IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many 'runners make their own jobs?
The Jake
post Dec 21 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 872

I mean data snatchs, wetwork, bank heists, etc. etc. whatever.

How many runners out there, read the news, get info from their own contacts and make their own jobs as opposed to waiting around for the fixer to call?

I wish all crews did this. It's a pet peeve of mine that no runner crews I've played with, even some of the most talented ones, did not capitalise on their strengths like this to get the more lucrative jobs.

- J.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 21 2003, 01:04 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Well, to be fair, it's easier on the GM to hand a job offer rather than wait for players to think up the game themselves.

-Siege

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 21 2003, 01:06 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Yeah but that's always the way.

Once you reach a certain point, say a couple of years of SR or something, especially the veterans here who have been playing for 10 or more years, don't you think "you know what? stuff it, let's try and organise a heist of fairlight excaliburs..." or "lets rip of a heap of universal omnitech files and find a bidder" or "lets rip off zurich-orbital"

I dunno. Anything. Don't you all dream of one day having that big heist - the final pay off job like in HEAT or something like that?

- J.

+Quote Post
Solidcobra
post Dec 21 2003, 01:09 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,252

stealing lots of Excaliburs... sell, move to exotic place of your choice...
or, personal favourite: Enter Archology, grab science files and the head of a medusa, leave, sell to highest bidder, this should net you about 2-500k depending on how good the files are (the head alone should give you 1-200k really)

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Dec 21 2003, 01:16 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

How do you get the head off without the whole thing exploding?

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 21 2003, 01:19 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

A good example of creating your own run might be going through Dunkelzahn's will and scoring a few items here and there (e.g. bagging a toxic or insect shaman for a cool 1 million nuyen).

- J.

+Quote Post
Solidcobra
post Dec 21 2003, 01:27 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

a adept with a sword should get the head off nicely with a called shot with his weapon focus....

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 21 2003, 01:42 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

If I play again any time soon, I want to make up a decker/rigger (security expert) and focus on these types of jobs, especially B&E/datasnatch jobs. Either that or a very very skilled, very very specialsed decker that will probably focus on bank heists.

- J.

+Quote Post
lodestar
post Dec 21 2003, 01:47 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,720

The problem with self motivated runs is that the players are essentially funding their own operation rather than some corporate backer. Pulling off the "big score" requires a significant investment of time and money. Which if you're looking into a big run you probably don't have. Face it, if you already have enough nuyen kicking around to finance it, why would you need to do it? The players will however conduct their own runs if they have the right motivation. An example was when some gangers were harrassing one of my character's contacts, making business for the contact difficult to say the least. While not necessary, our characters went along with the idea of teaching some people a lesson, its always good to have a marker to cash in sometimes. For the most part our group usually comes up with sidelines to make any run more profitable. Anything from petty theft and smuggling to some GTA for a disposable vehicle or organlegging. (Bodies are loot! Actually a character had a ghoul contact, to keep in the good books he periodically did some distasteful activities)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 21 2003, 02:03 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (lodestar @ Dec 20 2003, 07:47 PM)
The problem with self motivated runs is that the players are essentially funding their own operation rather than some corporate backer. Pulling off the "big score" requires a significant investment of time and money. Which if you're looking into a big run you probably don't have.

See Ocean's Eleven for an example of how runners might go about getting around such a problem.

In any case, I agree with you 100%, Jake. Luckily, the people I usually game with are very creative and love to do this very thing, so it comes up quite often (I'd say about a fifth of all the runs we do are runner-inspired as opposed to Johnson-hired). It's just more fun when you're in it for yourself and have (mostly) total control over the operation.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Dec 21 2003, 02:05 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

This is one thing one of my groups excels at, and the other is starting to test the water.

