IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Milspec armour, How long to put it on?
raggedhalo
post Sep 18 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,515

Hi folks,

I'm statting up a secure MCT facility for my team's next run. I'm having the grounds patrolled by normal security goons (basically the Lone Star Cops from the Friends and Foes chapter of the BBB) and drones in normal circumstances, with three High Threat Response teams on standby in case of intrusion.

However, I don't imagine that all three teams sit around in the deployment area wearing milspec armour and drinking coffee, so I figured that they'd have one team fully ready to go when the alarm sounds, and the other two teams would then start suiting up at that point.

So my question is, how long do you think it takes someone in that state (i.e. on standby ready to do this, and in the same room as their armour) to get into Medium Military Armour (Quick Release, Strength Increase 2, Gyromount, Mobility Upgrade 2) with a Helmet? I just want a sensible scramble time for the HTR boys.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steampunk
post Sep 18 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 16,298

Personally, I tend to assume that, even with some sort of "Quick-Dressing" system (or something like that, whatever) it will take it's time, more than a minute, perhaps up to 5 mins, if you assume some kind of self-check before use. I don't think that they sit around in this armor, as it's surely not very comfortable and not every alarm will need them to put it on.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Sep 18 2008, 07:04 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

It'd be no less comfortable than FFBA, just a bit heavier. (Unless you have mobility upgrade).

Since you have quick release, I see no reason why it would take more than a minute or so to get into the stuff with teammates. I'm sure having one guy help dress another and vice versa works a lot better.

+Quote Post
the_real_elwood
post Sep 18 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,349

The U.S. Army fields quick release armor currently. What it does is, you pull a wire that basically disassembles the armor in case of an emergency (like you fall into a river and need to float). If you have to put the armor back on again, you have to spend the time to reassemble it, and then put it on like normal. So I don't really think that quick release would help you put on the armor faster. I'd say that it'd probably take no more than 3-5 minutes for the team to suit up in their heavy armor. Think of it like firefighters, they've got a lot of gear to put on, but they practice doing it as fast as possible. Also, I'd presume that the team is helping each other get into their armor. If you were suiting up in heavy milspec armor solo, it might take a little longer.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 18 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

They are, like firefighters, likely to complete putting the gear once they are in the armored transport en-route.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Sep 19 2008, 04:45 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

Firefighters also set their gear up. They roll the pants down over the boots so they can get the lower half of their gear on by simply inserting their feet and rolling up the pants. The rest of the non-respirator kit is a layered one-piece jacket and the helmet. It's just a padded Nomex jacket and pants, after all.

I don't see how you can roll up a mil-spec armor system as described in the books the same way .

That said, firefighters have it a lot easier than people wearing modern body armor. The armor has to be tight, but not too tight as you need to be able to move effectively, to your body to work effectively so it's all fitted stuff. Sounds easy to supply until you get men and women. Big guys and smaller stature people. Tall and short. Thin and heavy. All of these different body types need a different setup unless you the military route with a small, medium, and large torso plate system which just covers the vitals.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 19 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

The quick release has been approved, but hasn't seen wide issue yet. Hell, not everyone has an ACH yet.

I'd say between 5 and 10 minutes to allow for climbing into gear, making the connections and testing the systems - based on the complexity of the system, I'd have to imagine MCT would float the extra cash to have armorers on hand to cut down on the prep time for a rapid deployment.

A more reasonable arrangement, in my humble opinion, would be one mil-spec team on stand-by with two Quick Response Forces (QRF) teams in the wings.

On an alert, QRF 1 rolls into the situation while Mil-Spec 1 suits up and responds. QRF 2 moves to "stand by" to support QRF 1 if needed or respond to a different alarm.

The overall number of 2/1 security clusters would depend on the size of the facility and priority of security.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Sep 19 2008, 01:17 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

Looking at the pic in Arsenal, I would guess you have 10-15 armor modules that probably take 15-60 sec to put on and adjust.

Arm and leg segments are probably pretty quick, just a clamshell design. Torso is probably pretty complex.

edit: 15-60 sec _each_.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 19 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #9

Dragon

If mil-spec armor was glorified plate mail, I'd agree.

When you start talking about strength augments, mobility enhancements and a freaking gyromount, the whole ensemble screams "exoskeleton" which suggests the whole process is more complex than just snapping ceramic plates into place over an armored body suit.

I'd even believe "mil-spec" was low-end Assisted Combat Power Armor (ACPA) rather than a glorified flack jacket.

-Siege

+Quote Post
the_real_elwood
post Sep 19 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,349

So maybe security teams could be set up with some sort of equipment that assists in donning armor. Maybe a rack kind of thing that holds the leg section and torso section. You climb up some steps, drop down into the leg section, it lowers the torso section on you, and then you snap the helmet on and you're good to go. I'd still give it a maximum of about 5 minutes to put it all on, especially for a highly trained team.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 19 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #11

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

something like the space suite then. altho i like the russian one more, as its basically a walk-in with the backpack providing the "door" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 19 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #12

Dragon

At the end of the day - it's all up to you. There are no canon rules governing the topic and the description is vague enough that you can read a number of interpretations into it.

Hell, toss a d10 in minutes, just to mess with your players. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

-Siege

+Quote Post
Steampunk
post Sep 19 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 16,298

QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Sep 19 2008, 05:16 PM) *
So maybe security teams could be set up with some sort of equipment that assists in donning armor. Maybe a rack kind of thing that holds the leg section and torso section. You climb up some steps, drop down into the leg section, it lowers the torso section on you, and then you snap the helmet on and you're good to go. I'd still give it a maximum of about 5 minutes to put it all on, especially for a highly trained team.

I thought of something similar, but no stairs, just a bar above the leg section... The soldier grabs die bar, pulls himself up and slips into it. The torso can probably be closed on the backside automatically... But yes, I also tend to think that 5 mins are a good estimate.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Sep 20 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

5 minutes for a prepped and primed suit sounds reasonable to me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.