IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SEX, and its implications in the Sixth world
Which way do you play
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 152
Guests cannot vote 
HeavyMetalYeti
post Jul 27 2008, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,968

By now you have figured out that the post isn’t quite what you thought. I was just wondering how many suffer from Tomb Raider Syndrome. You know, dudes who by choice prefer to play hot chicks and vice versa.

What brought this on was the fact that I noticed that my 10 year old daughter usually plays muscle bound guys on Guild Wars and my 7 year old son plays big breasted, scantily clad women on the same. ( I have no problem with either considering I usually do the same.) In SR I usually play men but have played women in AD&D and Vampire the Masquerade.

I was just wondering what percentage did the same.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jul 27 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

I very rarely play "chipped beef" characters (Bulldog is very much an exception in my RP characters) but I have given up on playing chicks. I have noted that most males play females as tough-ass hookers with Hugh Jass guns, as I did, and I felt that if I can't take care of biz RPing females in any depth then I should get out of the game.

Go big or go home, I always say.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 27 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I've played characters of both genders. Stat-wise, there usually isn't too much difference. I prefer the roleplaying and combat parts of the game to the planning, legwork, and infiltration parts of the game, so my characters accordingly tend to be combat-oriented types with some face skills. Generally, I take the time to go through either the 20 questions, or Bull's 50+ questions, so none of them are really one-note stereotypes.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 27 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

i don't like playing female, i just can't get into the role . .

+Quote Post
crizh
post Jul 27 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 27 2008, 10:50 AM) *
i don't like playing female, i just can't get into the role . .

It's easy. Whenever your asked to make a decision, vacillate until someone makes it for you. And randomly start an argument 25% of the time....

[ducks]

+Quote Post
HeavyMetalYeti
post Jul 27 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,968

QUOTE (crizh @ Jul 27 2008, 03:54 AM) *
It's easy. Whenever your asked to make a decision, vacillate until someone makes it for you. And randomly start an argument 25% of the time....

[ducks]

Or think of what you would do normally and do exactly the opposite.

[hides behind chair]

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 27 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

we have one big burly guy, all man, and he's allways playing female . . elven bitch, female combat monkey, all dead sexy with varying degrees of charisma . . and yes, he does exactly that . . know what's worse? the two times we had women game with us, THEY did EXACTLY the same, no matter what kind of character they were playing . .

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jul 27 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

While I create more male characters, they always seem to die, so I end up spending more time on my female characters. Not really an issue, as my favorite characters are female, it just seems a bit odd.

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Jul 27 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,235

I've tried playing female characters in the past, but I could never really figure out how to play them any differently from my male characters, so generally now I just stick with male.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jul 27 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

You know I think one of the more fascinating characters a friend of mine played was a Tom of Finland beefcake. There was a housing shortage so he paid rent for a condo the rest crashed at by the inch with his equally beefcake landlord.

Some guys play what are called wank characters. They have to be Penthouse centerfolds, who just happen to be in whatever business they are in. There are also those who wish to enact their body fantasies. Let's face it not every guy can afford to look like Brad Pitt.

+Quote Post
Tiny Deev
post Jul 27 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,154

Heh, playing a woman would be funny methinks.
"Oh, a run? is it tuesday? I'm sorry, I can't tonight, I have a headache"

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jul 27 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #12

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I'm not a big meaty guy, but I play both male and female, buff and not buff, with a fairly even distribution.

+Quote Post
Scope_47
post Jul 27 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,175

Heh.

I have a hard time playing male characters - they always turn out really two dimensional (or a copy of a TV character). The exception to this is when I'm GMing - I don't know why that is.

- Scope

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Jul 27 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

QUOTE (crizh @ Jul 27 2008, 04:54 AM) *

[ducks]

You know my wife??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)

+Quote Post
Black Jack Rackh...
post Jul 27 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,202

Several others have said it previously, and I agree. Since I GM almost exclusively, I tend to play the character that's needed. Certainly I have those characatures of the hyper-male/female architypes and I play them that way, but ONLY when that kind of character is called for.

For those few times I do get to play, gender tends to be the last thing I come up with. I start with a backstory (kind of a narrative 20+ questions), and then for finishing touches I decide gender, race, ethnicity, height, weight, etc.

Mark

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jul 27 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #16

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (crizh @ Jul 27 2008, 10:54 AM) *

[ducks]

Crizh just tried to randomly start an argument. Ergo, crizh defines herself as a woman. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As someone primarily trapped in GM land, I get to play all genders. I think it's roughly balanced though I do have a couple of favourite female NPCs who perhaps fall into the deadly beauty category. The Porcelain Doll is one of them and that character is floating around here somewhere. I've always been attracted to competent and vaguely aggressive women, I don't know why. Has that leaked through into a couple of characters? Possibly a little, hard to say, but they're definitely not caricatures. The Porcelain Doll in particular has a very involved and realistic background and she's far from a "smoking hot babe" by most people's standards given her predilection for self-mutilation. Girls without lips tend not to be very kissable (no offence meant to any girls without lips reading this). Haze, another female character, is literally smoking hot as she's something of a fire mage, and she is beautiful, but she's also partly designed as a foil to male PCs.

