IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Miniatures - no, not the old ones, Sharing findings, usages, of various miniatures for Shadowrun
Remjin
post Sep 8 2008, 03:01 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,279

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to the boards, though not the game, though it has been a few years. I was looking at some of my stuff when I remembered the old Ral Partha miniatures for Shadowrun, and a friend and I discussed how much we hated them even then. Obviously, there haven't been any lately besides the action figures if you want to count those (which were neat, if a bit large).

I'm kind of a miniatures nut, and while I've found a few things, I've mostly had to convert or resculpt various figures to get anything close to what I wanted. While I may post these in the future if I ever get around to finishing one (funny how one little change turns into a whole other project), but I was wondering if anyone had any information on some good base-line stuff or even complete miniatures.

Thus far, I've found a few that I liked and have used, so I'll post the links here...

1. Infinity for very high tech stuff and some characters.
  2. Hasslefree for basic modern miniatures and others that make great beginnings to sculpt onto.
  3. Heresy has a small sci-fi line
  4. Reaper Miniatures for various, but very interested in the new Chronoscope line.
  5. Urban Mammoth has a lot of neat stuff in various factions.
  6. Copplestone Castings has a lot of different stuff to offer
  7. Black Scorpion has cowboys, modern, pirates, and various others.
  8. Wyrd Miniatures has some really wacky and cool stuff!
  9. Pulp City is very new, but has some serious promise, and has some interesting pieces.

This is all I've found for the most part besides various armatures and a few places that have 1 or 2 pieces (Freebooter, Lance and Laser, etc.) that I could use... anyone come across anything better or even want to just talk miniatures for Shadowrun in general?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Sep 8 2008, 03:08 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

Horrorclix, a number of Mage Knight, and that new game, Rezolution, have a number of things that work good for SR, as well as GW's Necromunda game.

+Quote Post
Remjin
post Sep 8 2008, 03:29 AM
Post #3

Target

QUOTE (Cardul @ Sep 7 2008, 09:08 PM) *
Horrorclix, a number of Mage Knight, and that new game, Rezolution, have a number of things that work good for SR, as well as GW's Necromunda game.

I can't say I like any of the clix stuff. Some if it is passable, but meh... Rezolution was a good one, bookmarked that one. I'd seen them a while back but lost track of it. Thanks!

ah, Necromunda... still using weapon sprues from that game... =)

+Quote Post
MaineShadowrunCo...
post Sep 8 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 11,664

I use rebased(to 25mm) Heroclix figs for Shadowrun.Most Heroclix figs are dirt cheap(under $1 some as low as $0.25),they have a huge varity of figs male and female,about 1 in 5 poses has a firearm or weapon and Heroclix weigh about 1/10th or less as much as metal figs and won't bend or break in normal use.
I have about 125 different heroclix I use for shadowrun ,the only real drawback is a lack of dwarf and troll type/size figures.

+Quote Post
Roadspike
post Sep 8 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 389

Oh, there are definitely Troll sized figures (Dreadnought, or some of the Giant figures), and Puck makes a great little Dwarf Physad. But the ever-present spandex is usually a turn-off for me. Most of the Punishers and Fantomex make great human shadowrunners though.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Sep 8 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

Has anyone attempted to repaint Hero Clix or plastic Star Wars/D&D/whatever minis into actual Shadowrun figures? Love to see pics if you have.

+Quote Post
Remjin
post Sep 8 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #7

Target

I've tried repainting Clix before... and that's why I don't like them. They flex quite a bit, at least the ones I had, which can be good for durability but not so much for detail retention or looking good. The lack of details bugs me, and the various deformities bother me to no end. Its just a low quality plastic.

Thing is, they make great stand-ins and the variety of them makes them useful for mooks and others, so my group does have a large amount of them.

Shoot, I should just get around to finishing some of these miniatures... *sigh*

+Quote Post
Xd12c
post Nov 17 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 16,549

[thread ressurection] I'm a mini nut myself and have been looking for some minis I can use. I haven't found a whole heck of a lot, but I noticed no one mentioned http://www.nobleknight.com

Also, how are you painting the heroclix minis? I painted a platic BT mini and had decent results. And I've seen sharpies used to good effect on an old D&D mini.

