Reply to this topicStart new topic
> E-life in SR, Leave mechanics at door
Iracundus
post Jul 19 2008, 07:47 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,822

Can anyone explain the background difference between sprites and AIs, other than game mechanics and the invocation of the mystical "Resonance"? They both seem to be electronic lifeforms of sentient code yet operate under completely different mechanics.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jul 19 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

To give an example is that you as a user of the matrix are like Peter Pan, your sprite is Tinker Bell and the whole of Never Never Land is actually the AI.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 19 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Iracundus @ Jul 19 2008, 09:47 AM) *
Can anyone explain the background difference between sprites and AIs, other than game mechanics and the invocation of the mystical "Resonance"? They both seem to be electronic lifeforms of sentient code yet operate under completely different mechanics.

two different x factors. one comes into existence from a human mind subconsciously playing around with code. the other comes into existence from code becoming able to self-code. or at least thats my take on it.

hell, now that im writing this, im starting to ponder the concept of multiple personalities. what if a sprite is a secondary personality given electronic form?

ugh, maybe i should not have read blindsight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
Flatliner
post Jul 21 2008, 03:17 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,082

ugh, maybe i should not have read blindsight

Watts stories are a big source I <del>rip off</del> draw inspiration from when it comes to imagining net-critters and the wired (and un-wired) world in general. I still see the SR Matrix as the old sprawling Gibson experience of silver grids on infinite black and orange pyramids though, rather than the madhouse that Watts' Maelstrom is.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.