Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Self Cannabalization, or Infected in the RAW
raverbane
post Aug 22 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,735

Now, this does go against common sense. But, as most of us know, common sense isn't very common nowdays.

This is purely by the RAW.

I was reading over the rules in the BBB and RC. The books talk about the Infected still being Metahuman under the listing of Sufficiently Inhuman. I can't find any reference that says an Infected with Regeneration can't consume thier own flesh/blood to satisfy thier own Dietary Requirement.

This wont help them with Essence Loss. But, the night to night Shadowrunning activities lend themselves to plenty of oppurtunities to scarf up a point of essence here and there.

Now, as a GM and reasonably bright person, I wouldn't allow a player to use themselves as a Sip-Up. But, I was wondering if there was any reference that I had missed that explicitly forbids it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oenone
post Aug 22 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,167

Personally I'd say that the requirements are for uninfected flesh.

But even if by RAW you can do that it's pretty much like saying you could improve from street lifestyle to squatter lifestyle by chewing on your own arm...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 22 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

which, an infected, just could . .

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 22 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

If a PC tried that I'd be tempted to introduce the concept of entropy in anthropomorphic form. A cute but obviously magical little girl in powerder-blue pajamas with stars and unicorns on them flied down from the sky with a giant hammer that is bigger than a troll in her hands and introduces herself with the simple and concise phrase "I'm Entropy, bitch", before smacking the PC in question so hard with the giant hammer that he lands is Cleveland.

In other words, no ... just no.

Energy has to come from somewhere and though vampires may be able to eat other vampires they can't draw any new sustenance from their own bodies, attempts to do so would just make them starve faster.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Aug 22 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,811

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 22 2008, 03:57 PM) *
If a PC tried that I'd be tempted to introduce the concept of entropy in anthropomorphic form. A cute but obviously magical little girl in powerder-blue pajamas with stars and unicorns on them flied down from the sky with a giant hammer that is bigger than a troll in her hands and introduces herself with the simple and concise phrase "I'm Entropy, bitch", before smacking the PC in question so hard with the giant hammer that he lands is Cleveland.

In other words, no ... just no.

Energy has to come from somewhere and though vampires may be able to eat other vampires they can't draw any new sustenance from their own bodies, attempts to do so would just make them starve faster.

Technically the energy would come from the manasphere magically regrowing the limb in cases of regeneration. It's more like trying to drink a lake dry than anything else. *ducks hides*

However I think that the flesh has to be non-infected. Otherwise ghouls would hunt down and eat their own kind, but they don't.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 22 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (BRodda @ Aug 22 2008, 03:02 PM) *
Technically the energy would come from the manasphere magically regrowing the limb in cases of regeneration. It's more like trying to drink a lake dry than anything else. *ducks hides*

The ability to heal wounds does not imply the ability to provide extra sustenance. There is a great deal of leeway in the interpretation of how Regeneration works and since it doesn't provide any lifestyle cost reductions, I'd say that this trick cannot work.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 22 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (BRodda @ Aug 22 2008, 09:02 PM) *
However I think that the flesh has to be non-infected. Otherwise ghouls would hunt down and eat their own kind, but they don't.

Vampires where always able to drain Essence from other infected.
I don't see why this should be different for the dietary requirement.
And ghouls in Asamando did hunt down the savage members of their population.

I don't get why everybody and his brother tries to find loopholes for the dietary requirement anyway.
That's the less problematic one of the two disadvantages.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 22 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

"It's like trying to cure a zombie by locking him in a room full of normal people!"

Seriously, I'll never quite understand what it is about the Infected (or vampires/cannibals in general) that drives this kind of thinking.

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Aug 23 2008, 03:19 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,997

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 22 2008, 03:38 PM) *
"It's like trying to cure a zombie by locking him in a room full of normal people!"

Seriously, I'll never quite understand what it is about the Infected (or vampires/cannibals in general) that drives this kind of thinking.

Perhaps your comment in that other thread about Infected feeding on their own blood? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Aug 23 2008, 03:24 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 22 2008, 01:57 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

Thank you! I needed a good laugh.

I will now have to rip that description for a free spirit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.