IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wall of Fire, Is there a maximum related to response and/or system?
Uli
post Oct 3 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,291

Since the Core Rulebook came out, I thought that the Firewall can never exceed the System value, because it's a software attribute und thus somehow, like rated programs, connected to System. But Unwired destroyed my blissful ignorance: Security cameras, smartguns and other nodes' Firewalls exceed their Responses and Systems.

Was I wrong? Is there no connection? Should I go home and think about my life? And stop selling those killer-sticks?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 3 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #2

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Your confusion is understandable, but you have been wrong. Programs are limited by System, Firewall isnĀ“t.

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Oct 3 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

Firewalls are partly hardware based today. the good ones anyway. Is that maybe a solution?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 4 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

They handled it in a most fucked-up way. Like Ryu said, even though Firewall is listed as a program, it's really not. It's just a software-based device attribute and has no bearing on your system's performance or limitations at all. You have a System 1/Response 1/Signal 1/Firewall 6 device with no reprecussions at all. Well, not because of the Firewall 6 at any rate.

I'm honestly not even sure why they decided to list it that way at all rather than simply keep it as an attribute.

+Quote Post
Uli
post Oct 4 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,291

I, too, wondered about that. Now I think of it as a piece of firmware. But this makes it more cheap to secure important parts of your PAN like expensive drones or implants.

+Quote Post
raggedhalo
post Oct 4 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,515

Firewall is a program. It's just neither a Common Use nor a Hacking Program nor an Agent, and thus isn't limited by System.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:21 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.