Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The worst corp
Oni
post Jul 22 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,623

Hey, just wanted to know what your opinions are as far and which corp is the worst, greatest threat, most dangerous .etc

I'll start with Aztechnology for they're use of bloodmagic and cybermancy along with general AAA corp evil.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 22 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Saeder Krupp, especially now that Lofwyr is now Lore-Master and the Big D ain't around to bother him anymore . .

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 22 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Mitsuhama for the creation of the Zero-Zone.

Shiawase for the creation of Corporate Extraterritoriality.

Fuchi/NovaTech/NeoNet for constantly changing it's name and confusing me.

Horizon for it's brainwashing capabilities.

Ares for selling weapons to EVERYONE (Including Shadowrunners!).

Renraku for treating it's AI like a slave and causing it to go insane.

Yamatetsu/Neo for having a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG-Term outlook (Free Spirit CEO, effectively immortal!).

Wuxing for having multiple daughters to marry off and create a massive empire through family relations.

Saeder-Krupp for being legitimately Draconian. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Jul 22 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

Aztechnology.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jul 22 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

I'd call it a tie between Horizon's brainwashing techniques and Ares for their allying with invae.

+Quote Post
Johnny Jacks
post Jul 23 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 15,992

Aztechnology all the way. For sacrificing their own citizens and consorting with Horrors.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jul 23 2008, 01:31 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

QUOTE (Johnny Jacks @ Jul 22 2008, 05:20 PM) *
Aztechnology all the way. For sacrificing their own citizens and consorting with Horrors.

Blood! Blood! Blood makes the jungle grow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif)

Or the quote from a previous character during a run against this corp:
Rickson: "You surely know the old wives tales of Aztechnology. How they sacrifice children to unspeakable horrors. How they sell their souls to demons for magical power. The sacrifice of millions for the regrowth of the Amazon basin and it's bounty for corporate exploitation later."
Midnight: *the elf shaman looking annoyed* "Yeah, yeah...what of it?"
Rickson: *looking dead serious* "They are far, far worse than that..."

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 23 2008, 02:41 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Damn good quote!

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Jul 23 2008, 02:45 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Who really knows? The megas are huge and sprawling, inpenetrable in the extreme due to compartmentalization and the huge sprawling size of the corp.

Of course, Aztechnology is too hard to argue with. Who can out-do them for evil? Being a machiavellian dragon doesn't really change him morally from Damien Knight or Richard Villiers, and they'd have no problem making you dissapear if they wanted to, they just don't have the inclination to eat you (but then again, I doubt Lofwyr really eats just anyone, i'm sure he has discerning tastes. So Ares is perhaps allied with the invae? That is pretty bad, but insect spirits are controllable, they can be outsmarted and outgunned. Aztechnology has tried to tear the fabric dividing earth and the Horrors' metaplanes. The Horrors. The magical alien soul-eating scourge. As much as I'd like to say Horizon's attempt at myspace is pretty nasty, it doesn't really compare to calling the apocalypse, and sacrificing the blood of many innocents to do so.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 23 2008, 02:50 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

True. After all, the only other major group that tried to do that, Winternight, was a Cultist Group of Yahoos who wanted to tear down the Matrix, thinking they were Loki's Chains.

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Jul 23 2008, 03:05 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

Aztechnology, for the "most evil" award.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jul 23 2008, 03:21 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Azzies for most evil

SK for most likely to come after your hoop a month after a run is over.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Jul 23 2008, 03:23 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 22 2008, 09:50 PM) *
True. After all, the only other major group that tried to do that, Winternight, was a Cultist Group of Yahoos who wanted to tear down the Matrix, thinking they were Loki's Chains.

Now imagine if they sold consumer goods. See? Fucking sinister.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jul 23 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

For years FASA and Wizkids has been making Aztechnology the bridge between Earthdawn Horrors and SR (catalyst hasn't had enough time IMO to continue the trend), so that is the only real vote...

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jul 23 2008, 04:59 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 22 2008, 07:41 PM) *
Damn good quote!

Thanks! Rickson was a ton of fun to play. He was the former head of an Aztechnology psy/black ops team that made the stuff from Seirra Leone look like an episode of Barney the Dinosaur...only nicer. It warmed his black, hard heart when, the previously rather pacifistic at least in terms of killing, hacker of our group said, "I haven't used my katana on anyone yet. Let me kill them!" about the recently downed, but not yet dead, rival runner team.

Interrogation 5 (Torture +2) and rating 6 stim-patches against mages gives you a good idea of what he was all about. The funny part is how he was really calming down on the killing and senseless torture bit while the rest of the party was really ramping it up towards the end of that campaign.
He "retired" by opening a private eye/PMC company called D4C Security, LLC with the surviving members of his team once he broke 100 earned karma. It seems like a good time for a character to call it quits.

The best, most recurring quote,

Random character: "What's with your cuban drug dealer carrying the man purse?"

Rickson: *usually later in the car* "I'm fucking Brazilian, dammit!" *clutches his high-fashion euro-styled equipment satchel to his chest* "And it's not a purse!"

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jul 23 2008, 06:07 AM
Post #16

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...Horizon for the most insidious and sinister.

