Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Improved Invisibility
Machiavelli
post Sep 11 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749

Yeah i know. Everbody is thinking...."Oh god, not again" but I have one or two simple little question about the following situation:

You are invisible, enemy fails the spell resistance test but he wants to attack you anyway. Acc. to the rules he has to swap from agility to intuition for this. If he wants to SHOOT you, he also has the modifier of -6 dice for hidden object. But what if he wants to hit you in melee combat? Same rules? My GM says that the core book only says: if you want to attack an invisible char. you have to apply the modifier for hidden enemy, but this modifier is only mentioned in ranged combat. If you see the modifiers in the melee section, there is no equivalent (at least it should have been mentioned there, or not?).

Is there possibly another section in the book that clarifies this "problem"? For me as player it would be great if this modifier is also used in melee combat but i need some help to persuade our GM^^
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kurious
post Sep 11 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,312

Logically, both (range and melee) would follow the same rules.

After all, you are guessing (intuition) where the target is and still attacking blind (-6) in both circumstances.

Both are 'attacking blind' situations).

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Sep 11 2008, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

But you donĀ“t have a specific example from the core-books for me?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 11 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Does the last paragraph of Invisibility/Improved Invisibility's spell description count as a "specific example?" Or are you more concerned about the Intuition part? If so, the rules are idiotically (shock of shocks) written from one point of view and completely ignores everything else. So yes, by the rules, that part only applies when shooting the target. But it should apply to melee as much as ranged combat.

In no way, however, is Target Hidden a ranged combat-only modifier. "Blind Fire" is just a variable name for it that applies to ranged combat.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Sep 11 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Technically, there would be no penalty. Though, its arguable if you could even be allowed to make the attack, as you failed your resist against them and thusly don't see them.

+Quote Post
Blade Of The Ris...
post Sep 11 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 16,319

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 11 2008, 03:58 PM) *
Yeah i know. Everbody is thinking...."Oh god, not again" but I have one or two simple little question about the following situation:

You are invisible, enemy fails the spell resistance test but he wants to attack you anyway. Acc. to the rules he has to swap from agility to intuition for this. If he wants to SHOOT you, he also has the modifier of -6 dice for hidden object. But what if he wants to hit you in melee combat? Same rules? My GM says that the core book only says: if you want to attack an invisible char. you have to apply the modifier for hidden enemy, but this modifier is only mentioned in ranged combat. If you see the modifiers in the melee section, there is no equivalent (at least it should have been mentioned there, or not?).

Is there possibly another section in the book that clarifies this "problem"? For me as player it would be great if this modifier is also used in melee combat but i need some help to persuade our GM^^

That's cos his npc is Zatoichi man...ur screwed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
jago668
post Sep 11 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

So logically then. If you can't apply the modifier to your melee attack because it is a ranged combat modifier, and you are in melee combat. Then since you are unable to complete the attack equation then you are unable to attack. Thusly improved invisibility makes you immune to nonranged combat. Tada, I'm brilliant. Mwahahahahhaha.

However I would think it was a situation where a specific rule is trumping a general rule.

+Quote Post
Blade Of The Ris...
post Sep 11 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 16,319

Arsenal, p158, Maneuvers (combat techniques used by Martial Artists): Blind Fighting--> The character is adept at fighting without the sense of sight. The modifier for attacking a hidden target (seeTarget Hidden (Blind Fire) p141 SR4) in melee combat is reduced from -6 to -3. The target, whether invisible or simply hidden , must be within range of the character's other senses (hearing, smell, etc...).

Feel better now ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleepy.gif)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 11 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (jago668 @ Sep 11 2008, 12:28 PM) *
So logically then. If you can't apply the modifier to your melee attack because it is a ranged combat modifier, and you are in melee combat. Then since you are unable to complete the attack equation then you are unable to attack. Thusly improved invisibility makes you immune to nonranged combat. Tada, I'm brilliant. Mwahahahahhaha.

However I would think it was a situation where a specific rule is trumping a general rule.

Err, it's not a ranged combat-only modifier. Only the Intuition-instead-of-Agility part is specific to shooting (for no particular reason). The -6 penalty is universal and referenced multiple times in the rules.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Sep 11 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 11 2008, 01:16 PM) *
Err, it's not a ranged combat-only modifier. Only the Intuition-instead-of-Agility part is specific to shooting (for no particular reason). The -6 penalty is universal and referenced multiple times in the rules.

SR4, 140, in the Ranged Combat Modifiers Table is the only listed location for Target hidden (blind fire) -6.

It is referenced as if it is applicable for all attacks, but it is only in the ranged combat modifiers table. No cover modifiers are listed in the melee combat table.

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Sep 12 2008, 02:10 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,332

If that's not good enough for you, note that the full darkness penalty is also -6. Same thing, really.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.