Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unofficial Errata: Runners Companion
Muspellsheimr
post Aug 5 2008, 07:45 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,706

To clear up the Runners Companion thread, & consolidate the answers into a single readable location, I have cut the questions & answers from the previous thread to post here. Any new questions, ask in this thread - I will try to keep the original post updated with all questions & answers for ease of reference. If I missed any questions from another thread, please re-post them here.

Please note, none of this is official until Catalyst releases an FAQ or Errata.

Questions & Answers

How exactly does the Distinctive Style Quality work?

The cost is listed as: 5 to 35 BP. Is that 5BP per level? I'm further confused because it then goes on to say that the quality gives a +3 die pool modifier and that you can take the quality multiple times but the max modifier is +6 - which implies that the quality can only be taken twice.

Is the +3 a typo and supposed to be a +1?

Synner
It can be taken multiple times for different features, each time providing a bonus of 5 BP. However, each time the Negative quality is taken, and approved by the gamemaster, anyone trying to locate and identify the character gets a +3. There is a typo in this writeup but its the bonus provided to people hunting you which should cap at +9. While you can take the Distinctive Style Negative quality up to 7 times (for 35 BP), the maximum bonus someone searching for you can benefit should be +9 (meaning that beyond a certain point—the third time the Quality is taken—being even more distinctive provides no additional bonuses to potential trackers.)

< - - - - - >

What contact ratings do group and online contacts get as a basis? How would, for instance, ShadowSea's and the Choson Ring's rating look like, could you give us an example?

the_dunner:
In my notes, I had the following:
ShadowSEA
Connection: 2(11) (Base 2 + Membership 6 + Area 2 + Matrix 1)

Komun’go Ring
Connection: 4(11) (Base 4+ Membership 4 + Area 2 + Magic 1)

Of course, these values are somewhat subjective -- which is probably why they were omitted. You may feel that the group's area of influence, base connection, or membership varies a bit. With larger groups, you won't necessarily have a connection with the entire membership. (As a RL example of a virtual contact, some DS members might have a connection with other members in the SR forum, but not in the "Welcome to the Shadows" forum.)

< - - - - - >

Infected and Metavariants: are those costs on top of or inplace of the Race BP cost?

Synner

This is clearly noted in the intro sections of each "Creating a XXXXX" entry.

Runner's Companion takes two distinct approaches to the various character options available:

* "Racial" options (including metavariants, the sapient species, shifters, AIs and Free spirits) taht are "exclusive" have a racial BP cost that replaces the typical metatype BP cost at CharGen.
* "Changed" options (including Infected, changelings, drakes) are treated as Qualities, since they are cumulative with different metatype choices. They are bought independently of the metatype BP cost (meaning a changeling character pays to be an Ork and then pays for the appropriate level of SURGE). As noted in the text, exceptionally, such qualities do not count towards your 35 BP limit.

< - - - - - >

If one takes Surge Qualities, does one get those Metagenic Qualities required by the Surge Quality Free? Or are they in addition, and the Surge Quality just enables you to take that many?

Synner
Buying one of the three levels of the SURGE quality (5 to 15 BPs) enables you to spend the additional BPs values listed on Positive and Negative Metagenetic qualities (and those alone). Note that gamemasters may reserve the right to assign your Negative Metagenetic quality BPs themselves to ensure balance.

< - - - - - >

I notice that several of the Infected and all the shape shifters have a Vulnerability weakness, that doesn't seem to appear in the BBB though, any idea what book I should look for it in.

Ancient History
Looks like we might have lost a Weakness in editing! Treat it as a Severe Allergy for the time being.

< - - - - - >

Hmmm would I be right in assuming buying the magician quality for a race/option/etc with a natural magic points doesn't get another free?

Ancient History
No, buying the Magician/Adept/Mystic Adept, etc. quality doesn't net you another Magic point for free. On the other hand, you can now initiate which is a good thing.

< - - - - - >

The survival tips section introductory fiction on page 20, fifth paragraph last sentence seems to just stop in mid-sentence.

the_dunner
That's on me. I've just double checked the original word document, and I apparently never finished the sentence, and never noticed it.

The missing words are "their stun batons."

< - - - - - >

Hey Devs or Freelancers where is:
Disease Carrier detailed for point costs and descriptions?

