IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR fantasy, how hard can it be?
Is a SR rules based fantasy setting a good idea?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 38
Guests cannot vote 
Kronk2
post Sep 20 2008, 01:25 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,245

So. We all agree that DnD causes Cancer and the plague.

I am posting the link to my blog where I am working on a fantasy game using some of the basics of the Shadowrun System. Also, to whom do I need to speak if this moves forward enough to publish?

I will not be using any of the Shadowrun intellectual property nor to I intent do make any linkages or references to it.

What I am aiming for is a setting in the Middle Ages with the plague reawakening and the world coming out of an ice age of unspecified length.
There are 3 supercontinents.
I will be redefining many of the races and roles. I do not plan on direct linear classes, but more a well defined roll based system.

The primary roles being Magi, Cleric, Paladin, Scholar, and Soldier.
http://samwyz.blogspot.com/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Sep 20 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

I had started (and abandoned - due to RL concerns) a similar project some time last year. I would be honored to help. Question though - why essentially a middle age connection? I would advise you to go timeless since it opens all kinds of vistas without someone arguing, "They didn't have steam power at that point in history and furthermore ... "

Anyway, let me know.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 20 2008, 05:50 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

I am not specifically aping that era. I want feudalism to be the primary method of government. But most communities are not going to more than Band sized, with no more than 200 people per village.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Sep 20 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #4

Runner

Ok, so a king, peasant style of governance. Got it. It is more regular visits from the king's agents or the king's taxman only come by once in a generation?

I've seen both as "more distance = less power" work very well in a feudal system.

Shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 20 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Alex @ Sep 20 2008, 01:26 AM) *
Ok, so a king, peasant style of governance. Got it. It is more regular visits from the king's agents or the king's taxman only come by once in a generation?

Taxes are the due responsibility of the Count Sheriff. While not a Noble in his own right he or she would be considered Gentry. Generally Scuttage is sent instead of actual soldiers in case of war. Taxes are sent up twice yearly with the harvests, while the roads are open. Poaching is a MAJOR crime, the game wardens are given great freedom to seek and bring to justice offenders.

+Quote Post
The ubbergeek
post Sep 20 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,415

So. We all agree that DnD causes Cancer and the plague.

Dudes, could we stop the hatin' on D&D? You may not like the RPG, but perhaps we could respect each other a bit?

You can like this and Shadowrun, it's not exclusive.

And Shadowrun as a game is not necesarly 'better' on a moral and ethical analysis... It kinda started as a D&D + Cyberpunk, anyway.

+Quote Post
TheGothfather
post Sep 20 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,303

QUOTE (The ubbergeek @ Sep 20 2008, 11:16 AM) *
And Shadowrun as a game is not necesarly 'better' on a moral and ethical analysis... It kinda started as a D&D + Cyberpunk, anyway.

QFT

Also, the game rewards similar behaviors.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 20 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Actually I do play 4th ed dnd, and I enjoy it. but I am looking with something more role based and less mechanically defined. I had started to build this as a dnd module, but I thought SR needed some love.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Sep 23 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

Just a suggestion which you can take or leave: You might be better off developing your own set of mechanics rather than adapting SR to fit a sword and sorcery setting. You may end up limiting yourself. If you develop your setting and rules in tandem the two often feed and grow each other.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 24 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

I have thought of that, but I am no mathematician, and making it balance would be hard.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Sep 25 2008, 04:37 AM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Sep 24 2008, 02:22 PM) *
I have thought of that, but I am no mathematician, and making it balance would be hard.

Indeed; however, as previously mentioned, it is very hard to keep the existing balance from SR4 if you do away with cyber. You might be able to get away with calling Wired II a special permanent form of a haste spell.

Happy hunting.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 25 2008, 07:08 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Well by making the specialized fighters like Adepts that balances things kinda nicely. I am planning on making clerics and Magi very different. Clerics will be sort of Physical mages, but with mental instead of physical. I intend to have a set of skills that every group can enhance. For clerics I am leaning toward arts and science, and Magi will be more technical. Think science versus engineering.

The spell lists for Cleric and Magi will overlap in some places. Also the list, and uses for spells for a Cleric will be limited by the Order they join. Magi are all (for now anyway) members of the same order.

Most clerics cannot use spells offensively. However, Members of the Order Militant can use spells in direct offense, but should not be aiming for a kill. (unless the target is subject to certain other conditions. (i.e crusade, excommunication, heresy, attempting to kill a Cleric) The Order Militant takes a very strict point of view on Murder is bad. War is not murder, ergo killing in war (and battle) is ok, but outside of that, no.
One of the first spells both Magi and Clerics learn is Majesty. This spell makes the user VERY impressive to all who are listening or witnessing him, every one in observation range will pay attention their actions and words. Not necessarily Obey them, but pay attention anyway. While in this state the user may make commands, and all who would resist must make a willpower test or obey. There are circumstances that would modify the check for this, but I don't want to talk too much about that now.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 26 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

By the way if any of you wanna talk about this my AIM is nemoobviscae

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Sep 26 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #14

Runner

Considering I rank AIM below AOL, I will have to pass on the IM function for now. Would PM work?

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 27 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

well I have the other 2 also. but sure.

+Quote Post
cREbralFIX
post Oct 15 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,150

This is freakin' scary...I was thinking the same thing.

Earthdawn was a great game, but it's out of print now (unless one of the online game stores has it). I like SR better, though.

SR4 can be used for anything...change the guns to "blasters" and you have Star Wars.

Dump the guns, crank up the magic, and you have a fantasy game.

Put it in the 1800's and you can have Cthulu and SteamPunk.

Make everyone vampires and you get....

+Quote Post
Hatspur
post Oct 21 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,880

I attempted an Earthdawn conversion into Shadowrun 4e rules and completed the first draft. It's floating around here somewhere and would definetly help you converting some basic rules into the fantasy type setting.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Nov 7 2008, 05:43 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Work has progressed. I am sort of reviving pools for certain tasks/ builds.

also there are a few new qualities:

Noble: comes in various point values ranging from 1 to 20 and you can also use it as a flaw. As a flaw your character is a a bondsman to someone else and MUST obey their every whim.

The flaw goes downward from bondman to serf to slave. slaves are bonded to serfs who are bonded to the land. (BTW slavery has nothing to do with race in this game/ world)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.