IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just an idea for the Catlyst guys, Provide the 'priority' chargen system for free.
imperialus
post Aug 4 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 769

While I was reading through the RC. I got the the priority chargen method. The priority method has always been a simpler, faster method of creating characters which is probably why until 4th ed it's been included as the 'default' method. The point by system tends to be preferred by more experienced players but it can be a little daunting for new players.

Anyhow. My point is, have you thought about putting page 38-40 of Runners companion up on the website as a PDF for free. It would save new players from having to buy a second whole book but give them the option of using an easier system.

I see a lot of "help me out with my character" threads on Dumpshock these days and while DSers are pretty helpful, I'm sure we sometimes just end up confusing the poor guy who asked the question in the first place. Giving players the option of creating characters in a simple and straightforward manner I think might help get a lot of new players over the hump as it were. Nothing ruins a new RPG for me any faster than when chargen is a chore.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synner667
post Aug 4 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,753

I'll add a vote for this.

The new/old character generation rules are one of the reasons I'd pick up the Runners Companion...
...Other options and background things are always good to have - regardless of RPG system.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Aug 4 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

I'd love to see this, too. I mean, I would buy the book anyway for all of the extra goodies. But for new players, an extra chargen system(it's what...2-3 pages) would be wonderful, IMO.

+Quote Post
Cyntax
post Aug 4 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,095

I'm for this too. Green Ronin posts freebies and excerpts a lot for Mutants & Masterminds, that and Shadowrun are my two favorite RPGs.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Aug 4 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Well, it's not my text anymore, but here's a freebie I can offer:

Make a character using the SR3 priorities, then use the conversion guide from the SR4 Web site.

Hey, it's not balanced, and it's more complicated than buying RC, but it's free!

=i)

+Quote Post
Bashfull
post Aug 4 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,374

Let us not forget that we do get some freebies to entice newbies: the Quickstart rules etc.

But I don't think it would hurt to release it after a short while so I'll add my vote to this proposal.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Aug 4 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,735

I would say take those pages and add them as ERATTA to the core rules...

Just have an... Insert these pages at the end of the character creation rules...

I miss priorities...not being able to cross stuff from one category to another made character creation simpler and yet still very interesting. now I have to balance stats vs skills vs equipment vs magic vs technomancy vs qualities vs contacts

I never feel like I've made a character because I always want to tweak it. And that's frustrating...

+Quote Post
Synner667
post Aug 4 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,753

QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 4 2008, 10:17 PM) *
I would say take those pages and add them as ERRATA to the core rules...

Just have an... Insert these pages at the end of the character creation rules...

I miss priorities...not being able to cross stuff from one category to another made character creation simpler and yet still very interesting. now I have to balance stats vs skills vs equipment vs magic vs technomancy vs qualities vs contacts

I never feel like I've made a character because I always want to tweak it. And that's frustrating...

Ahhh, the-more-choices-must-be-better problem...
...Give people too many choices and they are, in fact, less happy than if you give them few choices.

Rather than adding it in as errata, I think it should be there as the main way to generate Characters, with the points based way as the more "advanced" method...
...The opposite to how it is now [points based = normal, priorities = optional/advanced].

+Quote Post
Isath
post Aug 4 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,062

I'd vote point base systems over cookie cutters every time. While the priorities system simplifies the process of accumulating the point for a category, they are not faster spent. Also it is always better to have the storyteller and the player work together in creating a character, with the storyteller knowing the rules. In my experience Characters always turn out better when created in teamwork.

While I do not care if the priority system would be made a free download or not, I do not miss the times before the SR4 System and do not want those back.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 4 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 185

We are not considering adding the Priority system to the core rulesm nor are we planning on releasing it for free in the immediate future (Runner's Companion is just out and several parts of the book are tailored to ease new players into the system in the first place). We may include it in an introductory product we are working on though, and some of you may be happy to know that we are also considering a Template system that would be complement plug-and-play style the basic Build Point system.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.