Synner
Disease Carrier was accidentally cut during editing and was a new mundane Negative quality that gave the character a chronic contagious disease. I'll post it to DSF later and it will be included in future Errata.

< - - - - - >

Arcane Arrester: Does the original Force or adjusted Force determine the Raw Hit limit for spells?

Synner
My ruling on this is that it the adjusted Force should limit hits as normal, however, the ambiguity of the writeup allows gamemasters to rule the other way if they want Arcane Arrester to be less powerful.

< - - - - - >

Infected Characters: Am I correct in assuming that since (IC) HMHVV-I can create magical aptitude in characters where none existed before and the Infected are Awakened, the player (OOC) can buy the Magician/Adept/Mystical Adept Qualities when the character gets Infected, even if Latent Awakening wasn't bought at character creation ?

Ancient History
No. Unless specifically stated, the character does not gain or can buy those Qualities just from being Infected.

< - - - - - >

Similar question for latent Drakes: if a character is such, since drakes are Awakened, can the player buy Magician/Adept/Mystical Adept when the dracoform manifests, even if he didn't buy Latent Awakening at character creation ?

Ancient History
Also no, see above except with "touched by a Dragon (pun intended)" instead of "Infected".

< - - - - - >

From reading the Infected chapter, I am left with the strong impression that the Infection Power, effectively, is nothing more than the HMHVV-I character sharing her blood fluids with the subject when it hits 0 Essence. Therefore, I wonder, is the actual presence of the Infected really necessary to "turn" someone, or a sample of Infected blood, or a purified sample of the virus suffices, if it's administed to a character before or just after it hits 0 Essence by whatever means ?

Ancient History
You need the Infection power to create HMHVV-I strain characters, as it requires a specific test to pass along the infection. Further details on the infection process may be forthcoming in the critters book some time down the line.

< - - - - - >

Following the same line of reasoning, is it possible for a 0.1+ Essence character to come in contact with HMHVV-I virus and become a carrier, and transform to a vampire or nosferatu if and when the character is drained to 0 Essence by whatever means, even much more later (from days to years) ?

Ancient History
No. Read the Carrier Negative Quality again; only one of the Infected with the Infection power can become a carrier for an HMHVV-I strain.

< - - - - - >

I've found an inconsistency. On p. 61 it says

Studies suggest
that HMHVV-positive individuals must consume
at least 1 percent of their body weight of appropriate
biomaterial each week or begin to suffer the
effects of malnutrition.

but on p. 78 it says

All Infected have a dietary requirement (p. 290, SR4); failure
to meet this dietary requirement (5% of their body weight per
week) results in slow starvation.

For an Infected of 80 kg, 0.8 kg of metahuman blood or flesh per week most definitely are not 4 kg. True, in most cases, it is going to be abstracted as part of the character's lifestyle, as per the Infected Lifestyle rule, but still, given the origin of the food, it's not trivial. Are the studies quoted on p. 61 uncorrect ?

Ancient History
In-character information always has the possibility of being incorrect or misleading. The rules on Dietary Requirement are correct.

< - - - - - >

Why does the cost of being a Changeling count against the 35 points of positive qualities allow at character generation when no other racial package counts against that same restriction?

Synner
Mainly for game balance and to ensure some level of rarity. Unlike many of the other "racial" options that have their own built-in restrictions, changeling abilities overlap and complement many augmentations and magical abilities, and designing changelings could potentially degenerate into an exercise in tweaking. While the extra cost won't stop this it will make it less appealing to anyone just looking for benefits (particularly for the more extreme SURGE options) since it will cut into your "Quality budget".

< - - - - - >

Arcane Arrester: Under the ruling that the adjusted Force is the limit on the caster's hits regarding that character:

1) Does Arcane Arrester adjust spells that do not affect the character, but they must still resist, such as Invisibility?
2) In the case of Indirect Combat spells, is the Force adjusted as the spell is cast, lowering the Raw Hits limit before the Defense roll, or after the subject is hit, reducing possible increases to damage from Net Hits, but not the chance of being hit?

Synner
1) It is a innante and uncontrollable ability which affects all magic effects against the character including stuff like Invisibility and Heal.

2)The latter. I've already noted this one for a FAQ reply.

< - - - - - >

Where is Warezhouse 24?

Synner
Warezhouse 24 is missing because it was a late addition intended to complement the material on the Cracker Underground in Unwired and not part of John Dunn's initial writeups.

