IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skillwires + Martial Arts, What happens to maneuvers?
Matrix Monkey
post Dec 18 2003, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,813

I fired this one off in the Skillwires thread before that one turned into Flame Fest 2003 and never got an answer, so here goes again:

On a related note...
How would you handle MA (martial arts) maneuvers for chipped MA skills?
I know chipping combat skills is a Bad Idea™, but I do think it would be interesting to have someone switch between MA skills Matrix-style depending on the situation.

So... say you call up your fixer to get your hands on KungFuMaster 4.0 -- would a "default" set of maneuvers be included on the chip, would the 2 extra 'skill points' per maneuver count toward effective chip rating, drekcetera.

I've been looking through CC, but it looks like this isn't stated anywhere explicitly. Anyone seen otherwise?

Canon or other rulings are welcome.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 18 2003, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Ya know, that's a good question and insofar as I'm aware, there hasn't been a canonical ruling on that.

I'd say pick four techniques or let your GM do it -- the drawbacks to using mass-produced, commercialized software. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
bwdemon
post Dec 18 2003, 01:04 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,200

I don't use martial arts maneuver rules, so this wouldn't be a problem. I honestly recommend not using them at all. Let players describe what their character does freely, without any game mechanics attached to their choices, and let the degree of success or failure rolled speak for the effectiveness.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 18 2003, 01:08 PM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Actually I like maneuvers...

It's like guy who are very highly skilled but arrogant and over-confident can be defeated by a guy who's not so skilled but careful through the careful use of maneuvers. Or the Wildcat guy going for the quick kill gets blocked out by the karate kid.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Dec 18 2003, 01:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (Siege)
Ya know, that's a good question and insofar as I'm aware, there hasn't been a canonical ruling on that.

I'd say pick four techniques or let your GM do it -- the drawbacks to using mass-produced, commercialized software. :grinbig:

-Siege

I'd go even further and disallow maneuvers for a chipped Martial Arts. Maneuvers are IMHO combinations of moves that you worked out for yourself. So no automatic maneuvers.

On the other hand I also go the "Hardwired" way with chips. Once inserted you won't get the skill above Lv 1 until you spend time training with it. After all "A chip ripped from a 160cm Korean male would not work perfectly for a 180cm american female"

Michael

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Dec 18 2003, 01:53 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I think it says somewhere that maneuvers come on the chip for free.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Dec 18 2003, 02:04 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

Actually:

The use of skillsofts is also affected by the advanced melee rules.  As described above, each martial arts skill counts as a separate Active Skill for skillsoft purposes.  In addition, when using a martial arts skillsoft, the soft allows the characters to use one manuver allowed by the style for every 2 full points of soft rating.  For example, an Akido 5 activesoft would also provide the user with 2 Akido manuvers.  The specific manuvers given with a skillsoft must be chosen when your skillsoft is purchased.  This can add an element of variety to your skillsoft selection, because each martial arts skillsoft will feature different manuvers.  This may spur characters into carrying multiple similar activesofts, such as Tae Kwon Do 4 (with Sweep and Kip Up) and Tae Kwon Do 4 (with Kick Attack and Multi-Strike)

Cannon Companion, p.93

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 18 2003, 02:14 PM
Post #8

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Good quote there.

+Quote Post
Matrix Monkey
post Dec 18 2003, 02:22 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,813

Luke :notworthy:

Missed that one myself apparently... many thanks!

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 18 2003, 04:44 PM
Post #10

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I'd like to chip in here and say that the maneuver rules presented in the book are the stupiudest *^%*^% things I have ever seen. They are absolutely assclown retarded. Thank you for your time.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 18 2003, 04:45 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Tell us how you really feel.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.