Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Examples Needed
TimeKeeper
post Aug 29 2008, 05:36 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 149

Ok, so I'm a little new at this SR 4.0 thing and I need a little help.

I'm struggling with this and I really don't want to railroad my players.

The book is fine and all but I can't quite grasp the the mechanics. So I need some help. I need examples. Perferably similar to the italicized example in the book.

Here's what I'm looking for (make sure you document every modifier).

A simple combat exchange between two character, including armor soak.

Spell casting, including drain.

and just about every possible thing to do with cybercombat/hacking/technomancy, including PvP (non-IC) cybercombat.
Ok, not really. But stuff relating to technomancy would be very helpful. This is major thing as the whole wireless world is new to me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Aug 29 2008, 05:56 AM
Post #2

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

I'm going to start by pimping Aaron's cards, which can be found here. They are a simple resource to walk you through the step by step process of most actions.

After looking at that if you still need help, shoot me a note and I can write something up.

EDIT:
Or you can watch this exchange:
IC Actions (Beginning combat)
OOC Actions (You will see initiative, actions declared by pass and dice rolls)

+Quote Post
JudgementLoaf
post Aug 29 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 15,945

Those sheets are NICE. I think Ill start slinging them to any of my noob players.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Aug 29 2008, 06:13 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

oooh starting with a TM. That's going to hurt.

If you can just have a hacker it'll be easier. Have all their stuff at the same rating (5's are what they can have to start).

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Aug 29 2008, 07:24 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

OOOPS.... Double post.
See below.

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Aug 29 2008, 07:24 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Yeah, I mentioned that but the player's kinda... difficult. She always picks complicated character types and then expects others to tell her how they play/work. Considering that, for all intents and purposes, NONE of us know how SR 4.0 works, this is bad. But she also doesn't want to reroll so we're just going to have to go with it.

I already bullshitted my way through both Food Fight and SRM02-01 but for -02 I want to be ready.

For the record, she's not lazy, but she has a problem with ADD and reading. Hence why she needs others to help her out.

Those Sheets are PERFECT!!!! Thanks

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Aug 29 2008, 09:30 AM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Ok. The fast track to making TMs work.

CF selection:
- Analyse for not being blind, Armor for survival, and Attack for self-defense. Stealth for not being seen.
- You will want to keep the matrix stuff light, and that will make Exploit, Spoof, and Command VERY nice to have

Dice pools may seem low, but:
- Support Operation services are almost too good to be in the game.
- Threading is great, calculate how many hits she can buy on the fading test.

Tricks she can pull:
- Use Support Operation on Stealth and blast into a node via Exploit, or thread it and take the slow approach
- Aquire knowledge of a legitmate user ID (likely from the HR database) and Spoof orders to wireless devices
- Use Command Operation for any device action that requires a test in the meat world

You need:
- An understanding on the extend to which nodes are wireless (if it is remotely new, and legitimate users would like the option, it is wireless. Done.)
- The rules for Exploiting Access to a node (Requirements, dicepools from the top of your head or written down, basic understanding of User accounts)
- The rules for spoofing orders to a node (Requirements, dicepools from the top of your head or written down)
- The rules for Matrix Perception (basic understanding, plus the effects of being hidden, AKA running Stealth)
- Aarons matrix combat spread sheet (straight to "or written down". Sue me, the sheet is great.)

"Tricks" you can pull to speed it up:
- Notice that most matrix tests are auto-successes if given time, and that a TM can thread any program. Don´t bother too much.
- Notice that the matrix comes down to "intruder detection": opposed Exploit roll, opposed Spoof roll, Spider/IC perception rolls; matrix combat is a result of being detected (use the cheat sheet). Yes, she is supposed to be THAT good at stealth.
- Don´t try to make hacking nodes a problem. It mostly isn´t supposed to be. Keep it simple until you are comfortable using more special rules.

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Aug 30 2008, 04:39 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Thanks for the in depth analysis Ryu. And thanks to all of you for helping this dinosaur get back on track.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Aug 30 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #9

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Your welcome. I just created this writeup:

Running the Matrix 101

Matrix Perception (pg. 218 main book)
Computer + Analyse, in case of hidden personae/nodes opposed by Hacking/Firewall + Stealth.
One piece of information per (net) hit

Data Search (pg. 220 main book)
Extended Test, Data Search + Browse, threshold 2-16, search area determines base time: Device: one IP, Network: one turn, whole matrix: one minute
- reward specific search terms and search areas with better information
- rich, matrix savy opponents might monitor specific topics on the matrix
- assume hits are bought and don't bother rolling the dice, unless you want to check for glitches

Spoofing Orders (pg. 224 main book)
Hacking + Spoof against Pilot/System + Firewall.
The basic requirement is a legitimate user ID for the type of node in question.
- separate all on-site nodes into public/work-related/security
- separate larger facilities into different areas
- getting info on this (security concept and user IDs) should be part of legwork
- some user IDs can also be acquired from onsite employees

Node Hacking (pg. 221 main book)
Extended test, Hacking + Exploit vs. Firewall +0/+3/+6, one turn. System rolls Firewall+Analyse vs. Stealth, also an extended test unless the player increases the base time to one hour.
- Note that you can almost ensure detection on the second intruder detection test if you beef up Firewall and Analyse too much. Try running with analyse 1 and variable Firewall for starters.
- Other users or IC programs get a matrix perception roll to detect the hacker

Using a node
Information about the node: see Matrix Perception
Finding data: see Data Search
Editing data: Computer/Hacking + Edit, (pg. 219 main book)
Using a matrix function without associated program: Logic+Computer
Using a meat-world function: Relevant Skill + Command

Some semi-random spice
Encryption requires decryption on part of the attacker.
Response + Decryption vs. Encryption*2, extended test, 1 turn

Sniffer is used to detect wireless nodes - even if they are hidden (for hidden icons on the same node see matrix perception above).
Electronic Warfare + WiFi-Scan, threshold variable, 1 turn
Active/passive node: threshold 1+ depending on number of nodes present
Hidden node, location known: threshold 4
Hidden node, general search: threshold 15+

Certain data might be secured by a data bomb (find out with Matrix Perception)
Hacking + Exploit vs. Data Bomb*2, not an extended test. Very useful for plot protection.

See anything I should include for easy reference? (It is not intended to carry all matrix rules of course, and the page references are for the German book)

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Aug 31 2008, 05:19 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Surprisingly those are also the same page numbers for the english book as well.

they'll get their full use on tomorrow's run. thanks all.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.