The first group has always made their own decisions about what they do. I only have to come up with plot on the basis of stuff they do. Doesn't mean I don't come up with things anyway, but I really don't need to. The one time I did, it turned into a campaign - I had a contact ring them up and say he really wanted to leave employment at his corp but didn't know what to do about it. He didn't really tell them why and they didn't really ask. They helped, handed him over to Novatech for a hefty fee and a few favours and then Mr Consequences came to visit! I won't bore you with the details, but while dealing with this the team have been financing their own operation smuggling, using it to pay for all sorts of things that peak their interest. But its a smuggling campaign, its much easier to make lots of money fast.

The other game is a more traditional shadowrun team. But they will occasionally do things off their own bat. The characters develop interests, especially the magically active and deckers, lots of which require a shadowrun team's special skills, and the rest of the team pitch in if it will help the team as opposed to just the individual. Even then they might help depending on circumstances.

What sparked off this rash of initiative to start with was the sub orbital crash in seattle. The team were mid job when it hit, and had to get back across town. They heard about it on the radio, figured every emergency service in the whole plex was focussed on Redmond, and went to Tacoma after the job in the team Citymaster (civilian variant, but armoured and with hidden mounts, obviously), and ram raided a computer shop. They only got a medium range deck and some programs before they figured a drone would be on the way, and split, but it netted them a good couple hundred thou even after the 30% street price.

...Which they used on cyber surgery for the sammie, but that's by the by.

If you want to encourage them, do a bit of downtime. Ask them about their character's intrests and do an encounter during one of their downtime activities. Get their interest in their character's personal lives and they might start doing things independently as a result. But a lot of people don't like to play shadowrun that way, with the downtime and all, and like the pick up and play value. In that case, when they are looking for gear, instead of their contacts coming up with the goods, have them fail but (because he's such a good chummer) tell them where they could get their hands on it, but unfortunately they'd need to break into a blah blah blah. You've instigated it, but its much more their choice whether they go for it or not than a cash offer job for an employer where rep is an important factor (and what team turns down a job? Mostly no-one wants to nark off the GM that much...).

hth

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Dec 21 2003, 02:26 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Actually, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you meant that the runners secretly set up the situation and then let themselves be hired to fix it, thereby cashing in on it.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 21 2003, 02:32 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Dec 21 2003, 02:26 AM)
Actually, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you meant that the runners secretly set up the situation and then let themselves be hired to fix it, thereby cashing in on it.

That would work too.

The purpose being that the PCs be PROACTIVE in seeking work (or creating work) as opposed to being REACTIVE.

- J.

+Quote Post
3Threes
post Dec 21 2003, 03:08 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,776

Best advantage of players initiating thier own runs ------- You wont be getting backstabbed and doublecrossed 95% of the time by your Johnsons.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 21 2003, 03:15 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

QUOTE (3Threes)
Best advantage of players initiating thier own runs ------- You wont be getting backstabbed and doublecrossed 95% of the time by your Johnsons.

True. Although I think in my (previous) players cases they feel that it's safer if they get a lot of their intel from the Johnson and then just double check it further or fill in the gaps, rather than having to rely on doing ALL the legwork on their own.

In other words, laziness :)

- J.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Dec 21 2003, 06:15 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Solidcobra)
a adept with a sword should get the head off nicely with a called shot with his weapon focus....

And why would that not set off the Deus "I don't want humans stealing my designs"™ self-destruct?

+Quote Post
Solidcobra
post Dec 21 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

dunno, maybe it's only in the body?

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Dec 22 2003, 07:26 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

It wouldn't not set it off. But it might not destroy the head if it was already seperated and for any reason didnt have explosives wired into it. How the guy survives is his own lookout, mind...

+Quote Post
lodestar
post Dec 22 2003, 07:36 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,720

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (lodestar @ Dec 20 2003, 07:47 PM)
The problem with self motivated runs is that the players are essentially funding their own operation rather than some corporate backer. Pulling off the "big score" requires a significant investment of time and money. Which if you're looking into a big run you probably don't have.

