Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Enhanced senses..?
Nkari
post Sep 11 2008, 12:11 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,523

What the heck do they do in game terms, like enhanced senses for shifters.. do you get bonus dice or what ? =)

Have been looking thou both runners comp/core etc.. and havent found anything worth while..

Allso.. the Drain dmg you take from using certain adept powers and magic spells, is that regenerated or do you have to
heal it normally ?

And Foci, do you add the full force of the foci to the test, or are the dice dependant on you relevant skill you use in conjunction
with the foci ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Sep 11 2008, 01:34 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

It is unclear exactly what some of the Enhanced Senses do, but Scent should allow you to reliably make Perception Tests to locate or identify something by smell, & possibly identify moods. Hearing would allow you to hear frequencies outside the human norm.

As for Drain, Regeneration cannot heal magical damage, which is exactly what Drain is.

+Quote Post
Kurious
post Sep 11 2008, 02:56 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,312

QUOTE (Nkari @ Sep 11 2008, 12:11 AM) *
What the heck do they do in game terms, like enhanced senses for shifters.. do you get bonus dice or what ? =)

Have been looking thou both runners comp/core etc.. and havent found anything worth while..

Allso.. the Drain dmg you take from using certain adept powers and magic spells, is that regenerated or do you have to
heal it normally ?

And Foci, do you add the full force of the foci to the test, or are the dice dependant on you relevant skill you use in conjunction
with the foci ?

I am pretty sure 'enhanced senses' works like the adept power 'increased senses'.

And since shifter does not express a particular type of sense (like thermal vision) or of one sense individually; I believe that means they get all five basic senses. Thus, a shifter gets +3 to perception checks that involve the five basic senses (a.k.a. virtually all perception check, 8P).

Drain, as mentioned, can only be healed by 'normal medical means' or time.

With Foci, you add the full value to which ever test you are conducting. I.e. a 'spellcasting foci: 2' can add 2 to the spellcasting test, or the drain (your choice at casting), etc, etc.

When an adept buys an improved sense on a power that has multiple levels (e.g., vision enhancement or sound filter) are they purchased as levels or does the adept gain the max value for just .25 points?

They receive it at the maximum level.

Can Physical Drain be healed by magic?

No. Damage from Drain must be healed by regular mundane medical care and/or rest.

Link to official FAQ regarding adepts

Hope this helps)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Sep 11 2008, 03:05 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Kurious @ Sep 10 2008, 08:56 PM) *
I am pretty sure 'enhanced senses' works like the adept power 'increased senses'.

And since shifter does not express a particular type of sense (like thermal vision) or of one sense individually; I believe that means they get all five basic senses. Thus, a shifter gets +3 to perception checks that involve the five basic senses (a.k.a. virtually all perception check, 8P).

Enhanced Sense (Hearing) is separate from Enhanced Sense (Audio Enhancement). The former would allow you a broader frequency hearing, the latter bonus dice equal to it's rating on Audio Perception Tests.

Further, every Shifter in the book lists exactly which Enhanced Sense's it has, and for those with variable ratings, what rating it is.

+Quote Post
Kurious
post Sep 11 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Sep 11 2008, 03:05 AM) *
Enhanced Sense (Hearing) is separate from Enhanced Sense (Audio Enhancement). The former would allow you a broader frequency hearing, the latter bonus dice equal to it's rating on Audio Perception Tests.

Further, every Shifter in the book lists exactly which Enhanced Sense's it has, and for those with variable ratings, what rating it is.

Ah, your right. I had read the passage on page 87, but completely missed the chart on the page before.

On the flip side, the main book critters (again, as far as I can tell) just says 'enhanced senses (xyz). I think this falls in line with the interpretation above where, if it just says (hearing) or (vision) ((as I have never seen 'audio enhancement' as an option)), they would get +3 to that perception check.

Also, (I just got the book, so I may have missed something like I did with the shifters), HMHVV infected like vampires get 'enhances senses (xyz)', but I do not see the same clarification that shifters have; so they would also be as above. Would you agree?

+Quote Post
Kurious
post Sep 11 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

So... I guess you agree with the 'critter power- enhanced (xyz)' being the same as an adepts 'increased senses'; in that, enhanced (hearing) would give the critter (including HMHVV infected, like vampires) a +3 to their hearing perception checks?

I have scanned the books that I have, and am yet to see enhanced senses (audio enhancement)... and for that matter, have only seen (vision enhancement (2)) for the one shifter type... which leads me to believe that it is the exception (Jaguar shifters don't get the full +3), not the rule.

+Quote Post
Nkari
post Sep 11 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Nitpic.. its Eagles that dont get the full.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Kurious
post Sep 11 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Dang... good catch. That's what I get for just taking a 'quick peek'... clearly I glitched my roll, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/embarrassed.gif)

+Quote Post
Nkari
post Sep 11 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Obviously.. =)

+Quote Post
Nkari
post Sep 13 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

And on a side note instead of creating a new Thread..

Can you use 2 diffrent foci for one spell.. ie 1 foci to boost your spell dice.. and another foci to soak the drain ?

+Quote Post
Kurious
post Sep 13 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Yes, so long as the mage spent the two simple actions to activate each focus- it takes "no action to use or apply." $$

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 13 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

last i heard, they were planning to remove the ability of spell focuses to improve drain resistance (or perhaps they already had in the errata? i remember it coming up that they didn't change summoning focuses in the same way, in any case).

that said, most people agree that's a terrible rule, and that it makes spellcasting and summoning focuses excessively crappy when compared to a power focus... and so many GMs will let you use your spellcasting focus to resist drain (at the same time as using a power focus to boost your dice pool) since they affect 2 different dice pools, and the limit on a focus is only one per dice pool.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Sep 13 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

4th Printing (& Errata) - Spellcasting Foci cannot be used to resist Drain.
5th Printing (still delayed Errata) - Conjuring Foci cannot be used to resist Drain.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Sep 13 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Kurious @ Sep 11 2008, 08:27 AM) *
So... I guess you agree with the 'critter power- enhanced (xyz)' being the same as an adepts 'increased senses'; in that, enhanced (hearing) would give the critter (including HMHVV infected, like vampires) a +3 to their hearing perception checks?

Once again, Enhanced Hearing does not give +3 to Perception, it allows you to hear frequencies above & below the Human norm.

+Quote Post
Nkari
post Sep 13 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

So basicly, you use Spellcasting or conjouring foci to cast/summon with.. and power foci to resist drain with then..

And GAH.. make up yer minds on the enhanced senses please.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) P either you get +dice or you dont. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Kurious
post Sep 13 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

I was unaware of that errata on spellcasting foci... ouch.

As for enhanced senses... I do not know. I thought my interpretation made sense, especially from the mainbook critter POV; but by no means do I know for sure.

Are there any other examples like the "Eagle shifter's- Vision Enhancement (2)", in any other critters or beings?

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Sep 13 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Power Foci were never capable of being used to resist Drain.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.