Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where to run?, Other cities to run in
Jimson
post Aug 28 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,364

I am thinking of starting up another group a Shadowrunners with my players, but in a different city/country. I’m wondering what cities/countries other people are playing in. And what do you like/dislike about those other cities/countries.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Aug 28 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

We play in Miami - modified to our taste. I like it since it's close to the Caribbean, and has strong Mafia/Houngan/Pirate themes. Also, the classic armored duster and other armor clothes tend to be less used in the heat, and stand out more.

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Aug 28 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,997

Hong Kong's always fun, but my personal favorite will ALWAYS be Istanbul. Info on both is in Runner Havens.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Aug 28 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #4

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Again, Baltimore. Major port city (probably the biggest in the UCAS at this point), right next to DeeCee and the CAS, but still independent of each, full of poverty and crime (it's been in the top 15 murder capitals on and off for the past 5 years) but flush with cash from DeeCee buying so much of Maryland. Lots of mafia connections, tons of corporations investing there, quite wired, but still struggling with pollution and extreme poverty.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Aug 28 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,811

QUOTE (Jimson @ Aug 28 2008, 11:26 AM) *
I am thinking of starting up another group a Shadowrunners with my players, but in a different city/country. I’m wondering what cities/countries other people are playing in. And what do you like/dislike about those other cities/countries.

Kind of annoyed that I live in Boston, but there are almost no details on the city in the SR fluff or rules.

+Quote Post
venenum
post Aug 28 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,033

QUOTE (BRodda @ Aug 28 2008, 10:57 AM) *
Kind of annoyed that I live in Boston, but there are almost no details on the city in the SR fluff or rules.

Why would ou want to play in boston. Thats where the second crash happened so most likely its a ghost town.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Aug 28 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (venenum @ Aug 28 2008, 11:02 AM) *
Why would ou want to play in boston. Thats where the second crash happened so most likely its a ghost town.

I'm pretty sure that Boston fared no worse than any of the other major cities. Besides they rebuilt NYC, and the crash was nowhere near as bad as that (infrastructure wise). NEONet still has thier world HQ in Boston, so it can't be that bad.

Besides the ruins of an ex-major city with access to a major port would be a great place to set a campaign. I just need the time to flesh out the entire city and surrounding area and that will take close to a year.

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 28 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,962

We once tried a campaign in Omaha, our hometown, but just like in 2008(2003), Omaha is boring as crap in 2070(2056).

I was surprised (pleasantly) to see Hong Kong covered so in-depth in Runner Havens. Having been there (but never having been to Seattle) it struck me as an ideal place for this setting.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Aug 28 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

New York. Where most of us are from. we didn't bother with the whole 'pass' thing but beyond the great urban stuff there's water-lots of rivers andbays and with westchester county just to the north gives park like areas and woodlands,

Long island gives beaches, The meadowlands swamps and industrial crap.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Aug 28 2008, 04:21 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

QUOTE (BRodda @ Aug 28 2008, 11:57 AM) *

Bookwise, I'm to understand that Target: North America, Corporate Download and another book (can't remember which one, starts with Corporate also, IIRC) cover Boston to something resembling a degree.

Myself, I'm working on sketching out Boston. There is a *ton* of good fluff around here. We have a Dragon Children creche. We had a Universal Brotherhood chapterhouse (and again, IIRC, we also had a bug hive explosion on Bug Day, but apparently that was contained). Two Echo Mirage members lived here long enough to create home cyberdecks. Patient X (Emergence) went to school here. There's a lot of great stuff.

I'm a slow worker though, so I've only got scant notes at the moment. But I've got Whitey Bulger, his gang, a loose Mafia presence, Chinatown half submerged, a Boston Underground, a couple of fixers, a few hacker groups (and a technomancer guild) faction warfare in Salem, MA...Always interested to share.

And now that I'm writing a one-shot game in Hawaii, I want to run there...

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Aug 28 2008, 04:25 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I seem to remmeber osmeone did a write up on Boston but I can't remember if it was cannonical or Kage.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Aug 28 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Aug 28 2008, 11:25 AM) *
I seem to remmeber osmeone did a write up on Boston but I can't remember if it was cannonical or Kage.

