IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dikote for improved hand razors, Can ya do it?
Munchkinslayer
post Dec 22 2003, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,702

Improved hand razors are extra dense, and therefore can hold an extra fine edge. Dikote puts a diamond film on a substance, effectively granting the same properties as the carbide blade in improved hand razors.

The question is: Can you double up? Can you dikote improved hand razors? Or is it all just redundant-munchkinism?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Dec 22 2003, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

I don't see why you couldn't. I've seen it done before...

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Dec 22 2003, 04:25 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

I agree: unless it's prohibited anywhere, I don't see why you couldn't laminate the blades.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 22 2003, 04:30 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

you would, of course, have to get them dikoted *prior* to installation

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 22 2003, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Munchkinslayer @ Dec 22 2003, 10:09 AM)
Or is it all just redundant-munchkinism?

Yes, because blowing a minimum of 15,000 nuyen and 0.1 Essence for the (non-retractable version) equivalence of a Reach 0 non-Dikoted Katana is totally munchkin.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Dec 22 2003, 06:35 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Munchkinslayer)
The question is: Can you double up? Can you dikote improved hand razors? Or is it all just redundant-munchkinism?

Sure, you can dikote implant blade weapons. Just make sure you dikote the blades before they're implanted. A 1200C/2200F microwave oven can cause excessive dryness and flakiness in the skin.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Dec 22 2003, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

:rotfl:

+Quote Post
Hero
post Dec 22 2003, 07:21 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

I thought the blades on hand razors where removable, I mean it would make perfect sense if you say chipped or shattered one, make it way hell easier to repair then having your fingers cut open again. I see no problem with dikoting the razors after implantation, they should be metal so they could with stand the processes of dikoting.

+Quote Post
Munchkinslayer
post Dec 22 2003, 09:39 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,702

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Munchkinslayer @ Dec 22 2003, 10:09 AM)
Or is it all just redundant-munchkinism?

Yes, because blowing a minimum of 15,000 nuyen and 0.1 Essence for the (non-retractable version) equivalence of a Reach 0 non-Dikoted Katana is totally munchkin.

Is that sarcasm? It's so hard to tell with you, Doc.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 22 2003, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

No, I'm totally serious. I've never seen anything more munchy in all my days. <shakes his fist in the air>

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 22 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Hero)
I thought the blades on hand razors where removable, I mean it would make perfect sense if you say chipped or shattered one, make it way hell easier to repair then having your fingers cut open again. I see no problem with dikoting the razors after implantation, they should be metal so they could with stand the processes of dikoting.

It doesn't state this in canon. I would rule that they are not removable, thereby requiring surgery to repair them.

+Quote Post
Matrix Monkey
post Dec 22 2003, 10:31 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,813

QUOTE (Munchkinslayer)
Is that sarcasm? It's so hard to tell with you, Doc.

He wouldn't! :S
See, THIS is why there's a *sarcasm* smiley :D

+Quote Post
ting-bu-dong
post Dec 23 2003, 06:18 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 5,618

QUOTE (Hero)
I see no problem with dikoting the razors after implantation, they should be metal so they could with stand the processes of dikoting.

Hi,
but your hands are not (at least most of the time) and if I remember correctly the description of Dikote in Man & Machine mentioned plasma use during the process? If I understand this correctly, your razors would be dikeoted, but your hands would have been burned or melted away.

tbd

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Dec 23 2003, 06:27 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,909

QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (Munchkinslayer @ Dec 22 2003, 04:09 PM)
The question is:  Can you double up?  Can you dikote improved hand razors?  Or is it all just redundant-munchkinism?

Sure, you can dikote implant blade weapons. Just make sure you dikote the blades before they're implanted. A 1200C/2200F microwave oven can cause excessive dryness and flakiness in the skin.

i see no problem with dicoting implants after installation the dryness and flakyness can be treated with any ointment designed to treat 40th degree burns :D

+Quote Post
Hero
post Dec 23 2003, 07:06 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

QUOTE (ting-bu-dong)
QUOTE (Hero @ Dec 22 2003, 02:21 PM)
I see no problem with dikoting the razors after implantation, they should be metal so they could with stand the processes of dikoting.

