Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Searching for something on the Matrix
Grayson7
post Jul 30 2008, 06:48 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,726

Hello, I have a question and I am wondering if someone with more experience with the game than I have could give me some help. First of all, I use the optional Matrix rule that uses Logic instead of a program for Matrix-based tests and I limit the number of hits per roll to the rating of the program being utilized. My players have commlinks but none of them are hackers. None of them have any special programs like Browse. Now, I understand that if a person wants to research something on the Matrix they could use the Browse program that comes with the search engine, as opposed to one in their commlink, in the same way that we use Google in the real world. What would be the rating of the generic Browse program that comes with the matrix? In other words, if my player wanted to research something on the matrix itself and I had him roll an extended test using Logic+Data Search and he didn't have a Browse program in his commlink, what rating would I use for the Browse program of the Matrix search engine that he would have to use. Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jul 30 2008, 08:01 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

If you go by the stuff in Unwired, it'll depend on what kind of service their Matrix service provider is, well, providing. This is usually associated with the lifestyle level of the character and the kind of MSP they're using.

At worst, just rule that it's a Rating 2 Browse. I'm not going to go looking around in Unwired right now, someone who is willing will likely correct me; I have coding to do.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jul 30 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

I thought I read somewhere in the core rules that a Browse 1 was standard on all commlinks.

+Quote Post
Drogos
post Jul 30 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,746

Per the BBB, it's Scan 1 that is standard for all Coms. I would do the same for Browse (actually all the Common use programs I could see giving a freebie rating one with their OS, save maybe Reality Sculptor).

+Quote Post
Grayson7
post Jul 30 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 9,726

That seems fair. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 30 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

QUOTE (Drogos @ Jul 30 2008, 07:29 AM) *
Per the BBB, it's Scan 1 that is standard for all Coms. I would do the same for Browse (actually all the Common use programs I could see giving a freebie rating one with their OS, save maybe Reality Sculptor).

That's pretty much how I run it.

Also, I rule that Dataterms (public access data terminals) are considered to have a rating 3 Browse program.

-paws

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.