I hope it wasn't the one that I found where they decided the Boston sprawl extended from the Harbor all the way to New York City.

I mean, Connecticut is bad enough...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 28 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Winnipeg is a nice border town now, and would have a lot of magical influences. (It does IRL right NOW).

Ottawa would be another border town great for Shadowrunners and Smugglers getting stuff to Quebec. Parlez Vous Francais, however, and don't even try a chip!

Vancouver would be a NAN version of Seattle. Only not surrounded by semi-hostile nations.

My group is currently loving LA. Although that might have something to do with extracting Goofy.

London, full of history and intrigue! And you still have paper money! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Berlin... Um... No. No pissing off the Golden Dragon.

The Caribean! Yeah Mon! There we are! Become a pirate!!!

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Aug 28 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 28 2008, 11:21 AM) *
Bookwise, I'm to understand that Target: North America, Corporate Download and another book (can't remember which one, starts with Corporate also, IIRC) cover Boston to something resembling a degree.

Myself, I'm working on sketching out Boston. There is a *ton* of good fluff around here. We have a Dragon Children creche. We had a Universal Brotherhood chapterhouse (and again, IIRC, we also had a bug hive explosion on Bug Day, but apparently that was contained). Two Echo Mirage members lived here long enough to create home cyberdecks. Patient X (Emergence) went to school here. There's a lot of great stuff.

I'm a slow worker though, so I've only got scant notes at the moment. But I've got Whitey Bulger, his gang, a loose Mafia presence, Chinatown half submerged, a Boston Underground, a couple of fixers, a few hacker groups (and a technomancer guild) faction warfare in Salem, MA...Always interested to share.

And now that I'm writing a one-shot game in Hawaii, I want to run there...

I'll have to see if I can find that Target: NA book. Also MIT&T is in Boston (Cambridge really, but who's counting).

And how is Whitey still around? He an elf or something?

So far I have Dorchester, Mattapan, Chelsea and Mission Hill as the Z-class areas. Southie, Arlington, Medford are B class. Everet, Malden East Boston and Somerville are C-class. Finacial District, Becon Hill, Brookline, Newton and Winchester as the A class areas. Natick is now a shopping archology. Salem is a huge industrial magic producing area; fetishes and talismans. The 495 tech belt is where all the corps are located; NEOnet and Ares being the 2 largest.

I need to start drilling down into the details more.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Aug 28 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (BRodda @ Aug 28 2008, 11:30 AM) *
I'll have to see if I can find that Target: NA book.

I would love to find it. As is, my list of "I'd love to have that!" SR books is way too long already. Know anyone selling off a lot of them? :D

Also MIT&T is in Boston (Cambridge really, but who's counting).

Cambridge is Boston is Cambridge, really. I see it as the hot young place to see and be seen, with a lot of backdoor stuff going on. Also the location of one of the two hacker groups (a bunch of anime otaku who hack on the side to pay for some of the more illegal stuff they like).

And how is Whitey still around? He an elf or something?

I was tempted to go the elf route, but thought better of it. I've got two theories for Whitey ("Pale Fatty" in my Shadowrun): one is that Whitey's legend grew until it was the name that was the most important thing, kind of like Dread Pirate Roberts in Princess Bride. The other is that a free spirit took the name and is running his criminal activities.

I was looking into the Whitey saga and found out that he got rid of a large amount of the Mafia presence in Boston back in the early 90s. I thought that that was a great idea. What remains of the Mafia now is holed up in the North End, conspiring and plotting but forever screwed by their own in-fighting. Southie is held by an elvish gang that swore fealty to Pale Fatty, and they wield a substantial amount of power in the Boston underworld. The rest of the criminal element comes from the Chinese Tongs that have set up in half-submerged Chinatown; go past the gate in Boston and you're on your own, as far as the police are concerned.

So far I have Dorchester, Mattapan and Mission Hill as the Z-class areas.

Sounds about right.

