Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pet peeve/Favorite thing
sunnyside
post Sep 9 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,502

I'm curious about pet peeves. As it gives a laundry list of what to watch out for in SR4. Favorite things is more for fun and keeping the thread from going so negative it generates a background count.

Pet Peeve: Movement Power. One little thing, so much annoyance,

Favorit thing: Matrix went wireless.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 9 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

Pet Peeve: Adepts specialized in combat being routinely trumped by Street Sams. The Adept can do more, go faster OR take more damage but never two of the three or all three.

Favorite Thing: The organization of the splat books so I always know which book to find a type of item in. [Weapons in Arsenal, Drugs in Augmentation, etc.]

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 9 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

peeve: (imroved)Invisibility[if i am invisible, and i pick up a pen and put it into my pocket, will the pen be invisible too?
favourite: cyberlimbs in SR4 finally are worth a consideration!

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 9 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 948

Pet Peeve:

Invisibility
Illusion spells should fool the mind, not the eye. Regardless of visual mods or technological whatnots if the spell convinces you that im not there then im NOT there. Same goes for cameras regarding improved invisibility.

Basically - Invisibility is too simple to foil.

Physical Combat Spells
Why are the spells that are A:Noticable B:Obvious C:Easier To Resist - So bloody heavy on drain?

Let see...

I throw my low-drain invisible death beam at someone and he rolls 1-6D6 resistance and i roll around 12D6...
Or i can get headache from casting a beam of fire that sets the poor sap alight AND he gets to dodge AND resist...

Guess which i'd choose?

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Sep 9 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

Favorite Thing: The wireless Matrix concepts and the possibilities they offer.

Pet Peeve: The wireless Matrix mechanics and the possiblities they fail to deliver on.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 9 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 948

Pet Peeve:

Wireless matrix - Quick hacking rules for combat (Like a combined simple roll for spoofing something without X amounts of tests to find persona etc etc)

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 9 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

Pet Peeve - Technomancers are magic.

Favorite Thing - The Matrix is easily playable now, and the magic system is nice and coherent for the first time since Awakenings.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Sep 9 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

Pet Peeve: full on sex change operation with cloned fertile eggs is not possible

Favorite thing: Wireless matrix is not only there, but playable.

+Quote Post
Nigel
post Sep 9 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,932

Pet Peeve: Physical/Martial adepts being so terrible compared to cybered-up street sams.

Favorite Thing: Social combat. It's wonderful!

+Quote Post
TKDNinjaInBlack
post Sep 9 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,329

Pet Peeve: focusing on the rules and complaining instead of suspending belief and enjoying RPing.

Favorite: The world and setting. For the first time I found a game where magic is explained and has a reason for being there along with my sci-fi.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Sep 9 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

Favorite Thing: BBB Magic section. Layout is great. Yay for streamlined/unified magic rules! Except for a few minor things, which don't really merit mention, I have no issues with this part of the rules.

Pet Peeve: So many...
  • Lack of examples in the BBB and other core books. One of the great things about prior editions was the copious number of examples.
  • Layout of the BBB Matrix section. I don't mind the RAW, but the layout drives me completely batshit crazy because everything is spread out over the entire chapter. Prior editions of SR weren't any better, really, but damn.
  • Sprites. TMs are too dependent on them, IMO. I'd love to make a TM that specializes in CFs, but I feel like it'd be about as useful as a Street Samurai who specialized in, say, hold-out pistols over all other weapons. Good now and again, but mostly kind of dumb.
  • Adept Improved Attribute power. This one merits mention. Its just too damn expensive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead.gif)
  • Traditions in Street Magic are kind of blah.
  • No Augmented Mage or Burned-Out Mage equivalent archetype character. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

And despite all those pet peeves, I still like this edition.

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Sep 9 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

Favourite Things
  • Technomancers are really nice done and Unwired just expands them logically
  • Magic A is not Magic A but the Rules are the same
  • I actually can follow the sequences of combat
  • Many "can" but less "must"

Pet Peeves
  • Technomancers depend on Sprites, are either underpowered or overpowered and generally lack some of the flair Otaku had
  • Traditions too similar ruleswise, wished for some kind of "workshop"
  • 5 years?!
  • Presenting AIs and Technomancers to the Public, oh the missing opportunities...
  • German Translation

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Sep 9 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,962

Pet Peeve: Technomancers are copypasta Mages.

Favorite Thing: Matrix 2.0 or "Holy crap, you mean we can transmit information through the AIR?!"

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Sep 9 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

Pet Peeve: The Matrix chapter - It's poorly laid out, lacks examples and gets really confusing without a knowledgeable translator.

Favorite Thing: Streamlined rules, easier combat resolution and... jeepers, the hacker can actually run along with the rest the team instead of sitting in his mom's basement, eating Cheetos, and whining on the Matrix about how the new Neil the Ork Barbarian series doesn't fit his vision of how the show should be.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 9 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #15

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Pet Peeve: The matrix chapter. I´m really curious about the origin of its structure.

Favourite Thing: The variety of playable power levels, even within one group. What do you want to be today?