Warezhouse 24 would be Connection: 3(13) (Base 3 + Membership 2 + Area 1 + Matrix 2) - I've made the Area of Influence limited to the Warezhouse 24 base of operations node hence only Area 1, however, were one to use the Warezhouse to recruit talent or hire botnets Area might even be considered global. As a rule of thumb the Area of Influence of a Virtual Contact should be in line with the group's actual function and effective ability to implement its agenda. This stat should be discussed with the gamemaster when taking a Virtual Contact.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 5 2008, 08:01 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Aug 5 2008, 08:45 AM) *
Unanswered Questions
Why does the cost of being a Changeling count against the 35 points of positive qualities allow at character generation when no other racial package counts against that same restriction?

Mainly for game balance and to ensure some level of rarity. Unlike many of the other "racial" options that have their own built-in restrictions, changeling abilities overlap and complement many augmentations and magical abilities, and designing changelings could potentially degenerate into an exercise in tweaking. While the extra cost won't stop this it will make it less appealing to anyone just looking for benefits (particularly for the more extreme SURGE options) since it will cut into your "Quality budget".

Arcane Arrester: Under the ruling that the adjusted Force is the limit on the caster's hits regarding that character:
1) Does Arcane Arrester adjust spells that do not affect the character, but they must still resist, such as Invisibility?

It is a innante and uncontrollable ability which affects all magic effects against the character including stuff like Invisibility and Heal.

2) In the case of Indirect Combat spells, is the Force adjusted as the spell is cast, lowering the Raw Hits limit before the Defense roll, or after the subject is hit, reducing possible increases to damage from Net Hits, but not the chance of being hit?

The latter. I've already noted this one for a FAQ reply.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Aug 5 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #3

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 3 2008, 02:02 AM) *
Hermit: The intent is for the players and gamemaster to work out what Connection rating is appropriate for the specific contact the character actually possesses. As such what follows are the simply sample Connection ratings John Dunn prepared for the Group and Virtual Contacts in Runner's Companion and my notes on the subject in yellow.
  • 9x9 - Connection: 2(10) (Base 2 + Membership 6 + Area 2) A specific cell in the organization rather than the group as a whole might have a lower membership or area of influence.
    Anarchist Black Cross (AB+) - Connection: 3(17) (Base 3 + Membership 8 + Area 6) Again this is an in with the AB+ network, a local cell will have lower Membership and Area ratings.
  • Argus - Connection: 6(20) (Base 6 + Membership 6 + Area 6 + Magic 1 + Matrix 1) These stats might be reflect a character who possesses an Argus Intelligence Service Subscription.
  • Atlantean Foundation - Connection: 6(26) (Base 6 + Membership 8 + Area 6 + Magic 6) The high ratings in membership, Area of Influence and Magic here reflect a contact with the organization's inner circle and international leadership rather than the Renton Atlantean Foundation branch.
  • Humanis Policlub (international network) - Connection: 3[8] (Base 3 + Membership 4 + Area 1)Unlike the example above the Membership and Area of Influence stats here reflect a local chapterhouse/policlub as a contact rather than the Policlub's international network.
  • Komun'go Ring - Connection: 4(11) (Base 4+ Membership 4 + Area 2 + Magic 1) Local syndicates and second tier gangs are good examples of Groups which are less likely to have variable connection ratings. The stats here represent the Komun'go Ring as a whole in Seattle.
  • Project Monad - Connection: 5(12) (Base 5 + Membership 2+ Area 1 + Matrix 4) A corporate think tank or research group is another example of a low variability connection rating.
  • Rusted Stilettos - Connection: 3[8] (Base 3 + Membership 4 + Area 1) As a small time gang the Stilettos represent a group with a relatively small scope of operations and consequently a pretty straight forward Connection rating.
  • TerraFirst! - Connection: 3(7) (Base 3 + Membership 2 + Area 2) In this case the contact refers to a Terrafirst local cell, connections at higher levels would increase the Area of Influence and Membership ratings.
  • The Unseen - Connection: 6(18) (Base 6 + Membership 2 + Area 4 + Magic 6) A specialized magic group has a fixed Membership, Area of Influence and Magic resources.
  • The Exchange - Connection: 3(17) (Base 3 + Membership 8 + Area 2 + Matrix 4)Virtual networks particularly those that are far-reaching will not have low Membership, Area of Influence and a minimal Matrix Rating.
  • The Outpost - Connection: 3(16) (Base 3 + Membership 6+ Area 6 + Matrix 1)
  • ShadowSEA - Connection: 2(11) (Base 2 + Membership 6 + Area 2 + Matrix 1)