Finacial District, Beacon Hill

I'd probably bring the rating on Beacon Hill up. That's a high traffic zone with a lot of power floating in and about.

Natick is now a shopping archology.

That's a great idea. I think that the Downtown Crossing area should compete with them for customers.

Salem is a huge industrial magic producing area; fetishes and talismans.

You'd think they'd mention Salem more, since it's one of the biggest "magical" areas in the Fifth World. In what I'm writing, the Cabot coven is fighting with other covens in the area to establish themselves as the "official" official witches of Salem. Not a huge fan of the "We're witches! We're witches!" stuff from the Cabot clan, personally.

The 495 tech belt is where all the corps are located; NEOnet and Ares being the 2 largest.

Also Mangadyne. I've got an AI npc from there.

I need to start drilling down into the details more.

I'm a terribly lazy writer, but maybe we should collaborate? We've both got great ideas.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Aug 28 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Depending on where in the timeline you are (or how much you're willing to abuse the cannon timeline) Bug City in Chicago is made of awesome.

Also don't at all be afraid to add your personal touch. Especially if you're more familiar with a certain place than your players. For example I've spent some time in China. So I might consider doing that with the players. Thanks to lingasofts and free language skill ranks at chargen it's pretty easy to toss runners anywhere.

You could check the sixth world wiki for SR related changes to the area, and you may also get pointed to other books with more info.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Aug 28 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 28 2008, 11:46 AM) *
I was tempted to go the elf route, but thought better of it. I've got two theories for Whitey ("Pale Fatty" in my Shadowrun): one is that Whitey's legend grew until it was the name that was the most important thing, kind of like Dread Pirate Roberts in Princess Bride. The other is that a free spirit took the name and is running his criminal activities.

I'm a terribly lazy writer, but maybe we should collaborate? We've both got great ideas.

Considering that the Whitey is the Irish mob, I'd think that the elf angle is not a bad choice. Also think that there are probably a ton of Fomori in the Boston area and you can see where thier powerbase comes from; big magic resistant trolls. Helps to keep them rooted in the "I'll break your legs" type of gangster and help keep the Mafia influence down. They also probably control some of the only smuggling routes into and out of Ireland.

And sure if you want to team up send me a PM and I'll see what we can put together. Might make work a bit easier and get a netbook together.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Aug 28 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

QUOTE (Jimson @ Aug 28 2008, 11:26 AM) *

I have a bunch of places I'd love to GM or play in. A couple that immediately come to mind:

Denver
I'm currently running the SRM Denver arc for my group. Its got a different feel to it, kind of Wild West-ish, but with a good deal of high-tech. At least, that's how I'm portraying the outlying areas of the sprawl - the closer you get to the city center, the more urban it gets.

Kingdom of Hawai'i
I dunno, I've just had Hawai'i on the brain for a while now. It just seems like a really cool setting. I'm stockpiling NPCs and plot ideas just in case I ever get the chance to run a game there.

Pueblo Corporate Council
This could be really interesting, I think. You have a Corporation that's run king of like a country, rather than a corp, plus all the NAN influences. There's plenty of intrigue to go around and lots of opportunity to hop from city to city without crossing borders.

The Smugglers
I'm itching to do something set post-Crash 2.0, where the PCs are smugglers running supplies to isolated areas in the NAN and elsewhere. Have the PCs either own or lease a used GMC Banshee, sans guns. Inspired by the Firefly thread from a while back.

-paws

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 28 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 28 2008, 05:29 PM) *
Berlin... Um... No. No pissing off the Golden Dragon.

Don't worry, he's in Essen, Rhine-Ruhr-Sprawl. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Berlin (the full-gonzo SR1 version) is still my favourite setting.
We also used to play in Hamburg and the Rhine-Ruhr Sprawl to some extend (the latter without stepping on Loffie's toes).
And Bug City, of course, as well as a brief trip to Tenochtitlan.
Tir na nOg can be awesome, but also potentially deadly, if you don't really keep a low profile.

Hong Kong is amazing, i can recommend it to anyone.

