Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Basic Matrix Rules, Building up to the full RAW in pixie steps
Ryu
post Sep 2 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #1

Awakened Asset

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,309

(Topic updated) (Content updated) (Community Projects Thread: here)

Situation: Lets assume most of your group does not really know the matrix rules. Shocking idea, I know. Now if you introduce all the rules you know at once (which is of course "all of them". Yeah, right.), they´ll go straight into information overload mode. Not nice. Hey, at least they got the part about comlink modes and augmented reality.

Solution: You pretend you don´t know much about the matrix either. No, not the NPC solution this time. You introduce a limited ruleset, rules-as-written from the get-go. Whatever a player wants to look up has to be in the book. Once they´ve gotten the basics down, you sneakily build up to "full Unwired".

Development: Happening right now, right here.

My personal take:

Including the rules for Matrix Perception and Data Search is a no-brainer. The basic ways of hacking (Spoof and Exploit) are also essential. Then one needs to be able to use all kinds of nodes, and to handle matrix combat (which I will happily leave to Aarons cheat sheets). The rules writeup below addresses unexperienced GMs (I keep telling myself that I´ll get to play occasionally).

Running the Matrix 101

Matrix Perception (pg. 218 main book)
Computer + Analyse, in case of hidden personae/nodes opposed by Hacking/Firewall + Stealth.
One piece of information per (net) hit
Uses: The most common use is against icons that have stealth running and are in hidden mode. Both metahuman opponents and autonomous programs may do so, because it provides a first-strike advantage in matrix combat. The second main use is determining node properties before a hacking attempt is conducted. Your main villian might have a surprisingly good ´link. The third is gaining specific matrixIDs for use with Spoof.

Data Search (pg. 220 main book)
Extended Test, Data Search + Browse, threshold 2-16, search area determines base time: Device: one IP, Network: one turn, whole matrix: one minute
- reward specific search terms and search areas with better information
- rich, matrix savy opponents might monitor specific topics on the matrix
- assume hits are bought and don't bother rolling the dice, unless you want to check for glitches
Uses: Think internet, but with a severe increase in available information. See the optional AR bonus you might gain for some actions by getting DIY-help from the matrix (memo to self: search reference)

Spoofing Orders (pg. 224 main book)
Hacking + Spoof against Pilot/System + Firewall.
The basic requirement is a legitimate user ID for the (type of) node in question.
You will have MANY nodes that might come up in game, so take it easy and have identical access rights across nodes. You just need user groups with different access rights:
- separate all on-site nodes into public/work-related/security measures, and larger facilities into different areas
- determine what kind of access to those nodes any user group would have
- if your players manage to spoof the order, they can do whatever the user in question would have been able to
Use: Making a device perform a simple order, one time only. Advantage: It ties someone elses matrixID to the crime, Disadvantage: There is a risk of detection each time an order is given. Your player might want to run Stealth.

Node Hacking (pg. 221 main book)
Extended test, Hacking + Exploit vs. Firewall +0/+3/+6, one turn. System rolls Firewall+Analyse vs. Stealth, also an extended test unless the player increases the base time to one hour.
- Note that you can almost ensure detection on the second intruder detection test if you beef up Firewall and Analyse too much. Try running with analyse 1 and variable Firewall for starters.
- Other users or IC programs get a matrix perception roll to detect the hacker
Use: Gaining access rights of a certain level (but not an account) to a matrix node. The disadvantage is a limit to the rating of nodes that a hacker can reliably beat without raising an alarm, which can only be circumvented with a massive increase in required time.

Using a node
Information about the node: see Matrix Perception
Finding data: see Data Search
Editing data: Computer/Hacking + Edit, (pg. 219 main book)
Using a matrix function without associated program: Logic+Computer
Using a meat-world function: Relevant Skill + Command

Some semi-random spice
A device that only has a unifieddevice rating will mostly roll 2*device rating on tests.

The Cluster rules of Unwired allow you to combine several devices into one matrix node. Within the simplification of this subset of the rules, you simply have one node that controls all functions of all devices, with the twist that the lowest Firewall and System are used, and that Response is averaged. Which does not require any calculation if all devices have the same device rating. Lower number of nodes = fewer matrix tests, less book-keeping.

