IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recruitment: Karn Evil, The clowns aren't the only scary thing this time...
Mickle5125
post Sep 20 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,433

On the thin Denver air, so often laced with heavy metals, the acid tang of refineries, assembly lines and all the dregs of industry, another scent had overlain itself. Cotton candy, crepes and toffees mingled with the industrial air, making it sweet and cancerous all at once. A wide lot, vacant yesterday and long ago bulldozed empty of anything but tarmac and the memory of jobs, was now filled with tents, trucks and temptations for children of all ages. The Carnival had come to Denver, nestling itself in the city's empty spaces as it had once settled itself in farmers' fields, unheeding Time. A few beefy trolls manhandled the poles of the last tent with ease and a dwarf with grease paint forcing a permanent smile on his face jammed fliers under the wipers of the cars crawling past in the slow rush hour traffic.

"Come to the carnival," they said. "An experience you'll never forget."

Setting: Denver, June 2070.
chargen rules:
roughly 425 BP & 30 Karma (may change later. Keep an eye out.)
natural charisma*2 free contact points
no spirits, infected, AI. Metavarients, changelings, and shapeshifters on a case by case basis.
Other than that, regular chargen rules.

I'm looking mostly for character concepts. I want characters, not stereotypes, people. I don't want the troll tank with massive stats but no personality. That sucks and will result in your character being gibbed in the first 3 posts of the game. Seriously. Having said that, I don't want stupidly rediculous ideas, either. So no, you can't bring out Little Timmy, the demon possessed kindergartener on a permanent sugar high. He too shall be smited in the first 3 posts.

I'm thinking... 6 people. Recruitment is CLOSED.

Current Cast (6/6):
Redcap. Concept: Ex soldier/heavy weapons.
Dumori. Concept: B&E dwarf
Intro. Concept: PI
Digital Heroin. Concept: Magic-hunter elf
Dr. Funkenstein. Concept: Street Illusionist
DTFarstar. Concept: ???

GM contact info:
AIM: forceflow5125
e-mail: foreceflow02@yahoo.com (No, that isn't at typo)
MSN: foreceflow02@yahoo.com (once again, not a typo)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Sep 20 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #2

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

I would love to play Spider a B&E based dwarf vat-job.

+Quote Post
Intro
post Sep 20 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,146

Wondering what sort of feel you're going for with the game? Based on the carnival idea I could think of a couple different ways you could go: theatrical and over-the-top, dark and grotesque, kind of dark and straight noir... It would help to sort of guide character development along.

Just from sort of thinking along those lines, I have in my head a sort of classic noir/pulp P.I. I suppose it's a stereotype too, but it's a fairly archaic one, and rather full of personality, I think. I see him fairly hard-bitten, working the fringes of society, doing not-quite-legal work - helping out people who are mixed up tangentially in criminal activity, and are at the bottom of the social ladder - people who can't go through the traditional L.E. or corp routes for help.

Role-wise, he'd be muscle and a secondary face, with a good web of (low-level) underworld contacts - doesn't know anyone too important, but he'll usually know a guy who knows a guy.

+Quote Post
Red_Cap
post Sep 21 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,346

Bastian Beauregard

Bastian lives in the CAS sector of Denver. A native of Shreveport, Louisiana, Bastian served eight years in the CAS army before mustering out and moving to Denver. He's never been able to afford much in the way of bio or cyber, but boy does he love his guns: the bigger it is and the more bullets it spits, the better. Him being a dwarf makes handling some of his favorite firepower pieces a little difficult, but he manages. He's generally jovial and loves cracking jokes and listens to lots of old late-20th Century country-western music (and a touch of Elvis when he feels like it).

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Sep 21 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

Ok, I so want in on this... got character making on my mind, and I'm going to focus on 'net life to help me survive the next two weeks from hades (a very long sailing period awaits me)... but I need to get a concept in my head first...

...sadly, my gene-inheriting twins are two characters, and while fun, likely wouldn't fit...

...and I promise not to make a character entirely centered around weilding a gauss rifle, honest...

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 21 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Intro @ Sep 20 2008, 06:41 PM) *
Wondering what sort of feel you're going for with the game? Based on the carnival idea I could think of a couple different ways you could go: theatrical and over-the-top, dark and grotesque, kind of dark and straight noir... It would help to sort of guide character development along.

I'm in the same boat. I'd like to hear more about what you're aiming for. I can't tell if the characters are intended to be a part of the carnival coming to town, if it's just foreshadowing for what the game will revolve around, or even what sort of characters you're looking for beyond slightly more experienced ones. Any details would be appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Sep 21 2008, 01:41 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

I'm planning on going along a darker path with this one. At least for the first mission or two. The characters are a group of established and experienced shadowrunners, who have gained a pretty good reputation in Denver.

Personally, my idea of the best group for this game are a bunch of grim, sarcastic, and fairly professional individuals. Foxhole humor would make my day. Peppy McPeppep and her crew of clowns, preps, and sheeple would make me cry. Don't make the GM cry. He gets even in nasty, nasty ways.