Having said all that though, Shadowrun is a role-playing game for people to experience being another person in another life. If some players wish to indulge themselves in being that which they idolise, I don't normally have a problem with that, I just push them to round the character out a little bit before play.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 27 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

Actually I play a sort of nerdy, needs a little more sunlight Chaos Mage. He's sort of plain... not ugly enough to stop clocks, but not winning any Mr. Universe Pageants any time soon... AKA normal. While on a run he will run a skin for his cybereyes that makes them a non-descript brown. If I had the Essence available, I would get cyber-hair... just to make hiding easier.

I know that a lot of people in Shadowrun can be "beautiful" because of surgery, but honestly... why would a runner bother? Being a Playmate smoking hot elf chick is just asking: "Yes, <insert Corp name of Choice>, please remember my face because I want your goon squads to come over to my home and do horrible, cruel, evil things to me. I really enjoy that!" You want your runners to be plain john/jane does that don't stand out at all. Anything else is just asking for it.

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Jul 27 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

I too am in ref land, so I have to play both genders. I think I do quite well with the female pyche in my limited way. I am however a ROLEplayer so have never felt I could get far enough into a female characters pychology to do a PC justice.
I always felt my attempt would be mildly offensive to women kind and a critique on my own conceptions.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 27 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

MY female characters tend to be substantially less inhibited than my male characters. My male characters tend to be cold professionals, idealistic dragonslayers, or down-to-earth antiheroes. While I have cold professional, idealistic dragonslayer, and down-to-earth antihero female characters I also have female characters who are sadists, thrill-killers, rapists, pedophiles, slave traders, and other unsavory things - and incestuous lesbian gilled catgirls. They aren't all hot, however. Some of them are middle aged and only moderately attractive.
After reading a blog that disturbingly combined radical feminism of the 'all heterosexual sex is rape' variety with casual and cavalier racism of the 'miscegenation is evil' variety , I'm considering creating a literal femnazi character who believes that Humanis and Alamos 40K aren't racist enough, laments the end of skin-color discrimination, and plans to turn the world into a paradise 'womyn' by killing all males and all non-human non-'Aryan' females.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 27 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

would not live long in any game i play in . . i'D either show her the difference between mutual consentual sex and rape and THEN kill or or just plain out kill her . . i don't deal particularly well with any kind of extremists and other crazy personas . .

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jul 27 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 27 2008, 10:52 AM) *
MY female characters tend to be substantially less inhibited than my male characters. My male characters tend to be cold professionals, idealistic dragonslayers, or down-to-earth antiheroes. While I have cold professional, idealistic dragonslayer, and down-to-earth antihero female characters I also have female characters who are sadists, thrill-killers, rapists, pedophiles, slave traders, and other unsavory things - and incestuous lesbian gilled catgirls. They aren't all hot, however. Some of them are middle aged and only moderately attractive.
After reading a blog that disturbingly combined radical feminism of the 'all heterosexual sex is rape' variety with casual and cavalier racism of the 'miscegenation is evil' variety , I'm considering creating a literal femnazi character who believes that Humanis and Alamos 40K aren't racist enough, laments the end of skin-color discrimination, and plans to turn the world into a paradise 'womyn' by killing all males and all non-human non-'Aryan' females.

Hmm that sounds interesting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

I play both sexes, thugzillas and not thugzillas, but my females tend not be be thugzillas. I rarely play a straight up Samurai, those not much fun for me.

I like to play the unusual or fringe characters not because they gain me vast amounts of perks/advantages but for the challenge of getting into that characters head.

WMS

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jul 27 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

I think the tendency in videogames has more to do with that fact that you're generally staring at the characters rear the whole time you play.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 27 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

This is an Administrative Posting.

While most of the material in this thread seems to be intended in jest and good humor, please remember the Dumpshock Terms of Service.

QUOTE (Terms of Service)
1. Personal attacks, flaming, trolling, and baiting are prohibited. This includes any form of racism, sexism or religious intolerance.

Many of the postings here are blatantly sexist. Please cease such postings.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 27 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

HOW DO ROLE PLAY FEMALE!!???!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Cang
post Jul 27 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,077

I gm alot so i play alot of females (alot of times with a southern accent for some reason) but as a pc i only played one female, but i did play her for a long time. She was a gruff dwarf chick with a chip on her shoulder (low charisma) but by no means was she some super violent lesbian who screamed if a man got near her. She even got married to another player after he saved her life (it was more like a deal; he wanted to marry and she wanted to live). I don't most people can play out of the gender, being that lots of people have trouble playing out of their personality. The guys who play girls always seem to be a really hot lesbian elf. As a gm i have men harass them all the time, letting them feel how its like to be a woman in a male dominated profession. Alot of times they end of changing chars because they can't live out there fetish fantasy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:31 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.