Minimal investments into hacking enable your players to defeat rating 3 nodes. Step it up too quickly and they´ll abandon the attempt of learning the matrix rules. Remember: Success is mostly a given in other areas, too. Try to mention that a little bit of hacking and a better comlink are way cheaper than the common investment into hardware skill. Not to speak of the "secondary" uses of hacking.

Encryption requires decryption on part of the attacker.
Response + Decryption vs. Encryption*2, extended test, 1 turn

WiFi-Scan is used to detect wireless nodes - even if they are hidden (for hidden icons on the same node see matrix perception above).
Electronic Warfare + WiFi-Scan, threshold variable, 1 turn
Active/passive node: threshold 1+ depending on number of nodes present
Hidden node, location known: threshold 4
Hidden node, general search: threshold 15+

Certain data might be secured by a data bomb (find out with Matrix Perception)
Hacking + Defuse vs. Data Bomb*2, not an extended test. Can be used for plot protection.

Link to the first example

Now the second part is ensuring that no hacker is ever surprised by the program requirements of the reduced ruleset. So those should be explicit. Ruleswise, one set of Aarons Hacker Cards per player is the recommended minimum. Don´t ever forget them.

Software and you
Maximum Program rating (=System)(capped by Response): ___
If you have Unwired, the Optimisation program option can come into play here. Ignore for the time being if you don´t.

Advantage: Metahuman
You are not limited to a dicepool of 12 like any agents ultimately are. Your dicepools are modified:
- by the hot-SIM bonus of +2 (Survival tip: No hot-SIM without Biofeedback-filters)
- by qualities (ie codeslinger)
- by augmentations

Security Concerns
Firewall: Core requirement of a secure comlink
As high as you can get. You can get rating 6. `Nuff said. You are a runner, and while this may be a transhuman age, information is still king.
Stealth: Core requirement of a runner comlink, required to enter hidden mode
As high as you can get. See your program cap. You want to hide your matrix self on the run, and stealth does exactly that.
Encryption: Core requirement of privacy, even if Decryption is rather easy. Really easy. Like in "listening in on the guards"-easy. Just saying.
They might have an ear on the matrix, too. If you own Unwired, you want to run a tactical network. Any good guys hacking that one would get rather perfect targeting data, don´t you say?

Joe Average Utility
Analyse: You need it to get information about anything, and for some defensive rolls (against Spoof).
At that price/benefit ratio, take what you can get.
Browse: Free information on the matrix? Your connection charges told you all information comes at a price?
Any rating will do, the test interval is rather short.
Command: Used for controlling all kinds of real-world functions nodes might have, should they require a test.
Might or might not come up. It´s easy to justify rating 3.

Basic Hacking
Spoof: Look at the spoof mechanic. A device resists faked orders with a dp of twice it´s rating. You can beat that, and it doesn´t take time at all.
Seriously, the Hardware skill approach to opening a door is pretty obvious, and takes waaay longer than a simple action. The Hacking skill has better secondary uses, too.
Exploit: Also often easy, this can get dangerous fast if you are hacking on the fly.
Consider the price of all those hacker services, and that beating a device rating of 3 is ruleswise an easy challenge. If you earn enough, you still have to deal with any information leaks.
Things-went-bad-programs: Attack, Armor, Biofeedback-Filters. You DO have Analyse, you MIGHT have Blackout / Black Hammer.
Handling the matrix is about avoiding detection. If you failed at that, you´ll need to fight a retreating battle. Or win.

Hacker´s Little Helpers
WiFi-Scan: Can´t hack it if you can´t find it. Used to find hidden nodes, as Analyse only finds hidden users on a node.
Trace: Want to know where your target is? No problem, defense is almost impossible.
Decryption: Rating is not that important, but you need it to defeat encrypted nodes
Defuse: If someone set you up the (data) bomb, this is handy. Warning: This is not an extended test, but opposed by the Data Bomb rating*2. Maybe getting the password is safer?

