Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calydonian Boar, awakened pig, Yet anouther critter for my netbook
BRodda
post Sep 9 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,811

Another classical critter. This one is from Greek myth again; I'm figuring that a lot of these myths are based on holdovers or legends from the 4th world that made it into the 5th world. For the record Atlanta was the huntress that wounded the creature.

*EDIT* In the topic I called it Awakened, but this is more a paracritter than an awakened version of a normal pig.

Calydonian Boar AKA Atlanta Boar
Attributes:
Body: 6
Agility: 3
Reaction: 4
Strength: 6
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 2
Logic: 2
Willpower: 4
Edge: 2
Init: 7
IP:1

Movement: 15/50
Skills: Dodge 2, Perception 3, Unarmed combat 6
Powers: Hardened Armor 5, Natural Weapon (Tusks: DV6I, AP-1), Fear
Weaknesses: None

Notes: The Calydonian Boar is a massive boar (2 meters at the shoulder and 4 meters from tip of snout to tip of tail) with a craggy hide that is impervious to most weapons. The boar is highly aggressive and territorial and will attack anything that it perceives as a threat without hesitation.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Sep 9 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

Good idea...

It should probably have a magic rating and dual-nature (as all paracritters seem to (devil rats and wendigos seem to be the only exceptions, and are probably typos)

Dodge isn't particularly important - it's only going to apply on a full dodge anyway.

Hardened armor 5 isn't enough to stop a handgun or a decently weilded knife (let alone a troll-bow.)

I'd could easily see giving it something like the berzerk adept power (SM 175) and/or concealment (self) and probably the iron stomach adept power too.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Sep 10 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Sep 9 2008, 03:09 PM) *
Good idea...

It should probably have a magic rating and dual-nature (as all paracritters seem to (devil rats and wendigos seem to be the only exceptions, and are probably typos)

Dodge isn't particularly important - it's only going to apply on a full dodge anyway.

Hardened armor 5 isn't enough to stop a handgun or a decently weilded knife (let alone a troll-bow.)

I'd could easily see giving it something like the berzerk adept power (SM 175) and/or concealment (self) and probably the iron stomach adept power too.

I started off with hardened armor 6 until I realized dragons only have it at 8. Not quite in the dragon category. I will say that Iron Gut and some sort of berserk might help.

As for dual natured, I think that is done to death. The assumption seems to be that if the awakening caused these critters to come back that they must be magical. Considering not all trolls, elves or dwarfs are magically active I don't think all critters should be dual natured.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Sep 10 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Don't overlook that dragons are going to have actively used magic on top of their raw stats...

For example, the only time I've seen Ghostwalker partially statted (in Missions):
[ Spoiler ]

I think SR4 went with the all-dual-natured for more of a standardized feel, just as they unified hermetics with shamans, and got rigging & hacking closer to the standard rules. That way a power is "cast" at force or magic, or possibly 2x force/magic.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Sep 10 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Sep 10 2008, 02:45 PM) *
Don't overlook that dragons are going to have actively used magic on top of their raw stats...

For example, the only time I've seen Ghostwalker partially statted (in Missions):
[ Spoiler ]

I think SR4 went with the all-dual-natured for more of a standardized feel, just as they unified hermetics with shamans, and got rigging & hacking closer to the standard rules. That way a power is "cast" at force or magic, or possibly 2x force/magic.

Good point about the "casting" of a power. I'll have to revist that during editing. I do want a unified feel and I want mechanics to be streamlined.

Maybe I'll think about bumping the armor back up to 6. Make things a little more intresting. Not trying to make a combat monster, but this boar might need some tweaking. Thanks for the input.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Sep 10 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Heh - give it a magic rating of 3, hardened armor at 2x magic, and have the runners track it into a complementary background count.

That could be...amusing.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Sep 10 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Sep 10 2008, 03:53 PM) *
Heh - give it a magic rating of 3, hardened armor at 2x magic, and have the runners track it into a complementary background count.

That could be...amusing.

That might be a little complex. I think I do the following.

Calydonian Boar AKA Atlanta Boar
Attributes:
Body: 8
Agility: 3
Reaction: 4
Strength: 6
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 2
Logic: 2
Willpower: 4
Edge: 2
Init: 7
IP:1
Magic: 5

Movement: 15/50
Skills: Dodge 2, Perception 3, Unarmed combat 6
Powers: Hardened Armor 8, Natural Weapon (Tusks: DV6I, AP-1), Fear, Berserk (SM pg 175), Iron Gut x4 (SM pg 177)
Weaknesses: None

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Sep 10 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Now that I could see a corp hiring runners to do something about (after it started ravening through their experimental crops.)

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Sep 10 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Sep 10 2008, 03:29 PM) *
Now that I could see a corp hiring runners to do something about (after it started ravening through their experimental crops.)

It does fit the "Ravaging the countryside" in the myth. Also it would take something like a mythical archer to be able to get enough successes to penetrate its armor.

Still I don't think that it is so unbalanced that a decent streetsam couldn't take it out. Its scary, but not impossible.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.