run the hell away. It was (intentionally, I imagine) left unclear.

As far as more 'Avatar', be careful what you ask for. Apparently, M. Night Shaymalan has been tapped to direct a live-action trilogy due out sometime in 2010. Info here. Apparently, it's still ongoing as of early June.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 22 2008, 05:16 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (TonkaTuff @ Jul 21 2008, 11:43 PM) *
As far as more 'Avatar', be careful what you ask for. Apparently, M. Night Shaymalan has been tapped to direct a live-action trilogy due out sometime in 2010. Info here. Apparently, it's still ongoing as of early June.

A bit old news actually, it was a special feature on one of the avatar boxed sets where M. Night and the creators of Avatar are sitting around talking about the movie, what inspired M. Night to want to direct this series (blame his kids hooking him on), etc.

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Jul 27 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

it was on again today.

I made a fire bending character but my son got ahold of the paper and drew on it, the ripped it up, and threw it away.

will start from scratch again.

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Jul 28 2008, 03:23 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

oh yeah

and i never heard of a live action movie coming out. Shamalamadingdong is writig it? dunno. some of his early work was awesome, but his latest stuff is poo poo. I hope he does it justice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.