Things that I intentionally left out, and why:
- Program loads don´t matter much. If the group starts to concern themselves with that, fine. But experienced matrix players will not suffer from program load often, so I´ll leave that out for the first few sessions.
- Subscriptions are much the same. Yes, the game can benefit greatly from considering those, but ignoring subscription limits will not hurt that much.
- Node usage, any kind of detail, because I want my players to learn the basics first. Noted for early expansion.
- Wireless Network Tech, because there is no common base in real-world knowledge for my group. One half of my player base would object, and that kind of attrition is too high. Noted for early expansion.

The above is what I think you need to run the matrix, but there are of course many concepts that this reduced set of rules just glosses over. Please post any advice you have for beginner GMs who want to introduce the matrix, or any questions you might have for your fellow GMs. (And please, keep any answers RAW).

Original Topic:
[ Spoiler ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deek
post Sep 2 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

I think you did a very solid job. I agree with ignoring program loads and subscription limits. We've never encountered much of anything having to deal with either, except for when I (the GM) ask my player what he has loaded. It really just slows everything down with barely any benefit.

I would suggest fleshing out two pieces:
1) matrix perception "information", and
2) Using a node

Even my experienced players sometimes falter with what to do with these successes. I often have to come up with a bunch of options, instead of my experienced hacker given me suggestions. So, for a newbie hacker, I'd think that after getting 5 net successes on a matrix perception test, they'd have little to no idea what to ask for, let alone, what would even be important.

Same goes with using a node...we have very little detail on all the functions of a node and it seems that every table has a different mindset...so giving you player some examples will certainly help their playing experience.

+Quote Post
xsansara
post Sep 2 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,112

Do you want them to NOT buy the programs you did not mention in char gen?

Because when you introduce new levels, players will have to buy the programs on the fly and they may feel cheated out of their money. Maybe it is nicer to have them buy everything first (for Hackers only of course). That also makes them more curious about the new stuff instead of of a "not again 5k down the drain" attitude.

Other than that I think it is a very good idea, almost like the Shadowrun 4 Quick Start Rules (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 2 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #4

Awakened Asset

A few examples for matrix perception are certainly in order, yes. Maybe spread around the other activities ("Before you try this, you want to know...")?

Explaining what you can do with a node within a few sentences. I see the need, but that one will be fun. Maybe a set of very different examples, in the hopes that it catches the imagination?

How about programs that are not used so far? Pretty good question, I´d like opinions (my own POV is based on an optional rule). My line of thinking is that buying something you don´t need is not fair, too, and that I can always pull a few tricks with my magic GM wand if money is an issue. The list of programs from the main book should be sufficient to know that there is more, and I tend to give a reference for that and call it done for the time being.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Sep 2 2008, 05:02 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Here's my advice on the matter. It's what I do in my game and I think it has worked great.

Sit down with your hacker (who may know absolutely nothing) and explain to them that you have their back. You're not out to hose them. You will give them relevant advice as needed and won't pull a "gotcha" such as letting them do something really stupid in the matrix that their character would know better than, such as not periodically changing their comcode.

(Note that this doesn't apply so much to script kiddy characters. They may really not know about a number of matrix pitfalls).

What you need to impress on your hacker is what they can do, and the practical choices they have to make, not every step required to do it.

So. What do they need to know? Well the OP list there isn't so bad really.

A quick rundown could be.

Hacking into something
-can either hack in slow as in hours (pretty safe) or fast as in seconds(risky), and you can go for an easy in with few permissions or work harder to get more permissions
-once inside you can search for or edit data, or make the device do anything it can do.
-many many things are wireless in this day and age. Though the data they have and what it can do may be limited. You might be able to hack the underwear on the guy next to you. But you may only be able to turn off his butt massager once you do. However often people have more useful things. For example you could perhaps turn on the mic on their comlink or watch through their wireless contacts.

You can evesdrop on others wireless communications, also communications in the matrix if you're in a node the data is going through.

You can jam others wireless signals

You can scan for, find, and triangulate other wireless signals

You can trace things in the matrix to, roughly, their location in the real world. Including finding the person calling you or talking to you in the matrix.

