> Recoil and Cyberarms, Far away from his books both in Time and Location
PiXeL01
post Aug 21 2008, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,483

Hey hey.

After a few years break from SR a friend of mine decided to start a new campaign, which lead me to come up with a character concept. My main problem with this character is I cant specifically remember how the rules on Recoil comp works in SR3 and while I am sitting in Japan atm my books are back in Europe.

As for my character my idea is for him to be an X-machine gunner who retired from the army and had his cyber removed or severely downgraded. In his past he had a Cyberarm with a built-in Gyromount and almost as much strength as possible built into the thing to help him manage the weapon during engagements.

So basically my question is (not having been a grunt at any time and being far away from my books) would a cyberarm with strength increases be used when calculating Recoil comp or will it be the average strength of the entire body.

The only recoil rules I remember are the ones from Fields of Fire with every other point of Str from 5 and up gave one point of recoil comp.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 21 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

depends, SR3 or 4?
in SR4 you get one point of Recoil compensation with strength greater than 5, two points with strength greater than 11, and the third point of recoil comes with a strength greater than 17 if i remember correctly . .
also, aside from REALLY heavy weapons like HMG or Assault Cannons, i would not average but only use the strength of the arm . . maybe with the limitation of if you fire the weapon single handedly at least . .

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Aug 21 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

SR3 its -1 recoil for str 6-11 and -2 recoil str 12-18. Should you get more than 19+ str then you get -3 recoil.

For smg and smaller weapons I'd let the strength of the limb count towards recoil. Averaged out the strength for 2 handed weapons. A troll of course can ingore the +2 tn to hit when using only one hand.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 21 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

yeah, in that case you're perfectly good to go doing it that way i'd say as far as i remember

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Aug 21 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

Cheers

+Quote Post
PiXeL01
post Aug 22 2008, 07:13 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,483

Thank you for your replies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 22 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

is what we're there for ^^

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Aug 22 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

So umm...if the weapon is braced against your shoulder, as in a rifle-style configuration like everything not a handgun/machine pistol, how does being hyper-strong in the arms effect recoil impulsing more into your upper trunk than anything else? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif)

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Aug 22 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Strength isn't just a measure of how beefy your arms are. It's also how strong your legs, chest, stomach and back muscles are. Stronger people will be able to brace themselves more because their body can absorb more recoil naturally.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 22 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (psychophipps @ Aug 22 2008, 04:45 PM) *
So umm...if the weapon is braced against your shoulder, as in a rifle-style configuration like everything not a handgun/machine pistol, how does being hyper-strong in the arms effect recoil impulsing more into your upper trunk than anything else? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif)

'cause in SR Recoil seems to be only the muzzle of the gun and because of that the barrel rising.
so if your arms are strong enough to keep it from going up, the rest of the body-weight keeps the arms from going up.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Aug 23 2008, 03:49 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 22 2008, 11:59 AM) *
'cause in SR Recoil seems to be only the muzzle of the gun and because of that the barrel rising.
so if your arms are strong enough to keep it from going up, the rest of the body-weight keeps the arms from going up.

You could have just said, "Because the devs have no bloody clue about guns, man", y'know? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.