IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PCs ever fail in one of your games?
ever happen?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 114
Guests cannot vote 
sunnyside
post Sep 23 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,502

Just curious how things go with others. I tend to like playing fairly hardball. Players don't lose too often, but it happens. And most missions have degrees of success, rarely do they come out as good as they could.

Personally I think the challenge and actual tension that results adds to the game significantly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Sep 23 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

They sometimes miss objectives.

WMS

+Quote Post
Red_Cap
post Sep 23 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,346

Me and a crew once went into the dramatic, final run of a campaign and completely wiped. It was the big confrontation with that one recurring character, the penultimate confrontation. . . .

And we never made it to said two-timing, double-crossing corporate mastermind because we forgot to lock the front door behind us. Damn corpsec team put a frag grenade right in the middle of the group.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 23 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Often times they do a drunkards walk to get there, but so far, my group has always performed the minimum mission requirements to get paid.

With the exception of the first game I ran as a Demo at a Convention, where they screwed the pooch badly!

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Sep 23 2008, 03:32 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

I've had a complete mission wipe once, and they unleashed a zombie mini-apocalypse in the form of shedim on the barrens once. They were being paid to stop it.... so they can fail in my games. Things happen the way they happen.

Chris

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Sep 23 2008, 03:35 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Man. So many party kills and blown runs and so few stories. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

I guess it could be players reporting honestly but they don't want to talk about it.

Mad props to Red_Cap for being the only PC with a post like that.

+Quote Post
MaxMahem
post Sep 23 2008, 03:55 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,097

Yes the fail. Often repeatedly.

One of the traps you can fall into in GMing is being afraid to let your players fail. Don't be. If there action don't have consiquences, whats the point? If there isn't the potential for failure in their tasks they aren't being challenged enough. As they say in the gym. No pain no gain. In my experience it is only the potential (and reality) of failure that makes success so sweet.

------

Possibly the most dramatic screw up in my game happened fairly recently (well in terms of the length of time we have been playing Shadowrun). The PC's failed to stop a bio-weapon from going off in NYC. Total death toll is over 10 million, including half the PCs involved.

Good times. Made continuing the campaign a bit difficult though.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 23 2008, 04:50 AM
Post #8

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

My GM philosophy is that I do not slide difficulty dynamically. My game world simply is. I have NPCs and they react per their stats. If I statted the NPC to be Inferior, then it is likely that the PCs will be able to win pass him in one manner or another. If the NPC is Equal or better, then maybe not. If the run is out of the PCs' league, either the Johnson or their fixer or the team themselves have opportunities to evaluate the situation and call it off. It is that simple. If they want to be foolhardy or it is a setup and the PCs didn't check on the J, then it happens.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Sep 23 2008, 05:06 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

They fail sometimes. Occasionally they all die. But they all learn.

+Quote Post
BullZeye
post Sep 23 2008, 05:53 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,168

Sometimes my players manage to make a foolproof plan and execute it flawlessly but typically one or more things go wrong leading to injuries, missions failed, captures or deaths. Some learn from their mistakes while some seem to repeat them over and over again. Dragging other teammates along to doom is common, too. "No officer, I'm here to do this with my friends *points* and they have just as forged licenses to their guns as I have, sir" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
faultline
post Sep 23 2008, 06:38 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,366

Through the various groups I've run for and groups I've run with we've had the mix of success and failures, but one of those groups did not just fail but outright killed the entire game in less than 5 minutes of game play.

It had taken me about a week to talk my friends who were not the biggest Shadowrun fans to let me run a game for them with my, then, new SR2 books. After about 4 hours of CharGen I finally started running, and as my players decided to want to play runners who had never met before I had to run their introductions. I decided to start with the most Shadowrun experienced players, who had decided to play a Human Rigger, and a Giant PhysAd uber combat monkey.

Well the meeting of these two didn't go too well with the players misunderstanding my desciption of the scene, and their characters insulting one another as a result of this misunderstanding. This insult throwing ended up leading to combat with the PhysAd winning on Init and using his Killing Hands Deadly on the Rigger. After the requisite rolls, the Rigger was dead and the PhysAd wiping the remains of the Rigger off his hands.

Well that one round of game combat was quite the game killer as everyone decided that they didn't want to play anymore. That game became quite famous in my circle of friends for Quickest PC death in any of the games we'd ever been involved in.

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Sep 23 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

My current campaign is based upon the theme "The NPC team leader plans, the PCs mess the plan up."

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 23 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

technically we never failed!
realistically? i can't count the fuck ups on my fingers, and i can count the runs on my fingers and have some left . .

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Sep 23 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Actually come to think of it I've never actually had a PC die. Edge/Karma having a lot to do with that though as you can burn both to keep your fat out of the fire. That alone wouldn't be enough. But things early on the games had convenced them they could die so at least my last two groups have had a willingness to bug out before it'd get to that point and a paranoid streak.

+Quote Post
marasaidw
post Sep 23 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 16,367

Hmm, well the only time my players have blown it is when the run is set up fishy from the start. I know them so I can usually figure when they'll fall for a trap, but in my defense I do leave a BIG clue each time before I do that. They really need to learn that sometimes you just have to walk away. I mean come on sit down at the table with the wrong Johnson take the job meet up with the other J realize both jobs are at the same place. Too me screams somethings fishy, they think oooooohhhhh double pay for the same insertion.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 23 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

My players have always lived by a code of conduct they just seemed to have subconsciously agreed on. Never back out on an agreed upon contract. Never walk away from a job unfinished.
So they might miss some objectives but always strive to meet the letter of the agreement.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Sep 23 2008, 01:23 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

QUOTE (faultline @ Sep 23 2008, 02:38 AM) *
Well that one round of game combat was quite the game killer as everyone decided that they didn't want to play anymore. That game became quite famous in my circle of friends for Quickest PC death in any of the games we'd ever been involved in.

