Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How are adept powers determed
WeaverMount
post Jul 29 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,309

I'm wondering how adepts come into there powers. Are they totally random? That would mean most adepts would have bazaar combos like with mystic armor, wall running and improved ability (bag pipes). Are they 'chosen' sub-consciously at adolescence leading to hoards of Koreans with improved ability (star craft)? Do adepts have conscious control over there powers meaning adepts get to train or develop there abilities however they please, meaning that characters and players would seek twinkish synergy?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 29 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

a little bit of all of those from a fluff point of view at least . .
usually magic manifests in puberty, most of the powers in that kind of time are random . . a little later come sub-conscious powers and if they find their sensei they get to learn what they wish to know

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 29 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Crom grants physad powers, and he min-maxes.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 29 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

improved attribute in STR and BOD, improved skill Sword-fighting . . what else? *g*

+Quote Post
Cadmus
post Jul 29 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,304

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!...er I mean um..crap..that was said out loud again wasn't it?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 29 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

for the record: derailed in post 3, by wounded ronin, carry on ^^

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Jul 29 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,507

I would imagine that most of the powers come from what the character focuses on as they develop.

I.E. if your really into martial arts, being a Phys Ad lets you go farther than mundanes as you develop powers. Like getting stronger with exercise.

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Jul 29 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

Doesn't magic seem to work the way people believe it to? Might adepts work under that same principles? If magic works how the mage wants it to work one would think the adept has the same choice. You want it so you... got... it?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 29 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

yes, well, at least with a little training once you realize that there actually IS magic . . else it will just do things realted to things that move you in a fairly big way . . mybe make you better at your hobby, maybe if you're bullied it will make you run quicker or easier for you to hide or make you stronger/tougher or giving you armor or something like that . . if you're trivia-otaku magic will grant you a photographic and eidetic memory O.o

+Quote Post
VagabondStar
post Jul 29 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,080

The magic infuses itself into the adept as he grows and develops. He has probably always consistently been better at certain things than others, stronger, faster, more skilled, etc. When he begins to focus, his ability grows. It's not like he wakes up one day and suddenly has killing hands. He's probably been boxing or doing martial arts his entire life, and it's been a slow progression.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 30 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #11

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (VagabondStar @ Jul 30 2008, 06:09 AM) *
The magic infuses itself into the adept as he grows and develops. He has probably always consistently been better at certain things than others, stronger, faster, more skilled, etc. When he begins to focus, his ability grows. It's not like he wakes up one day and suddenly has killing hands. He's probably been boxing or doing martial arts his entire life, and it's been a slow progression.

Why not? One day he is a Latent, next day the GM in the sky decides to exercise the Latent Awakening option. So he can wake up one day and suddenly has Killing Hands.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 30 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

yeah, but to speak in SR3 terms(which i understand) he won't start out with Deadly but with light or maybe medium

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 30 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #13

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 30 2008, 08:03 PM) *
yeah, but to speak in SR3 terms(which i understand) he won't start out with Deadly but with light or maybe medium

In SR3 terms, it means one day he wakes up and has Magic 6 (or whatever his Essense is), which can translate to Killing Hands Deadly, right from day one.

+Quote Post
VagabondStar
post Jul 30 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,080

A latent awakening is convenient, and would probably cover a wide variety of loosely connected powers. Do as you like.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 30 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Adept powers should also probably emerge from 80s training montages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WlfHFTK_uA...feature=related

The above clip deserves to be played in an endless loop while you sit around with your friends generating Shadowrun characters.

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Jul 30 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Am I crazy or did Van Damme gain other skill - etiquette level 4 with a geese that it can only be used when blindfolded?

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 30 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (masterofm @ Jul 30 2008, 03:07 PM) *
Am I crazy or did Van Damme gain other skill - etiquette level 4 with a geese that it can only be used when blindfolded?

Yes. He uses it in the end of the film to produce more asian stoic magic than Bolo Yeung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YDuSLXcX8...feature=related

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 30 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #18

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

How did my street sam come into these world class shooting skills and boosting cyberware! I mean suddenly I can shoot the wings off of flies, throw bullets around corners, fire billions of rounds a minute and leap over tall buildings! It's like some numbers I were pulled out of a hat,a nd whan there I am!

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Jul 30 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Holy crabapples and Forest Whitaker is in that movie.... On a side note if mages just instantly ding and go from magic 5 to magic 6 adepts must work the same way. You don't have killing hands and then suddenly you have killing hands, or whatever you decide to break that one point of magic into.

He is talking about the magic spike, not that suddenly your shadowrunner is just that good and has world class killing skills. Initiating takes time, other people, and a ritual, or a meta planer quest, or something. Magic just goes up a point and suddenly you are just better. Kind of like leveling in that killing that last baddie made you suddenly all that much more badassed. Magic seems to apply in this fashion. So remember when you decide to raise your magic by one point say DING!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.