Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Target: olympics.
shadowfire
post Aug 13 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,447

So i was wondering if the Olympics would still be happening during the sixth age.

if so, what would the events be, would there be new ones?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VagabondStar
post Aug 13 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,080

Shadowbeat addresses the Olympics - I can't remember the specifics - but there is a lot of corruption, and it isn't very popular.

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Aug 13 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 149

Didn't one of the SOTA books also do an update on Sports in the 60s? I think Football, Urban Brawl, Combat Bike and Hockey all got a mention

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 13 2008, 06:43 AM
Post #4

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...'64

+Quote Post
shadowfire
post Aug 13 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,447

i should really get around to reading my books, i think..

thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Aug 13 2008, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

If you think about it though it makes sense that they'd drop in popularity. I mean look at them now. There's a controversy over a swimsuit. Imagine what gills and webbed feet mean. Never mind the effect that the death of the nation state would cause.

Here's a thought though... What if the Olympics had become less of a contest between athletes and more of a contest between R&D divisions. It has an atmosphere more like a technology fair or conference where the latest and greatest cyber bio and genetic engineering is unveiled. It might be much more popular than stated in Shadowbeat. It could be hugely popular among tech nerds of various stripes, especially among transhumanists. That creates some interesting possibilities. The corps would be heavily invested in it unveiling stuff that's years away from the open market.

The best thing about it from a Shadowrun point of view is that all the hottest tech on and off the market is in one place at one time. It'd be a madhouse. The cities population of runners would triple along with the tourists as corps bring their baggage across the boarder. If the team actually managed to get through the insane security they could make of with billions of Nuyen worth of paydata. It'd actually be a pretty cool way to end a campaign.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 13 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

The Olympics are non-augmentation. Noone with any mods at all. Just pure talent.

Now, compare that to Urban Brawl where you have Cybered-Up grunts fighting in the street, or the Drone Football League which has guns...

No wonder it's lost popularity.

NASCAR has dropped the same way due to not allowing Augmentations, and still using restrictor plates. But I'm saying that in 2071, they added passengers with weapons.

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Aug 13 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #8

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 13 2008, 01:40 PM) *
NASCAR has dropped the same way due to not allowing Augmentations, and still using restrictor plates. But I'm saying that in 2071, they added passengers with weapons.

Heh death race does look look like a good remake.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 13 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

It'd certainly amp the ratings up against Combat Cycle!

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Aug 15 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

The other big change in the Olympics is that the AAA corps field teams too. So you can not swim fast enough for the Japanese national team but Renraku will 'hire you' for your 'job.' Or maybe they will Hire you because you are that good.

I do not know where they are held. One of the books talked about 2057 or 58 being in Tokyo and the problem was that the Japanese were not allowing changed persons to compete with regular humans, but could have seperate, 'special' events.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.