Ouch. Funny story but what a downer, especially for those who were unsure about Shadowrun in the first place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

As a GM I haven't run into that but if I did I would probably congratulate the winning PC on foolishly vanquishing a potential ally, killing the fun of the game, wasting 4+ hours of prep, and pack up for the night.

+Quote Post
OneThirtyEight
post Sep 23 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 15,649

They've never totally failed, but they've been dragged through some rough stuff in the process.

The most memorable was the time i had seven characters being played, and only two of them survived the run.

This game session was, however, the one which had a death so badass and rediculously awesome that it's still talked about today.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Sep 23 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Sep 23 2008, 08:23 AM) *
Ouch. Funny story but what a downer, especially for those who were unsure about Shadowrun in the first place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

As a GM I haven't run into that but if I did I would probably congratulate the winning PC on foolishly vanquishing a potential ally, killing the fun of the game, wasting 4+ hours of prep, and pack up for the night.

As a side note the first thing I have new players do when I get them together is have them go onto the Matrix for a little simulated combat. First of all they tend to just enjoy it and it relieves tension, but beyond that it gets them accostomed to the SR world of combat where (especially in older editions) one shot kills are plenty common and tactics matter (again especially in older editions).

+Quote Post
TKDNinjaInBlack
post Sep 23 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,329

Oh yeah there have been failures. My first group never really failed at what the mission was, but we all failed miserably at Shadowrun. Nothing like being inconspicuous walking along a downtown street in full body armor with an Ares Alpha, no SIN, no license, and having your driver follow you in your stolen Ares Citymaster. Did LoneStar respond? nope.

We all had no idea of how the world worked and all of us lacked subtlety, so we had a hacker who compulsively hacked every comm he came across, we had a street sam shooting little kids' mothers before offing the kids, we had a pompous Martial Arts adept who refused to use guns and got shot A LOT, a ninja dwarf who instead of B&E and using infiltration, liked the direct approach of combat axe to the face, and a GM who got a big kick out of creating ANTI characters to combat and counter our team. Being that we had a team who was really combat oriented and didn't really use tech, we always lost against any kind of magical threat, and they happened often. I can't count the number of times on my hand I burned edge on my stupid character in that campaign.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 23 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

This game session was, however, the one which had a death so badass and rediculously awesome that it's still talked about today.

so talk about it

+Quote Post
ReverendMo
post Sep 23 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 16,221

My previous group of players failed fairly often or eked out some success through sheer determination towards being paid. Often times it was due to poor planning, everyone having very different ideas on how to accomplish the goals with radically different means and methods. Not to mention a great deal of poorly chosen reactions.

For example, one run was to act as undercover security for a new store opening in a mall. They actually did enough legwork to find out the store was owned by Aztechnology and expected some trouble with local Humanis, likely stirred up to just cause drek. The ex-security PhysAd befriended the store's oh, 23-year old security "chief," gave the store staff a crash course in riot security just in case, and in return had the store's basic security system and personnel in line. The mage opted to hide outside the store in the ever-growing crowd opening day and watch for any astral trouble incoming. The dwarf hacker/rigger/combat monkey was watching from the second-tier walkway, waiting for action.

Out of boredom the dwarf decided to try and hack into the *mall* security, using his implanted deck. Mind, it was set in Emergence, while accused technomancers were still being strung up before they could argue. So he botches, and the security hacker decides to let him think he's in while sending two guards in his direction. Next he knows, he's flanked by two Deputy Dans, telling him to hand over his deck. "But I don't have one!" Not a good lie to succeed at, now they think he's one of "them." And he refuses to go quietly.

Many grenades, brain-bursting spells, and mini-flamethrower shots later, the dead/wounded toll in the crowd is insane, the Humanis hired to cause trouble are dead, the dwarf and mage survive only by evaporating all their Edge, the Johnson that hired them has been executed, and Brackhaven's sending them get-well-soon flowers for making it look like mages and technomancers are conspiring against everyone.

Moral: If you don't tell your teammates your idea because you think they'll try and stop you, you probably shouldn't do it.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Sep 24 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

I'm generally quite kind to my players when they screw up totally, but that's not to say there's no a sting in the tail. They usually manage to complete the run well enough to get paid, but at times I have to completely change the run on the fly to accomodate their excesses. The best example I can think of is the time I spent a week detailing an apartment block they were supposed to infiltrate to steal hardcopies a blackmailer was using to extort money fom their Johnson. The PCs at no stage displayed any interest in entering the blackmailer's home, and the whole run ended up with them demolishing a mansion on the other side of town, whose floor plan I pulled out of my arse.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Sep 24 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #24

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

"We failed a few times, we just made damn sure no one found out about it."

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Sep 24 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

As mean and nasty as I'm sure I come off as, my players tend to pull it out of their asses one way or another when it's crunch time. I can't remember the last time my game hasn't been a "win" (maybe with some losses, but still a win) barring the one time a few years back where I did a TPK because the Paladin's player said the worst thing any player can ever say in a RPG session:

"Man, this is sooo easy. I haven't even taken damage this entire adventure!"

And my agonizingly looooong string of 1-5 d20 rolls immediately turned into an unending rain if Natural 20s...and everyone's level 5 character died like bitches from stupid shit like Dire Wolves and Were-rats.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.