Hi,
but your hands are not (at least most of the time) and if I remember correctly the description of Dikote in Man & Machine mentioned plasma use during the process? If I understand this correctly, your razors would be dikeoted, but your hands would have been burned or melted away.

tbd

You should have read the entire post man, if you did you would have caught the part where I mentioned that the blades them selves where removable and separate from the implant. But that has since been shot down.

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Dec 23 2003, 04:25 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

Has no one thought of simply telling the cyberdoc, "Hey, before you cut open my fingers and put those things in, I'd like you to work with this chemist and do some out of the ordinary work on the blades...."? :]

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Dec 23 2003, 05:43 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

Actually the retractable hand razoers do have removable blades, and that is Canon. Street Samurai Catalogue (1st & 2nd Ed). Check out the page mentioning the improved versions. Shadowtalk states that you just pop on down to your nearest street doc and get them to replace the blades, no surgery necessary. Of course, with the non-retractable versions you'd better do it before they're implanted.

So logically continuing on from this it would also be posssible to dikote cyberspurs too, although I'd opt for a minor surgical procedure here. Not drastically invasive, but you'd need a surgical/medical workshop at the minimum to change the blades. Probably a light wound to recover from afterwards too.

Don't forget that dikote can wear away too. It suffers degradation everytime it hits something. Eventually a striking surface is going to have to be recoated. Think of it as resharpening your sword - after all they get blunted and chipped in combat. Its one thing that isn't universally renown for a lack of wear and tear and generaic destruction is combat. So while your at it, make those players pay if they forget to repair their armour.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Dec 23 2003, 05:58 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Dikote wears away? It's diamond hard... I could see some dedicated abrasion doing damage to the coating, but normal wear and tear seems like something it would endure well.

Anyway, twin dikoted retractable improved hand razors is very evil. I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to do (Str x 1.5 + 3) M damage in melee?

And, for that matter, the twinned spurs are even uglier at (Str x 1.5 + 1) S damage.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 23 2003, 10:10 PM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE)
Actually the retractable hand razoers do have removable blades, and that is Canon. Street Samurai Catalogue (1st & 2nd Ed). Check out the page mentioning the improved versions. Shadowtalk states that you just pop on down to your nearest street doc and get them to replace the blades, no surgery necessary. Of course, with the non-retractable versions you'd better do it before they're implanted.[/quote]

Fair enough. :)
Don't forget that dikote can wear away too. It suffers degradation everytime it hits something.

Where is this stated in canon?

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Dec 23 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Fortune)

As a temporary holder until someone finds the real quote, ISTR reading that dikote does wear off, but no rules are given for it.

And that's realistic enough. Banging and flexing metal surfaces with a diamond coating is going to result in the stiffer diamond coating flexing and popping off the more flexible metal.

+Quote Post
leemur
post Dec 24 2003, 07:54 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 5,803

QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 23 2003, 10:10 PM)

As a temporary holder until someone finds the real quote, ISTR reading that dikote does wear off, but no rules are given for it.

And that's realistic enough. Banging and flexing metal surfaces with a diamond coating is going to result in the stiffer diamond coating flexing and popping off the more flexible metal.

Diamond drills, used to drill through solid rock, run almost nonstiop for about 6 months before needing to be replaced.

With heavy use, the diamond coated edge might wear down, but at slower rate than a normal (non-dikoted) weapon would.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Dec 24 2003, 03:21 PM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (leemur)
Diamond drills, used to drill through solid rock, run almost nonstiop for about 6 months before needing to be replaced.

With heavy use, the diamond coated edge might wear down, but at slower rate than a normal (non-dikoted) weapon would.

That's a different loading condition than a sword. The drillbit does not flex like a sword blade.

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Dec 24 2003, 03:53 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE @ Dec 24 2003, 04:43 AM)

Don't forget that dikote can wear away too. It suffers degradation everytime it hits something.

Not so much as rules but it is mentioned as Shadowtalk under the Dikote entry in Shadowtech. Personally, its something that I've always used for edged weapons because of game balance. After all, Dikote is only a film coating, its not as if the blade is made from the substance like a diamond drill tip. I'd therefore say that replacing it after making a botch in a melee combat or at least once a year would be just GM decisions. Possibly more often if it's weilded by a sword-swinging combat monster. (Kill Bill anyone?) :]

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 25 2003, 01:27 AM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the idea. I just didn't recall any hard-and-fast rules concerning it. :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.