Right now, I'm also playing in Jakkarta, Indonesia (which works out great, as the GM is half-Indonesian and adds tons of local colour to this vibrant, insanely overcrowded city) and am looking forward to my first-ever game in Seattle after one and a half decade of SR (yes, that happens).

Settings i would really love to try in the future include London (my favourite RL city), LA, Europort and, as far as the wackier and potentially deadly settings are concerned, space (especially Evo's Mars base), the SOX, Henan and...Asamando.

I'm also looking forward to the Lagos writeup in Ferral Cities.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Aug 28 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Oh man, Asamando. I would love to see some setting material for there.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 28 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Sudbury, Ontario. Close enough to the border with Quebec AND has the largest francophone population in Canada outside of Quebec IRL right now!

Also, chock full of metals, animals, and plantlife that are still just waiting to be mined the old fashioned way!

One of my stories revolves around this, BTW.

+Quote Post
Jimson
post Aug 28 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,364

I’m rather new to Shadowrun. I’ve been playing for a year or so, but only have a few sessions (10-20) under my belt. I have Runner’s Haven, downloaded the preview of Corporate Enclaves, and I’m seeing several cities posted that are not in these books. Do a lot of you make up your own content, or was a lot of it in SR3 sources? Berlin and London seem intriguing, where can I find more info on those?

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Aug 28 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (Jimson @ Aug 28 2008, 02:18 PM) *
I’m rather new to Shadowrun. I’ve been playing for a year or so, but only have a few sessions (10-20) under my belt. I have Runner’s Haven, downloaded the preview of Corporate Enclaves, and I’m seeing several cities posted that are not in these books. Do a lot of you make up your own content, or was a lot of it in SR3 sources? Berlin and London seem intriguing, where can I find more info on those?

Like I said, I'm writing my own setting. Berlin and London's most current writeup would be in Shadows of Europe, right?

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 28 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 28 2008, 08:20 PM) *
Like I said, I'm writing my own setting. Berlin and London's most current writeup would be in Shadows of Europe, right?

Right.
Though i'm expecting Berlin to be the next German sprawl to get an update now that there's a German license-holder again and everybody on their boards wants to see a new Berlin writeup (in spite of the fact that they all claim to hate the setting... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif) ), followed by the Rhine-Ruhr Sprawl.
There's also German-only sourcebooks on Munich and the SOX (a radiation zone on the border to France).
Don't know wether they will be translated for the American market, but Pegasus (the new publisher) will presumably try to put out some of its own material in English, as they do with the other major RPG they licensed, Call of Cthulhu.

For the other settings mentioned, most did get some coverage in older sourcebooks (as usual, i highly recommend Bug City, the old Chicago supplement).

The Jakkarta setting one of my current GMs is running seems to be mostly homegrown, there was a writeup in Shadows of Asia, but he seems to have expanded a lot on it and to have changed some stuff as well (as i would if i'd get to run the Rhein-Ruhr Sprawl again).

LA and Europort are in Corporate Enclaves, Lagos will be one of the main locations in Feral Cities as far as i've heard, together with a Chicago update.

Asamando (Western African ghoul nation), Henan (Magocracy in former China) and Mars did not get extensive writeups until now, but this could very well change, as they would fit future publications Awakened Haunts and another sourcebook on extreme environments such as space, underwater arcologies, Antarctica and so on (for all those, there's a SR3 sourcebook, Target : Wastelands, but i'd rather wait for the new stuff to come out in that case).

+Quote Post
JudgementLoaf
post Aug 28 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 15,945

My runners tend to hop around the globe like frogs on amphetamines. Goes with the job I guess. But ive run a few games in a couple neat places:

Kocki, Japan: Got some neat stuff here (again, im making up stuff as I go along, but the architectures is pretty sweet. Thank you Google earth.)

Seattle: The obvious starting point for just about anything.

Bismark: Wooooo. Smuggler haven?

Minneapolis: Had a huge debacle of a run here.

Africa: Yes, I have had runners take the grand tour of the nation. And its lightning bolt throwing residents. Its a good spot for shedim, with all the wars and countless civilian deaths.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:15 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.