You can search for data in the matrix in general without hacking. What is out there is surprisingly extensive.

You can spoof other devices. Which means you pretend to be that devices controller without actually hacking in.

You can quickly put together things for your teamates, like mas that show them where they need to go and so on.

You can get a small bonus to a lot of stuff by using AR

If there is something you want to achieve let me know and I'll let know know if it can be done and how.

-------------------

General considerations

You can either make yourself and your comlink visible to everyone as you move around, which is required some places and considered polite, or you can hide, which makes it much hard to find your signal.

You can either operate in AR mode, cold sim, or hot sim. Hot sim makes you move the fastest(especially if you lack extra initiative passes in the meat world) and gives bonus dice, but makes you vulnerable to getting your brain fried.

Cold sim is faster than AR, doesn't give a dice bonus and makes you vulnerable to getting knocked out.

I think that's about what they need to know. From there they just need initiative to use it.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Sep 2 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Does anybody use my Hacker Cards? Do they help any?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 2 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

I´ve used them in the past, they are great. Completely forgot about them during the year or so I was running our game without considering individual software. Did I mention Unwired is great? Linky to Aaron II: here

I will rework my approach to incorporate them if I may?

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Sep 2 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Knock yourself out. They're there to be used.

I'm also planning cheat sheets for spoofing and hacking, plus a "study guide" to the Matrix chapter that explains the system plainly and in English, for what that's worth.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 2 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #9

Awakened Asset

Given the quality of your previous work, it does say that I will not invest much more effort into my approach.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Sep 2 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

QUOTE (Aaron @ Sep 2 2008, 02:52 PM) *
Does anybody use my Hacker Cards? Do they help any?

I printed and cut them out for one of my players. He says they've been of great assistance. Spoofing and hacking cheat sheets would be great! At least for me, anyway.

Thanks for starting this thread, Ryu. You get to go straight to Heaven. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mr Clock
post Sep 2 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,303

Question, though I'm not sure if I'm about to catch fire for asking...

What about adapting the Assensing rules for Matrix Perception?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 2 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #12

Awakened Asset

Thanks Wesley.

I´ll update the topic to include any beginner questions at this point.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 2 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #13

Awakened Asset

QUOTE (Mr Clock @ Sep 2 2008, 10:41 PM) *
Question, though I'm not sure if I'm about to catch fire for asking...

What about adapting the Assensing rules for Matrix Perception?

Fire is not my preferred elemental attack, no (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) . Joking aside, I´d really like for the thread to stay RAW.

You could try to grade the matrix information by difficulty for starters. Feel free to open up a thread if you want to pursue the idea.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Sep 3 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

Thanks for your efforts here, Ryu.
(And Aaron too, for those quick reference sheets.)

I'm currently dealing with a group that's somewhat new to SR4 and no one has any hacking electronics skills to speak of. Frankly, I think they're a little put off by the matrix rules. Hopefully this will help make it a bit more... digestible. I doubt they'll ever have a hacker or TM, but maybe they'll buy an agent or at least get used to using basic matrix functions.
(To their credit, they've started running Encryption on their team communications and a couple of them use Browse and Analyze regularly.)

For the moment they've been leaning on a hacker contact who, unfortunately for them, is heavily in debt to the mob, so he's been charging higher and high prices for his services.
(I'm not out to screw the team or push them to hard to get more matrix savvy, I'm just bringing what he's charging in line with the prices form Unwired. And in a SRM Denver campaign, those prices hurt the wallet pretty badly.)

Anyway, thanks again!
-paws

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Sep 3 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Two questions (and I'm sure there will be more):

1. Is it possible to run a Data Search without a Browse program? Say from a public terminal? If yes, what is the dice pool? I know we touched on this in another thread but I believe some of the starter archetypes in the 4th ed. BBB had Data Search as a skill listing but no programs under Gear/Software.
2. Following a datatrail: Say, a hacker wants to pursue another hacker (who isn't spoofing his trail) through the Matrix. How does that work? Dice pools?

