Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fling LOS
Joker9125
post Dec 24 2003, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,909

I remember reading about Fling as a telekinetic manipulation spell that required physical touch. How does this make any sense? Im pretty sure it is the only Tele. Manip. spell that requires physical touch. My question is What is the advantage of this spell if I remember correctly you have to physially touch an object in order to fling it. How is this any more advantagious than actually throwing the object?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 24 2003, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

Less drain.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Dec 24 2003, 03:04 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Telekinetic Manipulation spells by nature infer that you move things without actually having to touch them. Take Magic fingers for instance. My question is how would fling be any more advantagious than actually throwing the object? As far as drain goes why not just use a sustaining focus?

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Dec 24 2003, 03:30 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

A mage with Strength-2 and no Thrown Weapons skill would find Fling-6 advantageous.
A mage with both hands tied behind his back would find it advantageous.

Magic Fingers doesn't let you use Sorcery as your Ranged Combat skill. It also applies a +2 TN modifier to any skill used remotely. Sustaining it may reduce drain, but it doesn't affect these limitations.

Levitation would be similarly limited, but wouldn't impose the TN modifier. In addition, the damage you could do with, say, a throwing knife may be limited to (movement rate / 10) Stun depending on your GM's interpretation of the spell description. Lastly, a sustaining focus for a Levitation spell against a grenade would only work as long as the grenade existed. Once it blew up, you'd have to recast the spell against a new valid subject.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Dec 24 2003, 03:37 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

A mage with both hands tied behind his back would find it advantageous.

This might seem like a really dumb question but if a mage has his hands tied behind his back how is he going to touch an object in order to fling it? This is exactly my point it would make more sense for it to be a LOS based spell.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Dec 24 2003, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

You could create a new fling without the touch requirement. The drain would be higher, but other than that, it should work the same.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Dec 24 2003, 04:02 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

That thought occured to me how about 2m drain like magic fingers?

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Dec 24 2003, 04:08 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Grenades can hang off belts and bandaleros. Shuriken can be disguised as jewelry (rings, earrings, brooches, lapel pins, tiaras, torqs, etc.). If you're lying on the ground, touch your head (or leg, or butt, etc.) to the nearest rock and bingo!, you're armed.

Unless you have some sort of geasa, there's nothing forcing you to use your hands as the sole focal points for magic.

Fling is built using the spell design rules in Magic in the Shadows (MITS). A modified version of Fling (one that uses LOS instead of Touch) can be built using these rules as well. However, the drain goes up; +1(S) instead of +1(M).

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Dec 24 2003, 04:12 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Most of that makes sense but the drain isnt really an issue just use a sustaining focus.

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Dec 24 2003, 04:15 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Fling is an Instant spell. It cannot be placed in a sustaining focus.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Dec 24 2003, 04:15 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Joker9125)
How is this any more advantagious than actually throwing the object?

QUOTE (tanka)
Less drain.

How much drain do people take for throwing objects in your game? ;)

+Quote Post
Matrix Monkey
post Dec 24 2003, 04:21 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,813

QUOTE (Joker9125)
That thought occured to me how about 2m drain like magic fingers?

How about... using canon rules for determining the drain level of a custom spell? :P
See MitS p.49, Range.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Dec 24 2003, 04:24 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Stupid me. In about a month when I have access to the books again ill read up on that.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Dec 24 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Magic Fingers doesn't let you use Sorcery as your Ranged Combat skill. It also applies a +2 TN modifier to any skill used remotely. Sustaining it may reduce drain, but it doesn't affect these limitations.

What about an aptitude with sorcery? I realize that that is broad of a skill to use that edge with but what about having an aptitude with telekinetic spells or prehaps just Magic Fingers? It would greatly help sword fighting froma distance -1 TN

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Dec 24 2003, 04:52 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Aptitude would help, but the Shadowrun Companion (SC) specifically advises against allowing players to take the Aptitude edge for combat and magic skills. It can be too unbalancing. Your GM'll have the final say on this.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Dec 24 2003, 04:52 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I've allowed weird aptitudes before. One of my players had a character with Aptitude: Dodging, which I allowed with the proviso that he wear only form-fitting or second-skin armor. Another wanted Aptitude: Blowjobs which I gave him a discount for.

It's cool to be good at something weird, like Aptitude: Magic Fingers Swordfighting :)

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Dec 24 2003, 05:00 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

I'd certainly allow something like an aptitude for spellcasting with a specific spell category - so long as the character wasn't already a relevant shamist or elemental mage because that's just cheesy. ;)

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Dec 24 2003, 05:14 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Another wanted Aptitude: Blowjobs which I gave him a discount for.

Wait just one minute here. Aptitude with blowjobs? What kinda campaign are you running or do I even want to know? :eek:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.