IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [News] Dressed not to be killed, Real-life armored clothing for the fashion-conscious
JongWK
post Jul 26 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Original TIME article here.

For the English socialite worried about getting shot, oversize paramilitary gear simply won't do. Fortunately, London's superrich can now maintain their security without sacrificing style. On July 14, Miguel Caballero, the world's only producer of "designer bulletproof fashion," started selling his high-security garments at posh London department store Harrods. His new collection includes blazers, raincoats and suede jackets, some replete with a comforting stab-proof lining. Customers get to select from three levels of ballistic protection. For instance, a polo shirt that can withstand a slug from a 9-mm revolver costs roughly $7,500; a version for about $9,800 protects wearers from automatic weapons, including mini-Uzis.

The Colombian designer began producing high-security fashion 16 years ago while studying at Bogotá's Los Andes University, where his classmates--many of whom were the children of politicians--wore protective vests that were heavy and nondiscreet. Fast-forward to his latest leather jacket, which weighs a trim 2.6 lb. (1.2 kg) and doesn't scream bulletproof.

Caballero, who has expanded into 16 countries, says he does not operate "exclusively in dangerous places" but admits that "they don't need us in Switzerland." As crime rises in many cities, so do his profits: his company sold $9 million in 2007 and matched that figure in just the first seven months of this year. The prestige of wearing Caballero-secured clothing has grown too, drawing high-profile clients like King Abdullah of Jordan, Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez and actor Stephen Segal. But be warned: in this élite circle of the secure and stylish, there is a hidden cost. In the unfortunate event of stains--blood or otherwise--the garments are dry-clean only.

Thought you guys might like reading that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 26 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #2

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

for some reason this gives me mixed feelings...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 26 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

yeah, i mean . . dry clean only? O.o
and if those things were worth their money, there should be no blood stains on them . .

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 26 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

there are more then blood that can leave a stain on clothing...

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 26 2008, 02:55 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 25 2008, 07:57 PM) *
there are more then blood that can leave a stain on clothing...

Yeah, the piss and crap stains as the person is going, 'Ohmygodohmygodohmygod...!'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
VagabondStar
post Jul 26 2008, 03:48 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,080

Great. A IIIA polo shirt. Just what I need.

+Quote Post
HeavyMetalYeti
post Jul 26 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,968

Anyone know what he is making these out of? Last time i looked, Kevlar was to course to make into a shirt worth a damn. I mean you could but it wouldnt stop a BB much less a 9MM.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jul 26 2008, 07:45 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

QUOTE (HeavyMetalYeti @ Jul 26 2008, 02:15 AM) *
Anyone know what he is making these out of? Last time i looked, Kevlar was to course to make into a shirt worth a damn. I mean you could but it wouldnt stop a BB much less a 9MM.

I don't know if it's so much that the fibre you're seeing on the top is kevlar. Rather that the design of the vest is integrated with the shirt so the whole looks good. Level IIIA stuff is getting pretty slim. It isn't like he's putting out level III or IV stuff. Also the picture of the polo shirt might be for a level IIA, which he sells them in (level IIIA might be stiffer).

Actually another exciting thing in the field is that the price is generally getting down there for more regular IIA-IIIA vests. Like $330-$460. So it could get cheap enough where armoring up might be more viable for the rest of us.

On that note apparently about half of armored vest "saves" are attributed to accidents as opposed to attacks. Turns out they stop steering wheels as well as bullets. Actually I think if I wanted to take up riding a motorbike I'd be really tempted to get something.

+Quote Post
VagabondStar
post Jul 26 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,080

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jul 26 2008, 08:45 AM) *
I don't know if it's so much that the fibre you're seeing on the top is kevlar. Rather that the design of the vest is integrated with the shirt so the whole looks good. Level IIIA stuff is getting pretty slim. It isn't like he's putting out level III or IV stuff. Also the picture of the polo shirt might be for a level IIA, which he sells them in (level IIIA might be stiffer).

Actually another exciting thing in the field is that the price is generally getting down there for more regular IIA-IIIA vests. Like $330-$460. So it could get cheap enough where armoring up might be more viable for the rest of us.

On that note apparently about half of armored vest "saves" are attributed to accidents as opposed to attacks. Turns out they stop steering wheels as well as bullets. Actually I think if I wanted to take up riding a motorbike I'd be really tempted to get something.

Realistically, IIIA is probably much more armor than anyone would ever need who was not in a (para)military or law enforcement field (and that is only where your level IV plates are NOT). IIA is probably the best balance of price and protection.

+Quote Post
Rad
post Jul 26 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,715

Interesting, something definitely looks "off" about that trenchcoat, but without knowing in advance that it was armored, a casual observer might not make the association. Then again, a casual observer isn't as likely to shoot you.

I wonder how comfortable/heavy it is though. The front section of the coat seems to hang down from the shoulder seam like a solid piece--similar to the lead aprons you wear when getting an x-ray. I'd want to see how it moved before passing judgment on how "stylish" or "discrete" it was. Reminds me of the Armored Jacket entry in the BBB: "Offers good protection without catching too much attention, but don't think of wearing it to a dinner party."

Of course, I'd also want to see it's protective qualities demonstrated before I trusted my safety to it. I'm not sure what kind of oversight the body armor industry has, if any, or how much of that applies to a fashion designer, but I wouldn't trust some guy's word that the coat he's selling me will stop a bullet or a knife. Especially at those prices.

Meantime, I'll stick with leather and "getting the hell out of the way" to keep me safe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jul 27 2008, 04:30 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Actually some of his fashions are about how I envisioned much of the wearable armor in SR.

And I'd believe it's popular. I don't own armor. But I'm given to understand a major issue is that it's just uncomfortable especially in regards to heat build up. Those things just don't breath. A jacket largely solves the problem.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Jul 31 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Here's a link to an article with a video showing a live demonstration by the designer on the show's host, and you get a view of some of the material they're using as well.

http://www.asylum.com/2008/07/30/10000-pol...ic-weapon-fire/

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jul 31 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

I wonder what rating the rollable pollo shirt has. Also curious what that guy got shot with. It shows a low res pic of the ammo. Not a .22 at any rate. Maybe a respectable .357 sig? Looks like it was necked and I don't think there are a lot of popular necked pistol rounds.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.