+Quote Post
Kurious
post Sep 10 2008, 01:31 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,312

Favorite thing:

The well formed world: complete with logical fantasy injection to an otherwise sci-fi genre, a good interpretation of 'the world to come' (also, a nice tie-in with the world long past) and the general and uniform mechanics under a 'point buy' skill based system.

Pet peeve:

I haven't been playing long enough to notice a lot of nuances in the game and system; but it does annoy me that something as simple as 'braking' was neglected in the book.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Sep 10 2008, 04:29 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

A couple people complained about the adepts now not having the same combat capabilities as a sammy.

But think about it and decide if that's really a problem. Personally I like that the two have different playstyles now. Sammy can bring the straight up combat prowres, but the adept can d all sorts of special stuff Sammies simply cannot do.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Sep 10 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Sep 9 2008, 11:29 PM) *
A couple people complained about the adepts now not having the same combat capabilities as a sammy.

But think about it and decide if that's really a problem. Personally I like that the two have different playstyles now. Sammy can bring the straight up combat prowres, but the adept can d all sorts of special stuff Sammies simply cannot do.

There aren't that many things that adepts can really do in the way of combat - period. Sure, they can have an unarmed combat skill of 10 and lethal damage with fists...but a sammy can do the same thing with strength and spurs without giving up as much versatility.

The only real advantage is that an adept is discreet. Even relatively low-profile cyber - say, muscle augmentation - can be seen in unusual body structure or movement patterns. An adept just looks like anyone else...until he doesn't.

+Quote Post
TKDNinjaInBlack
post Sep 10 2008, 06:12 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,329

and that's exactly why my ninja adept is going to kick ass.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Sep 10 2008, 06:25 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Sep 9 2008, 09:53 PM) *
The only real advantage is that an adept is discreet. Even relatively low-profile cyber - say, muscle augmentation - can be seen in unusual body structure or movement patterns. An adept just looks like anyone else...until he doesn't.

Actually, being an Adept is not as discrete as bio/genetic augmentation. While the perceiver will not necessarily know what the Adept's capabilities are, it is significantly easier to identify them as an Adept (requiring an Assessing test) that to identify a bio-augmented individual (requiring a medicine test taking minimum of 30 minutes, see p.125, Augmentation).

+Quote Post
Platinum Dragon
post Sep 10 2008, 06:52 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,176

Hmm...

Pet peeve: Adepts are either for kicking people in the face or talking at them. A more diverse range of Adept powers (Gun Kata!) would be well recieved.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 10 2008, 07:10 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Peeves: Really hate the new dice mechanic. The old one had its flaws, but at least it was fun and versatile (especially from a GM/design point of view). You had at least three different ways to adjust the difficulty of an action. The impact it has on the new rules are wide-spread and, now that I think about it, are the core for most of my other peeves, too.

Favorites: The new cyberlimb rules are greatly appreciated even if others don't care for them (I always preferred to use them for utilitarian purposes rather than OMFG I KILL JOO uses). Really dig cyberware suites, too, and wish they were more widespread in the rules. I also appreciate the idea behind allowing more things to be customized and personalized even if just in fluff (armor being a good example).

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Sep 10 2008, 07:48 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

QUOTE (Platinum Dragon @ Sep 10 2008, 01:52 AM) *
Pet peeve: Adepts are either for kicking people in the face or talking at them. A more diverse range of Adept powers (Gun Kata!) would be well recieved.

Who needs guns when my Thrown Weapons adept can throw a paper clip 60 meters for 6P damage, a rock 72 meters for 8P damage, a ball 120 meters for 7P damage, and an aerodynamic grenade 180 meters.

That along with 3 IPs, Killing Hands, and Facial Sculpt.

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Sep 10 2008, 07:55 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

You can punch doing elemental sonic damage, which ignores armor. Sammies can't really do that. Anyways....

Peeves: Loosey goosey rules. I would really like a tighter rule set and better examples of what can and cannot be done with certain spells/mods/whatever. At least two or three times a session we generally get into a rules debate because of the fact that things are not clearly defined enough. It is annoying to look into pretty much all of the books for guidance on a specific problem only to find out that there is nothing that can help our situation.

The matrix - I still think it is made of icky

Favorites: I love the setting and the history. I like that using dice is generally a straightforward skill + stat + mods.

+Quote Post
Platinum Dragon
post Sep 10 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,176

QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Sep 10 2008, 05:48 PM) *
Who needs guns when my Thrown Weapons adept can throw a paper clip 60 meters for 6P damage, a rock 72 meters for 8P damage, a ball 120 meters for 7P damage, and an aerodynamic grenade 180 meters.

That along with 3 IPs, Killing Hands, and Facial Sculpt.

Because maybe I'd like my gunslinger adept to have cool things like throw anything or elemental strike or facial sculpt? Or let my hacker adept have something more interesting to take than 'Improved Ability: Hacking.'

I'd just like to see more diverse breeds of adept than 'melee Adept,' 'throwing Adept' and 'face Adept.'

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.