Experienced, established, and professional. What are your opinions on the chargen numbers? do you think they're enough, or do you guys think they should be bumped one way or the other? Be ready to support your answer. Good reasoning makes me inclined to let a lot more slide than "please? It'll be freakin sweet!"

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 21 2008, 01:53 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Well, I'm a fan of the new Karma system from the Runner's Companion. It tends to create more well-rounded and believable characters with a wide range of skills, whereas the BP system tends to create very limited and restricted characters. 425 BP and 30 Karma will create characters who are a little tougher than "street" level, but not by much. So if that's what you're after regarding professionalism, I imagine it's spot on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks for the more detailed description, by the way. I'll try and have a concept or two for you in the next day or so. I'm a big fan of macabre games, so this really appeals to me.

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Sep 21 2008, 02:07 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 20 2008, 08:53 PM) *
Well, I'm a fan of the new Karma system from the Runner's Companion. It tends to create more well-rounded and believable characters with a wide range of skills, whereas the BP system tends to create very limited and restricted characters. 425 BP and 30 Karma will create characters who are a little tougher than "street" level, but not by much. So if that's what you're after regarding professionalism, I imagine it's spot on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

To be honest, I like karmagen, too, but it's so new, I don't know it quite as well as buildpoint system... BUT! if everyone can agree to go with karmagen, I might be willing to shift over to that. Only problem is, I'm not certain how much karma to start with... I just know 1000 is insanity and leads to godlike characters like ADRIAN.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 21 2008, 02:18 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

If you'd like to consider it, I'd suggest maybe 750 Karma with normal character creation restrictions (meaning no initiation, submersion, bypassing the limits on skill ratings, etc.) and then a token amount on top of that to represent being a little more seasoned. 30-50 should be more than enough in that regard. Maybe with a set amount of nuyen on top of it that can be used to buy gear over the Availability 12 restriction. I dunno. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Really depends on what you're aiming for power-wise, which is hard to judge from GM to GM.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Sep 21 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Runner Companion? Ok... I missed a publication along the way, didn't I?

Seriously, my brain itches to find a venue to play the twins... the speed-obsessed Technomancer and his entirely too serious for her own good protector of an Adept sister... but grim I can do... I have Immortal, the Magic-Hunter Elf, who just happens to have Spirit Bane: Insect, because I'm a masochist and it fits his background...

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Sep 21 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

more details on this magic hunter, please.

Yes, you apparently did miss a publication. It's fairly recent, however, so it's understandable.

Back to the magic hunter. Give me more info. I might need to adjust the campaign. Oh, is anyone planning on using any magic? How bout hacker-types? or are you all physical world only?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 21 2008, 02:51 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

I'm strongly leaning towards a magician. I have about ten different ideas floating around in my head; just waiting for one or two of them to settle down to the bottom so I can bring them to life for ya. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Sep 21 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Immortal is a tough-as-bloody nails former Tir Ghost... his family was slaughtered by near-do-well magic types while he was out on border patrol detail, and he became obsessed with tracking them down. The hunt left him scarred, battered, and ruined socially and professionally, so he left the country, and headed off to become a bounty-hunter of sorts, tracking down Toxics, and Insect hives and such....

He's magic-resistant, cybered to the gills, and ornary as all hell... fancies hand-rolled cigars, and big, big guns...

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Sep 21 2008, 03:32 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

hmmm... well, this all certainly looks interesting... should certainly put an interesting spin on the campaign.

Looks like we have one more opening.

Does anyone have a problem with switching over to karmagen? probably 750 karma with normal karmagen rules, and another 50 or so after that with regular karma rules. Plus bonuses for excellent backstories.

Oh, if you finish up your character sheet or your backstory, please e-mail it to me. I can't get to dumpshock from work, but the e-mails can get through to me, so I'll be able to deal with them while there.

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Sep 21 2008, 03:37 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

well, it has come to my attention a number of our players don't have RC, ergo... no karma gen this time around. Sorry mates.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Sep 21 2008, 03:38 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

I've got no access to RC, so working with karmagen might be a bit of a pain for me... if I'd known to look for it, I'd have been to a game shop today... it hasn't hit my local store yet...

+Quote Post
Red_Cap
post Sep 21 2008, 03:44 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,346

Immortal and Baz are going to get along pretty wel, I think -- they both like big guns.

And sadly, I am among those who missed Runner's Companion. Sorry, guys.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Sep 21 2008, 04:12 AM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

On a quest to buy RC tonight... paper... 'cause $25 for a PDF is stupid-pricey...

...wait, damnit... it's not on paper yet? Still... Borders bound to try and find...

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 21 2008, 04:43 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

It's actually really simple. I could probably type up a summary of it if anyone wanted. The book itself is worth the price, though, as there's quite a bit of good (and bad) in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
EDIT: Decided to type it up anyway.