To exemplify how individual contact's Connection rating might vary for large groups let's take something like the IOND:
  • Illuminates of the New Dawn (Outer Circle /local chapter) - Connection: 3((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (Base 3 + Membership 3 + Area 1 + Magic 1) The Membership and Area of Influence stats here reflect a local chapterhouse/policlub as a contact.
  • Illuminates of the New Dawn (Inner Circle/international leadership) - Connection: 3(25) (Base 3 + Membership 8 + Area 6 + Magic 6 + Matrix 2) These stats might reflect a contact with IOND North American leadership and its resouces.

Good idea this thread! Even if I´m getting positivly giddy with all this talk about errata and FAQ questions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I really appreciate it!

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Aug 5 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

Where is Warehouse 24?

WMS

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 5 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Its contents were shipped to Facility 342 in Tokyo (now Neo-Tokyo) in 2029. See Corporate Enclaves for details.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Aug 5 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 5 2008, 04:09 PM) *
Its contents were shipped to Facility 342 in Tokyo (now Neo-Tokyo) in 2029. See Corporate Enclaves for details.

AH despite any appearances I was asking a serious question. Thank you for your attempt at humor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

WMS

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Aug 6 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

OK Synner posted a list of contacts and organizations of contacts but one does not seem to be listed.

WarezHouse 24

RC page 130
Warezhouse 24
Uses: Hacker updates, file-sharing, warez and patch trading Similar Contacts: London Eye, Trading Post, The Black Hat
This illegal cracker operation has been around since shortly after the Crash 2.0. It is a virtual private network whose physical location remains a mystery. Though most of the users are North American, the hardware is rumored to be in some legal no-man’s land like Bogotá, Lagos or Caracas. Finding and connecting to the appropriate node involves a blind drop of an identification key to an address in the Caracas Matrix. Once this is verified the user receives an read-and-wipe email with a link to the VPN’s current address.

WMS

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 6 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Oh warezhouse. I misunderstood the reference.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 6 2008, 01:29 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

in the first section of the book (page 17, 'on the grift'), improved attribute (charisma) is a recommended adept power for face characters. improved attribute cannot increase charisma, because charisma is not a physical attribute. in point of fact, there is no improved attribute power, there is only an improved *physical* attribute power.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Aug 6 2008, 02:05 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Hmm
Exceptional Attribute Quality is both Mental and Physical
Improved Physical Attribute Adept Power is Physical Only
Genetic Optimization Geneware works on Mental and Physical
Biosculpting Optional Rule effects Charisma

but here is quote that should have some bearing
Munchkin

Munchkins are infamous for various degrees of cheating, willfully misinterpreting rules that work against them while loudly proclaiming ones that work in their favor. As a matter of course they selectively obey the letter of rules while perverting the spirit blatantly. The worst munchkins will cheat shamelessly, ignoring inconvenient numerical modifiers and fouling dice throws till they get the result they want. During character creation, munchkins engage in vicious min-maxing, leading to exceptionally unrealistic or unusual characters who make no sense except in terms of raw power.

WMS

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 6 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 5 2008, 11:05 PM) *
Where is Warehouse 24?

Warezhouse 24 is missing because it was a late addition intended to complement the material on the Cracker Underground in Unwired and not part of John Dunn's initial writeups.

Warezhouse 24 would be Connection: 3(13) (Base 3 + Membership 2 + Area 1 + Matrix 2) - I've made the Area of Influence limited to the Warezhouse 24 base of operations node hence only Area 1, however, were one to use the Warezhouse to recruit talent or hire botnets Area might even be considered global. As a rule of thumb the Area of Influence of a Virtual Contact should be in line with the group's actual function and effective ability to implement its agenda. This stat should be discussed with the gamemaster when taking a Virtual Contact.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Aug 7 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

Just for Clarification: Using the Priority Build system, do you still only use 1 skill point for a Skill Group? I did not see anything that said otherwise.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Aug 7 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #13

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Cardul @ Aug 7 2008, 05:28 AM) *
Just for Clarification: Using the Priority Build system, do you still only use 1 skill point for a Skill Group? I did not see anything that said otherwise.