+Quote Post
evilgoattea
post Nov 17 2008, 03:05 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,794

If you don't mind pre painted plastic give AT-43 a look at, its a Rackham game.

-Josh

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Nov 17 2008, 03:22 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

Fantasy Flight Games also makes an alternate reality post-WW2 game called Tanhaussen that has some interesting (prepainted) minis and map tiles.

+Quote Post
Remjin
post Nov 17 2008, 05:28 AM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (Xd12c @ Nov 16 2008, 08:48 PM) *
[thread ressurection] I'm a mini nut myself and have been looking for some minis I can use. I haven't found a whole heck of a lot, but I noticed no one mentioned http://www.nobleknight.com

Also, how are you painting the heroclix minis? I painted a platic BT mini and had decent results. And I've seen sharpies used to good effect on an old D&D mini.

QUOTE (Cabral @ Nov 16 2008, 09:22 PM) *
Fantasy Flight Games also makes an alternate reality post-WW2 game called Tanhaussen that has some interesting (prepainted) minis and map tiles.

That's because Nobleknight is a retailer that has a lot of stuff, not a manufacturer, so a bit redundant... so I didn't mention that.

How did I paint them? I attempted to unflash them (ugh), primed them, and repainted them entirely. The deformities in the cast drove me nuts and I wasn't going to re-sculpt it. It kind of makes the point of using them moot. The Sharpies thing makes me cringe, though, but if it works.. hey, what the heck.

The Tanhaussen miniatures are too big... way out of scale. Probably 50mm or something if I remember them right.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Nov 17 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

QUOTE (Remjin @ Nov 17 2008, 01:28 AM) *
The Tanhaussen miniatures are too big... way out of scale. Probably 50mm or something if I remember them right.

They might be. I'm not sure. I use a range of scales anyway since manufacturers don't follow a set scale. There's one mini in the boardgame that makes a nice cyberzombie if you happen to have it or think you'll like it.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Nov 17 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,383

A good range to say the least. I am browsing through them but have not quite found what I am looking for.

Im looking for an oriental male who is carrying a sword (or can be converted by removing a single handed gun or suchlike).

If anyone comes across such a miniature, could you please inform me?

Thanks

+Quote Post
TeaTime
post Nov 17 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,819

Foundry's "Street Violence" line is very appropriate for Shadowrun (And if you're interested in some of the SWAT guys, drop me a line- I've got some blisters for sale or trade).

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/SV/index.asp

+Quote Post
Remjin
post Nov 17 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #15

Target

QUOTE (Mystweaver @ Nov 17 2008, 07:16 AM) *
A good range to say the least. I am browsing through them but have not quite found what I am looking for.

Im looking for an oriental male who is carrying a sword (or can be converted by removing a single handed gun or suchlike).

If anyone comes across such a miniature, could you please inform me?

How oriental do you want him to look? A couple of slashes with a file will help make a lot of miniatures look asian, or the proper paint. Otherwise, for a site with a LOT of miniatures, try Fantization , I buy a lot of miniatures from them. If you want the traditional samurai look, there's a lot of options as almost every major company makes one, but if you're looking for a more modern version or something easily transferable to such, Boris looks pretty good for SR, and the pistol is already there, and sounding russian, he has asiatic features anyway. =) I just realized you're asking for a guy with a sword, not one to be converted to pistols.. haha... sorry.

I don't have time to search around too much at the moment, but go to Fantization and try Reaper Warlord (they're a tad bigger) or just try Reaper Miniatures directly. There's a great Infinity miniature, http://www.fantization.com/index.asp?PageA...mp;ProdID=10438 that isn't holding it, but has the pair scabbarded while in armor, or This guy that only has a mask you may need to contend with... or Miyamoto Musashi re-interpreted. =) I like that one a lot.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Nov 18 2008, 01:47 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Remjin @ Nov 17 2008, 10:58 PM) *
How oriental do you want him to look? A couple of slashes with a file will help make a lot of miniatures look asian, or the proper paint. Otherwise, for a site with a LOT of miniatures, try Fantization , I buy a lot of miniatures from them. If you want the traditional samurai look, there's a lot of options as almost every major company makes one, but if you're looking for a more modern version or something easily transferable to such, Boris looks pretty good for SR, and the pistol is already there, and sounding russian, he has asiatic features anyway. =) I just realized you're asking for a guy with a sword, not one to be converted to pistols.. haha... sorry.

