Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You know you are a SR geek when...
masterofm
post Oct 3 2008, 01:17 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,640

So I was driving down the highway and in front of me I saw a car with a license plate that said

<3UBRBTL (for those of you who are unfamiliar with <3 it is a heart)

I read it as - I Love UBeR BTLs (Better Then Life)

It made me smile on the inside. Has anyone else had an experience like that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Oct 3 2008, 01:19 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

No.

You are utterly alone in the world.

That is all.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 3 2008, 01:26 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Every day, little buddy.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 3 2008, 01:27 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

You need to go back on your medication. Immediately. And if you're not on medication, go rob a pharmacy and get on some.

That said, yes, I've had Shadowrun moments creep into my daily observations before. I can't even begin to mention the number of times I've tried to give stats to characters in movies while I'm watching them, then immediately mentally slapping myself for doing so instead of paying attention.

+Quote Post
faultline
post Oct 3 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,366

Well, truth be told the other day I was at work doing a whole lot of nothing during a slow period, and actually was wishing I had a comlink and AR capabilities.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Oct 3 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

First thing I think of when I wake up and half my thoughts while driving to work. But I'm also a GM and I'm desperately trying to keep up with writing new adventures for my weekly group.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 3 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #7

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

I've had Shadowrun moments regarding who might be following/spying on me, and the best way to off annoying co-workers without alerting the authorities. I've had more problem with GTA, since it's more visual. There are a couple times I'd see a white dude in a grey hoody skulking around and I'd almost swerve over to hit him and collect all his drug money.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Oct 3 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

+ When you try to convince your girlfriend (currently debating buying lizards) to let you name them Dunkelzahn, Lofwyr, Celedyr, and Hestaby
+When you wish that you could do your job in virtual reality so that you'll get all of those cool icons instead of boring worksheets
+...and realize that your job'll probably enforce a reality filter so that you're still looking at sheafs of paper
+You do this any time you're standing somewhere waiting for something (post office, mall, girlfriend at mall...)
+You spent a half an hour looking through XKCD strips to find that one comic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 3 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

especially after an all too long game when i am tired and have too much caffeine in my blood . .
my mother once had one of those little glowy things set up in the hallway, without telling me . . so i opened up the door, and see some red dots on the wall creeping into my general direction . . i hit the floor x.x
other time i actually asked my buddy who offered to drive us home why the other cars had better stats than his . .

+Quote Post
Fyndhal
post Oct 3 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,254

QUOTE (masterofm @ Oct 2 2008, 06:17 PM) *
So I was driving down the highway and in front of me I saw a car with a license plate that said

See, I read that as "Love Urban Battle." Just as geeky, completely different. Viva la difference! And, yes, I realize the letters don't actually fit for that...dyslexia for the win!

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Oct 3 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

It's all Geek to me.

*giggles*

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 3 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #12

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (masterofm @ Oct 2 2008, 08:17 PM) *

See, I read your post, chuckled, and went to take a shower. As I was idly lathering, I was wondering what exactly a Universal Brotherhooder BTL was. Then I realised you meant uber BTL, not UBer BTL.

So yeah, I have meta-shadowrun obsession.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Oct 3 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

In what part of the world can have a Greater Than character in a license plate? Where I live you can only have letters and numbers.

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Oct 3 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

You can have personalized license plates I think you can get in any part of the U.S. The only difference is it costs more money so a lot of people don't do it. Also I think people who live in more urban areas have personalized license plates, and you have to look for it. When you are driving how often do you look at people license plates, unless you are stuck in some shitty traffic and have nothing better to do? I think that is the clincher right there.

For what I have seen though CA, and MA are the two states that I have seen have more then letters and numbers. Remember it wasn't this < plus 3 it was an actual drawing of a heart but since the internet only allows me to do <3 instead of actually drawing out a heart... well you know...

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Oct 3 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

Yesterday me and my best friend were talking about crosswalks.

Me: "I always go out of my way to use crosswalks."
Him: "What if you need to cross the street and the nearest crosswalk is almost a mile away?"
Me: "What city were you in that had a crosswalk a mile away?"
Him: "Redmond."
Me: "Well that dooesn't count, you were in the Barrens."
Him: *pointed look*
Me: "Oh, right."

+Quote Post
Cantankerous
post Oct 3 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,905

The only real SR moment (We've had so many D&D nerd moments over the years it doesn't near thinking about) that we had was with my ex-wife, who wasn't even one of the Players, but who often watched us at it, when seeing a Dale Earnhardt crash who quipped: "Damn, ten dice at least and still a rule of 1s." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Isshia

+Quote Post
Nigel
post Oct 3 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,932

I'm actually excited about the possibility of moving to Seattle - for the Awakening, which happens soon. That is a real reason.