...hey, we're not like the others, we're your friends. Here have some more Kool Aid...

+Quote Post
Iota
post Jul 23 2008, 07:23 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 16,020

SK

because this f... dragon already owns Europe and u never know if he will stop in his imperialism!

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Jul 23 2008, 07:40 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Aztechnology still trumps SK on that, too. They literally have their hand up the back of a puppet government, with virtually no competetion. Due to the cultural segregation in europe, and the myriad of borders and home corporations, Loffy has a lot of work cut out for him, so he doesn't really own Europe.

+Quote Post
Blue eyes
post Jul 23 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,516

Worst corps, hhhmm well they are all cutthroats and there arent any good Megas. I always find it fun when I run into players and other gms that insist some are nicer than others or insisting that they are good-guys....I guess corp channels and commercials work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Hey its all about the money & power and nothing else!

But if I had to pick the worst of the worst it's has to be a tie between Aztechnology, Ares and Renraku:

-Aztechnology due to it's instutionalized bloodmagic, it's ruthless way of controling Aztlan, and what they did in Yucatan.... Oh yeah and ties with horrors and a corrupted dragon are very good reasons too why they are the worst.
-Ares due to their handling of the situation in Chicago (using a nuke), which showed how little life matteres to them, and ofcause of Ares being the chief weapon seller in the world..... Oh yeah and the possible ties they have with the bugs now is a very good reason too for being picked as worts.
-Renraku because of them being one of the leading forces in the racist charge against all non-humans: orcs, trolls, elves, shapechangers etc., and their involvement with the metahuman prison island in the Philippines (Yomi island) where countless died, the Saito regime in Calfree which they supported.... Oh yeah and their AI mess.

Others could have been picked for a number of reason tbh: like other Japana Megas for being involved with Yomi Island and the Saito mess but those are my top picks.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Jul 23 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

It's interesting that we all have a collective impression of the "worst" megacorporations. The Azzies and SK are definately up there. SK mainly because of the "eat shadowrunners policy".

As for the japanacorps, Mitsuhama, Renraku, Fuchi (Now fragmented), and Shiawase. Yamatetsu used to be guilty of this, too, although moving to Vladivostok and changing their outlook has done a lot, at least for their public relations. Renraku gets special mention for setting Deus upon the world.

Ares doesn't get too much bad press. But it's still there. There's definate allusions to some sort of arrangement with the invae, but we hear a lot less about that than we do, say, The Azzies blood magic. Although if you extrapolate, they make guns. Lots of guns, and they market them all over the world. Also, they use military might as a business tool, for example in their offshore drilling, they're practically oil-pirates with warheads, preying off the smaller riggers. A big thing that makes me think Ares are nasty is Damien Knight/David Gavilan (depending on your opinion). He's a corporate criminal, bordering on information terrorist.

Horizon we know little about, but they give us the heeby-jeebies - but that's about it. They even have an ork as their CEO.

Neonet? Villers. A cut-throat operator, but we don't really know many of his corps real underhanded practices, and since they're in competition with Renraku (who got the rest of Fuchi), they always look relatively clean.

There's probably more to deal with, but you notice that as the list goes down, the corps get "less" evil. Personally I'd like to see more information in future fluff/campaigns to shed a bit more light on the worst practices of corps like Neonet, Horizon, Evo, and maybe Ares. They're just too squeaky clean for me right now, so I notice whenever I need to cue genocide/environmental hazards/machiavellian political coersion and violence, I look to these guys.

Anyone have anything to contribute on this matter?

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Jul 23 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

Azzies. Definately.

Most corps, the worst they can do is torture you to death after you watch the same to your loved ones.

AZT can torture you to _undeath_, and then keep on torturing you until ultimately, the team of ritual mages doesn't roll enough successes, and your soul is _allowed_ to flee it's corrupted husk.

<shudder>

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Jul 23 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

I know this will probably get me stoned to death but I don't consider Earthdawn to be part of Shadowrun canon so the whole Horrors thing doesn't float with me. But in terms of pure, unmitigated evil Aztechnology still ranks number one. However, that doesn't make them the greatest threat. Ares, SK, MCT, and Renraku are about as subtle as a brick to the head when it comes to unethical and straight-out illegal business practices. Horizon, on the other hand, wants to be your friend and is determined to get into your head any way possible. That makes them the greatest threat in my mind. NeoNET and Evo, I have no opinion on.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 23 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Ah, but we're not talking about Threat! That would be MCT with it's Zero Zones!

We're talking unmitigated evil. And I do have to agree that the whole Ritualistic Sacrifice of everyone they can get their hands on for power has AZT in the lead.

Even the rest of the Corps only want your body and purchasing power for the most part!

Well, Lofwyr wants the occasional snack, but that's not "evil", that's being a Dragon.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jul 23 2008, 03:36 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

Mitsuhama: For hiring Halbertsam and their researchs on Otakus
Azzies: Horrors, Darke, Roxborough, blood spirits
Ares: Their weapon being sold to everyone... everywhere. How they dealed with Chicago, about everything related to Damien Knight.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jul 23 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 23 2008, 11:21 AM) *
Ah, but we're not talking about Threat! That would be MCT with it's Zero Zones!

What is a zero zone?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.