+Quote Post
Blade
post Sep 3 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

1. First of all, remember that according to Unwired, characters with at least a medium lifestyle have access to a free Browse program (I'm not sure but that might also apply to low lifestyles). I don't remember the rating, though. Also consider that there are other ways than browsing the Matrix to do a Datasearch. For example you might go to a physical library and search the books (let's say you're old fashioned, or you're looking for something that should be in books that haven't been uploaded). This will also use the Datasearch skill but not the Browse program, since it won't be a Matrix action.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Sep 3 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

I'd say a public terminal would have a browse program. Much like they have a browser today. Probably have the rating of the program at the rating of the terminal.

+Quote Post
Coldhand Jake
post Sep 3 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,304

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Sep 3 2008, 08:56 AM) *
I'd say a public terminal would have a browse program. Much like they have a browser today. Probably have the rating of the program at the rating of the terminal.

I would be very inclined to agree with this. I would actually expect the majority of the Common Use programs to be anticipated in many places...but even if we argue that, Browse -certainly-.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Sep 3 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

So what would be the Browse program rating at a public terminal? The Hardware and OS stats for public terminals are listed in Unwired.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Sep 3 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Sep 3 2008, 10:37 AM) *
So what would be the Browse program rating at a public terminal? The Hardware and OS stats for public terminals are listed in Unwired.

Well, the default for average quality devices is Rating 3, right? Older data terminals might have a 2. The brand new one at the ultra-shiny, hipster mega-mall might have a 4. Cost is .5 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) per minute of use (per the BBB).

-paws
PS That's just an off the cuff call, mind you.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 3 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #21

Awakened Asset

QUOTE (paws2sky @ Sep 3 2008, 03:08 PM) *
I'm currently dealing with a group that's somewhat new to SR4 and no one has any hacking electronics skills to speak of. Frankly, I think they're a little put off by the matrix rules. Hopefully this will help make it a bit more... digestible. I doubt they'll ever have a hacker or TM, but maybe they'll buy an agent or at least get used to using basic matrix functions.
(To their credit, they've started running Encryption on their team communications and a couple of them use Browse and Analyze regularly.)

For the moment they've been leaning on a hacker contact who, unfortunately for them, is heavily in debt to the mob, so he's been charging higher and high prices for his services.
(I'm not out to screw the team or push them to hard to get more matrix savvy, I'm just bringing what he's charging in line with the prices form Unwired. And in a SRM Denver campaign, those prices hurt the wallet pretty badly.)

Anyway, thanks again!
-paws

Provide some easy incentives by telling them of the spoof mechanic. The thing is, a rating 3 maglock will try to defend against spoofing with 6 dice. So any player with Hacking 1 (Spoof +2), and a spoof program of rating of 5 can usually make a door open if the group ever got to look at one guard matrix ID. That´s just 6 karma and a few hundred nuyen for an exiting shadow purchase...

On the browse rating: For simplicities sake, assume that all needed software is provided at the rating of system (=device rating). Public Terminals should at least come with Analyse, Encryption, Browse, and Edit. Per Unwired, public terminals have a system rating of 2. Better areas of town really expect everyone to have a comlink.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Sep 3 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Ryu @ Sep 3 2008, 03:06 PM) *
The thing is, a rating 3 maglock will try to defend against spoofing with 6 dice.

Dumb question. Where do the other three dice come from in that pool? Three for the Rating 3 maglock and three from...?

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Sep 3 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Sep 3 2008, 03:12 PM) *
Dumb question. Where do the other three dice come from in that pool? Three for the Rating 3 maglock and three from...?

DP = Rating * 2, iirc.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 3 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #24

Awakened Asset

QUOTE (paws2sky @ Sep 3 2008, 09:24 PM) *
DP = Rating * 2, iirc.

Yes, that´s a shortcut worth mentioning. Wherever the base mechanic of attribute + skill pulled through, an unimportant device (=no individual ratings) will roll 2*device rating.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 5 2008, 08:29 AM
Post #25

Awakened Asset

Update for Hacker cards, first attempt: done.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.