I don't have time to search around too much at the moment, but go to Fantization and try Reaper Warlord (they're a tad bigger) or just try Reaper Miniatures directly. There's a great Infinity miniature, http://www.fantization.com/index.asp?PageA...mp;ProdID=10438 that isn't holding it, but has the pair scabbarded while in armor, or This guy that only has a mask you may need to contend with... or Miyamoto Musashi re-interpreted. =) I like that one a lot.

Never thought of slashing the face up. Makes sense.
He is an adept that walks about in a suit with his katana concealed in a walking cane. So it doesn't even need to be a sword!

Ill have a look at those ranges. Thanks for the advice.

+Quote Post
Remjin
post Nov 18 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #17

Target

QUOTE (Mystweaver @ Nov 18 2008, 07:47 AM) *
Never thought of slashing the face up. Makes sense.
He is an adept that walks about in a suit with his katana concealed in a walking cane. So it doesn't even need to be a sword!

Ill have a look at those ranges. Thanks for the advice.

Okay, then I have a couple suggestions beyond those from before... Gentleman from Pulp City might work, or Jack the Ripper with a bit of a different look, or Daniel Sterling though his pose isn't too conducive to a sword cane. Dr. Masterson has the suit and the look, might even convert well, and Doctor Hu is also interesting, though probably not what you're looking for.

Most likely Gentleman above is your best bet between pose and miniature looks, and having seen these miniatures up close, they are pretty nice. =)

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Nov 20 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Remjin @ Nov 18 2008, 11:14 PM) *
Okay, then I have a couple suggestions beyond those from before... Gentleman from Pulp City might work, or Jack the Ripper with a bit of a different look, or Daniel Sterling though his pose isn't too conducive to a sword cane. Dr. Masterson has the suit and the look, might even convert well, and Doctor Hu is also interesting, though probably not what you're looking for.

Most likely Gentleman above is your best bet between pose and miniature looks, and having seen these miniatures up close, they are pretty nice. =)

Definately gonna get the Gentleman one with the two pistols. Perfect for sword cane and an off hand conversion. Didn't much like the others except Dr. Masterson & Hugh which I had already bought (and received in the post) inbetween reading this thread.

Thanks for having a look around for me. Much appreciated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Also got the giant spider and scorpion from heresy mini's and I've gotta say, they are absolutely awesome mini's (The spider inc. legs is at least 7cm in diameter) and you can pose it to look quite fierce. I did the base spray of black last night and showed it to my mum. She jumped out of her skin... then she realised it was a mini and then was just fascinated by its detail.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Nov 20 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Remjin @ Nov 18 2008, 11:14 PM) *

Definately gonna get the Gentleman one with the two pistols. Perfect for sword cane and an off hand conversion. Didn't much like the others except Dr. Masterson & Hugh which I had already bought (and received in the post) inbetween reading this thread.

Thanks for having a look around for me. Much appreciated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Also got the giant spider and scorpion from heresy mini's and I've gotta say, they are absolutely awesome mini's (The spider inc. legs is at least 7cm in diameter) and you can pose it to look quite fierce. I did the base spray of black last night and showed it to my mum. She jumped out of her skin... then she realised it was a mini and then was just fascinated by its detail.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 20 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #20

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Spinespur, from Comfy Chair Games, has some pretty...unique...urban models. Some would work fine for generic gangers and various other Barrens inhabitants. Some are a little more colorful.

+Quote Post
Remjin
post Nov 21 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #21

Target

QUOTE (Mystweaver @ Nov 20 2008, 05:14 AM) *

Awesome, glad you found something you could use. Sounds like you picked up a bunch of neat miniatures. =) Personally, I'm going through Copplestone Castings miniatures right now so I can have men in black, agents, bikers, corporate babes with guns, etc. =) Good times for a GM who likes miniatures.

QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 20 2008, 05:31 AM) *
Spinespur, from Comfy Chair Games, has some pretty...unique...urban models. Some would work fine for generic gangers and various other Barrens inhabitants. Some are a little more colorful.

Some odd stuff in there. Awesome. I bookmarked it to go through it more closely. Always good to see more miniatures!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.