KARMA SYSTEM

Standard characters begin with 750 Karma and use the following information to purchase their stats.
  • Race: 0 Karma (see below)
  • Attributes: Attributes start at your racial minimums. Each improvement costs (New Rating x 3) Karma up to your racial maximum. There is no inflated price for the last point.
  • Qualities: Qualities cost twice as much Karma as they do BP. You're limited to 70 Karma worth of Positive and 70 Karma worth of Negative Qualities during character creation.
  • Active Skills: Active Skills cost 4 Karma for the first point. Every point thereafter costs (New Rating x 2) Karma. There is no inflated price for the last point, but you still have the same limitations as you do in the BP system. In other words, you may choose to have only one skill at rating 6 OR two at rating 5. All other skills must be rating 4 or lower.
  • Active Skill Groups: Groups cost 10 Karma for the first point and (New Rating x 5) for each point thereafter. You may only raise an active skill group to a rating of 4 during character creation.
  • Knowledge/Language Skills: These skills cost 2 Karma for the first point and (New Rating) Karma for each point thereafter. No free Knowledge Skills based upon your Logic score, but you do get your native Language Skill for free.
  • Skill Specializations: All specializations cost 2 Karma regardless of the base skill.
  • Spells: Learning a spell costs 5 Karma. The same limitations in the BP system apply in the Karma system.
  • Foci: Use the values on SR4 p. 191 "Focus Bonding" for Karma costs.
  • Complex Forms: Complex Forms cost the same as Knowledge Skills; 2 Karma for the first point and (New Rating) for each additional point. BP system limitations apply.
  • Nuyen: Each point of Karma gives you 2,500 nuyen. Max of 250,000 nuyen during character creation.
  • Contacts: Add the Connection and Loyalty ratings together and multiply by 2. The result is the Karma cost for that contact.
All other limitations and restrictions from the BP system apply except where house ruled. Anything not addressed in the above rules should be resolved by doubling the BP cost.

Each Race costs 0 Karma in this system. This is the most controversial part about the Karma System, but the assumption is that the various metaraces end up paying for themselves via their Attribute costs. So a Human costs the same as a Troll as far as just their race is concerned, but it's assumed the Troll will pay more when he raises his Body to 12.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 21 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

All right, here's one of the concepts I cooked up.
    SMOKE
    Archetype: Street Illusionist (Gypsy Magic, Adversary Mentor Spirit)

Smoke is a full-blooded gypsy who's made Denver his home after getting into some trouble with his kumpanyia (gypsy family). Living out of an old Winnebego, his early career in the Mile High City consisted mostly of grifting the gaje (non-gypsies) out of their hard-earned nuyen, either through the art of the con or simple slight of hand while performing his street magic for his make-shift audiences.

At least that's what his life consisted of before one fateful day when he was brutally introduced to the shadows during an extraction gone bad. Whisked into the action amidst sirens, gunshots, and heavily armed drones, the runners he had stumbled into quickly realized his potential and, once the run was over, they tried to convince the Rom to work with them. When he was told just how much cash was involved, Smoke just flashed his award-winning grin and asked where to sign.

More than a year later, Smoke has proven himself in the shadows time and again. He uses a blend of his mastery of illusions and manipulations as well as his more mundane gift for manipulating the gaje to turn situation after situation to his advantage. He's not the most physically intimidating cat on the team -- especially when he brandishes that pansy little Streetline Special of his -- but few can doubt that when the shit hits the fan, it's far a better thing to have him on your side rather than the alternative...
He seemed to fit the theme you were after, so it'll be my first submission. If you're not too crazy about it, just let me know and I'll offer up something else!

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Sep 21 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

If you still need some more, I'll come along with a concept within the next day or so. I've got two that are warring in my head, and I'm glad you like gallows humor.... I have a hard time turning it off to be honest.

Chris

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Sep 21 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

1) Karma system.
Looks like we have the details of karmagen posted. Does anyone have a problem with transferring over to karmagen? It does mean that those of you who sent me character sheets will have to redo them. Oh, and The maximum Karma a character can spend on their attributes at character generation is half their starting Karma (rounding up) plus twice the listed BP cost for their metatype or alternate racial concept. Characters cannot begin the game with more than one attribute at their natural maximum.

2) Smoke seems good. Hack away at the character sheet.

3) With the entrance of DTFarstar, we have our 6 players. If anyone else is interested, I'll add you to the waiting list for if anybody drops out.

+Quote Post
Intro
post Sep 21 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,146

No, karmagen seems like it'll give more diversity for the PI-type, and I'd already started on a karma-based character sheet since it seemed we might be heading that way. I've got the character backstory kicking around in my head, but it's still a little nebulous as of yet.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Sep 21 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

Karmagen is no problem for me. I'll work a concept and send you the sheet ASAP. Mind telling me what else we have so I don't come up with a redundant concept? I see Smoke, Bastian, and Immortal. Illusion mage, dwarven gun nut frankenstein, and ... some kind of mage hunter/bounty hunter I think. So, we are missing Matrix, but I'm not a fan of playing most of those kinds of characters, and it seems like Smoke is facey, but we don't have a dedicated face. Then again, you can always do without either of those and sometimes multiple specialists, especially mages and combat characters, are good to have if they cover different specialties. Anyway, let me know what is going on, I've got a lot of concepts rattling around in my brain.

Chris

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.