Yep. One point per rating. Clean and simple.

Besides, the cost of the skill group is already figured in, so you might as well take it. =i)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Aug 7 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

Is there anything preventing an Infected from taking the Type-O quality, & in the case of those with Regeneration, being able to accept standard Bioware?

Is there anything preventing an Infected from taking SURGE qualities, & gaining access to the Metagenetic qualities?

QUOTE (Synner)
It is a innante and uncontrollable ability which affects all magic effects against the character including stuff like Invisibility and Heal.

From your wording, I believe you may have misunderstood my original question; I was not asking about someone trying to make you invisible, I was asking about someone invisible trying to sneak past you. The spell in question is not affecting you, yet you must still resist it. Is it's Force (and thus maximum hits) reduced by Arcane Arrester for the purposes of you resisting someone else's invisibility so you can then see them?

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Aug 8 2008, 05:50 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,997

What the heck are Enhanced Senses (in Creation for Infected, Drake, etc.)? Do you mean Enhanced Perception, and if so at what rank?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 8 2008, 06:04 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

The Enhanced Senses critter powr (p.288, SR4); different critters have different Enhanced Senses. These include but are not limited to low-light and thermographic vision, enhanced smell and taste, etc.

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Aug 8 2008, 06:30 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Thanks.

Next question: what do they do? I mean, thermo vision's easy enough, but what does "enhanced hearing and smell" mean in-game?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 8 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Traditionally been ill-defined, but typical examples are tracking by scent, scent-bombs to throw off tracking by scent, composure tests in crowded/very smelly places, reading fear off people, that kind of thing.

+Quote Post
Isath
post Aug 8 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,062

I usually treat them as their cyber counterparts (if there are any).

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Aug 9 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

There appears to be a slight discrepancy with shapeshifter stats. In any character with racial maximums at or above 6, there is always a 6 point spread from minimum to maximum. 1-6. 4-9. 7-12. Etc. And yet on the Jaguar/Leopard shifter, the Lion/Tiger shifter and the Bear shifter, their larger attributes seem to have swayed from this. Instead of 6 point spreads, there's as little as 4 and as much as 7. 5/8 for Agility for the Jaguar/Leopard and Lion/Tiger shifters, for example. And the 7/13 spread for Body and strength on Bears.

Is this a mistype?

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Aug 10 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

As above, but note the Eagle shiter's Willpower is 3/9 (13). Following the normal guidelines, it would be 3/8 (12) or 4/9 (13).

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Aug 14 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Regarding the Shifter optional rule to have your human form actually be a metahuman of some sort, it states you pay 10 points less than the racial bp cost of that metatype and you inherit their abilities.

Does this mean only things like Low Light vision, or the reach bonus, or dermal armor, or whatever? Or are we talking additional stat mods?

If the former, it seems pointless in some combinations to choose ork or elf as some shifters get low-light vision already. So you'd pay 10-20 points for nothing at all.

If it's the latter, how does that affect the shifter stats? Combine the modifiers? Take the higher of the two values?

Clarification is definitely needed on this.

+Quote Post
DreadPirateKitte...
post Aug 19 2008, 02:42 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,766

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 14 2008, 01:30 PM) *
Regarding the Shifter optional rule to have your human form actually be a metahuman of some sort, it states you pay 10 points less than the racial bp cost of that metatype and you inherit their abilities.

Does this mean only things like Low Light vision, or the reach bonus, or dermal armor, or whatever? Or are we talking additional stat mods?

If the former, it seems pointless in some combinations to choose ork or elf as some shifters get low-light vision already. So you'd pay 10-20 points for nothing at all.

If it's the latter, how does that affect the shifter stats? Combine the modifiers? Take the higher of the two values?

Clarification is definitely needed on this.

Also want clarification on this.

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Aug 19 2008, 03:31 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

As do I.

+Quote Post
Maelwys
post Aug 19 2008, 03:42 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 143

Another quick clarification.

Bear stats, the "+1 Reach" doesn't have an asterisk next to it. Does that mean they retain that bonus in Metahuman form? Kinda a homage to the fluff that bear shifters make big people as well?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.