My friends and I loosely stat each other, ourselves, and random people who we think of up.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Oct 4 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

Less like application of SR in the real world, more SR-like. I find that my mind spends its free time figuring out where all the security camera are, how I could get into an area unseen, how to disable large equipment, etc. I worked with a former Special Forces guy and he did this all the time - which is to be expected. I have no military background and find that I still do this all the time.

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Oct 4 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

So you are an secret special forces guy who's waitin for his mental command.

I think thats a perfectly sane and reasonable explanation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 4 2008, 02:10 AM
Post #20

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Alex @ Oct 4 2008, 08:46 AM) *
Less like application of SR in the real world, more SR-like. I find that my mind spends its free time figuring out where all the security camera are, how I could get into an area unseen, how to disable large equipment, etc. I worked with a former Special Forces guy and he did this all the time - which is to be expected. I have no military background and find that I still do this all the time.

I do that too. And when I go shopping with my girlfriend, I keep an eye on the windows and mirrors, looking for tails. "That creep in the yellow shirt has been following us around for the last 4 shops. You must look great today dear." "No, I wasn't paying attention to the girl in the red spaghetti top with nice boobs and great ass... oops" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I also tend to take notice of bulges in people's pockets(no, they are not really happy to see me), which hand they use to write(gun hand), etc. I can tell accurately which pocket they are going to reach into to get their car keys and which hand they are going to use - freaks out the girlfriend, I can tell you.

+Quote Post
kanislatrans
post Oct 4 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

From: The corner of Detonation Boulevard and Fascination Street
Member No.: 14,464

So,does Shadowrun make us paranoid or give us a heightened awareness of the world we live in? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

Its good to know that I'm not the only one who does this stuff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

Yesterday I was working on a refrigerator at a large trucking company warehouse and ran a mental assessment of the security. A couple of chipheads with survival knives could take this place. no maglocks or scanners anywhere, cameras set at bad angles, no armed guards at all.

Um, ok, maybe I take it a little further than most... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Rad
post Oct 4 2008, 07:01 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,715

I did this anyway before I started playing shadowrun--though I think I've stepped it up since--I just have better resources/contacts in game than IRL.

I have taken to saying "frag" and "fragging" so much my 58-year-old business partner has picked it up. It was a proud moment, I can tell you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
knasser
post Oct 4 2008, 09:06 AM
Post #23

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I'm guilty of checking out the security of places and the "choreographing fight scenes." I actually regard that as a virtue and it amazes me that some people don't think like that. I remember in Nottingham people being asked to leave a bank just as I'd walked in and I asked what was going on. One of the other customers said: "I think it's a bomb scare." By about the end of that sentence I was down the other end of the street and still accelerating. How people could still be standing outside a glass-fronted building wondering if there was a bomb in there is utterly beyond me. Though I suppose I should envy their ignorance in a way.

+Quote Post
Rad
post Oct 4 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,715

QUOTE (knasser @ Oct 4 2008, 02:06 AM) *
I'm guilty of checking out the security of places and the "choreographing fight scenes." I actually regard that as a virtue and it amazes me that some people don't think like that. I remember in Nottingham people being asked to leave a bank just as I'd walked in and I asked what was going on. One of the other customers said: "I think it's a bomb scare." By about the end of that sentence I was down the other end of the street and still accelerating. How people could still be standing outside a glass-fronted building wondering if there was a bomb in there is utterly beyond me. Though I suppose I should envy their ignorance in a way.

Yeah, it's a basic self-defense/preservation skill many people seem to lack. About a week ago I was helping a friend pick up her pieces at the Cuesta ceramics lab, when she thought she detected a gas leak in the massive gas-fired kiln there.

While she went inside to discuss it with the teacher, I put as much distance and as many heavy cement buildings between me and the ceramics lab as possible. I don't quite understand it, we've both seen footage of a gas explosion, and I know she isn't stupid--but oh well.

It's just less competition for survival, I guess. Like the people who are so amazed that I can walk a few blocks with out the aid of a motor-vehicle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
TKDNinjaInBlack
post Oct 4 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,329

QUOTE (Rad @ Oct 4 2008, 06:29 AM) *
Yeah, it's a basic self-defense/preservation skill many people seem to lack...

It's just less competition for survival, I guess. Like the people who are so amazed that I can walk a few blocks with out the aid of a motor-vehicle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

yeah, likewise when people thought I was psychotic for riding my bike 20 miles round trip to work during the summer or walking home 7 miles from a party when I was too drunk to drive. People can't seem to comprehend expending effort to survive. Survival loosely exaggerated as we all well know that in this day and age, even the dumbest and most inept will survive and social darwinism and natural selection have been halted by society.

I also find myself surveying all of my surroundings. I remember that it takes a threshold of 3 to see small items and 4 to see micro items, and I'll look around scenes till I deem that in RL I have achieved a threshold of 4 on my perception test. Don't want to miss those coins people leave on the ground...

Oh yeah, and I have actually toyed with the idea of moving to Seattle more or less out of what i have read from the SR fiction... I'd say that qualifies me to be an uber SR geek.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.