See Ocean's Eleven for an example of how runners might go about getting around such a problem.

Like I said, the "run" in Ocean's Eleven is motivated by a bit more than just money. (For Mr Ocean anyways) If the characters have the right motivation, they're more than willing to use their own innitiative. For example the characters might be motivated into their money making scheme of choice if they have a need for it aside from just getting rich. Face it you as the GM don't want your PCs getting rich other wise the campaign ends and they all retire to the South Pacific. If suddenly they need some nuyen to get a friend out of trouble, or just do it to screw someone over they'll be a lot more active with the idea. Your job as the GM of course is to provide the motivation, hopefully the players will do the rest. While greed is a powerful motivator to most PCs (and players!) I find that vengeance or desperation tend to be better ones.

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Dec 22 2003, 08:17 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

Well, what about a better example -- the opening theft in the recent remake of The Italian Job? Scuba gear, contact explosives, a few boats, some underwater equipment, a few other odds and ends...

And they scored somewhere on the order of $30 million plus in gold bars.

Admittedly, opportunities like that aren't going to come around very often at all, but that's an instance where the take was exponentially larger than the expenditure.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Dec 22 2003, 08:31 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

If you do like in Entrapment, or what normal runners do. You do a few small jobs to get the capital to do the big jobs. Runners do small jobs to buy equipment for the bigger and better jobs. Eventually you could pull off the real big score with all the gear you stock piled from other runs. Some of my runners have a basement full of gear used in a job but rarely gets pulled out, but is kept in case it is needed again, like a man portable mortarand a case or 2 of smoke and flash rounds. And somethings happen all the time, like gold deleveries, you just need the inside info. So you can plan for up to years before the final hit. I personally know a place that takes out half a million dollars a day and a few million over the holidays, and it is handled by the same people in the same way everyday for at least 8 years since I have been there except the new guy ont the route now carriers a MP5 (I guess they over heard something and stopped an attempt before in the last 8 years). So if I was a runner I could have had the equipment and the plan by now and have cultivated the inside info to pull it off, and do pretty well at getting away with it.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Dec 22 2003, 08:59 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Frag-o Delux Posted on Dec 22 2003, 08:31 PM
I personally know a place that takes out half a million dollars a day and a few million over the holidays, and it is handled by the same people in the same way everyday for at least 8 years since I have been there except the new guy ont the route now carriers a MP5 (I guess they over heard something and stopped an attempt before in the last 8 years).

[emphasis mine]

yeah, they overheard us... :D

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Dec 22 2003, 09:05 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

It is my way of hiding the fact I am posting from the lock up, damn my cover is blown. :D

+Quote Post
Jpwoo
post Dec 22 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,613

The players have to know what is out there before they decide to steal it. If you want to foster this kind of run have fixers start dropping information on the players. One of my players had a fixer who never sold them anything other than tidbits of information, normally for about 5k a pop, 15k if they wanted to keep the information exclusive. He would call them and tell them about a big shipment of APDS ammo going to a mil base, or about some fatcat out of town decker who was hitting clubs. This started out small and built to these fees, but it worked out to be pretty equitable. And you never know where the characters will go with it. Will they hit the decker and steal his gear, will they try and make a contact, will they case the guys flophouse and sell his location to a corp. who knows! it is great.

+Quote Post
Seidaku
post Dec 23 2003, 09:22 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 4,489

Though I can't speak for other groups, I can certainly relate my experiences in MY group. The whole 'proactive job aquisition' thing is something I've been yearning to do from the get-go. Getting the whole group to go along with it, though, is nigh impossible. Most of the others are very much "wait for the GM to drop us a plothook" people, which drives me crazy. Now, I'll admit, I might have set my sights a bit too high initially (my first time playing Shadowrun, I wanted to hunt Blood Magi for the DF reward. I was quickly shouted down), but my group seems reluctant to take even the *slightest* initiative. I guess this sort of thing varies from person to person.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.