IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adept Hacker, I am turning around an Idea I needed your advise on .
Duke_The_Dwarf
post Oct 3 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,251

Race: Human
Attributes: (190 points + 65 for Magic)
Body: 3
Agility: 4
Reaction: 4 (6)
Strength: 2
Charisma: 3
Intuition: 4
Logic: 4
Willpower: 3
Edge: 4
Essence: 6
Magic: 5

Initiative: 10
IP: 3
Augmented Reality IP: 3 (Init 10)
VR Cold Sim IP: 2 (Init: 9)
VR Hot Sim IP: 3 (Init: 10) +2 Dice to all Matrix Tests

Skills (154 points)
Electronics Group: 4
......Computer: 4
......Data Search: 4
......Software: 4
......Hardware: 4
Crack Group: 4
.....Hacking: 4(6)
.....Cybercombat: 4(6)
.....Electronic Warfare: 4
Stealth Group: 2
Pistols: 2 (Semi-Auto 4)
Dodge: 3
Perception: 2
Pilot Ground Vehicle: 1 (Wheeled: 3)
Etiquette: 3
Negotiation: 1 (Bargin: 3)

Qualities: (+ 30)
+Adept (-5)
-Allergy Silver/Severe (15)
-Sensitive System (15)
-Addiction Minor (5) Gambling

Knowledge/Language ( free)
Have not filled these in yet

Powers (5 points)
Combat Sense: 2
Improved Reflex: 2
Improved Ability (Hacking): 2
Improved Ability (Cyber_Combat): 2

Hardware:
[ Spoiler ]

Software:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear: (82, 970 this includes hardware and software)
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
Fixer L 2 C 4
Hacker L 1 C 4
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BullZeye
post Oct 4 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,168

Looks ok, tho response 5 limits your system to 5 that limits programs to 5.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 4 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Very good overall character. Just a few things...

BullZeye is right about Response limiting your programs to an effective rating of 5. You don't need to change them, though. They will still work, just at the lower rating. If you keep them as they are, it only means that when you upgrade your Response, you won't need to raise a bunch of other things, too.

The Improved Ability power is limited to a modified rating of (skill x 1.5), so you can't get it at rating: 2 for a rating: 3 skill. I would recommend you get the Cracking skill group at 4, saving 12 BP. You would lose one point from hacking, but a single point in hacking is not worth 12 BP. And with 10 of the points you have saved, you could raise the electronics skill group to 4, making your Improved Abilities legal again.

You might consider replacing gymnastics with dodge, though. Gymnastics dodge can only be used in melee combat for full defense, and even then, someone using dodge for full defense in melee gets to roll their dodge twice, compared to once for gymnastics. And dodge can be used for normal melee defense, too. Gymnastics dodge is as good as dodge for ranged combat, but it can really only replace dodge for people who also have a melee skill (so that they can block or parry for melee defense) - it is not as good as dodge purely on its own. So I would only keep gymnastics if you plan on getting a melee skill in the near future.

Don't forget that humans get a bonus to their Edge. Your Edge should be 2, not 1.

+Quote Post
Duke_The_Dwarf
post Oct 4 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #4

Target

Great help guys... I knew I could get some help from the more experienced of players. I made the changes above.

Now another question I have; it says that Improved ability is only .25 for non-Combat oriented skills. Would this include Cybercombat, and Electronic Warfare? Or would these be considered actuall combat and I would have to pay .5 for each rank in these?

Thanks a bunch for your help with my new character Idea,

Duke

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Oct 4 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

QUOTE (Duke_The_Dwarf @ Oct 4 2008, 12:44 PM) *
Now another question I have; it says that Improved ability is only .25 for non-Combat oriented skills. Would this include Cybercombat, and Electronic Warfare? Or would these be considered actuall combat and I would have to pay .5 for each rank in these?

The combat active skills are: Archery, Automatics, Blades, Clubs, Dodge, Exotic Melee Weapon, Exotic Ranged Weapon, Heavy Weapons, Longarms, Pistols, Throwing Weapons, and Unarmed Combat. All the hacking skills(including cybercombat) are technical active skills and thus cheep for an adept to improve.

I would personally suggest trying to find a way to increase your edge. I know it's expensive, but edge is one of the most useful statistics, especially for hackers who don't use their other abilities as much(and when edge can make the difference between turning off that drones machine gun this turn or gaining a few pounds of lead.)

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 4 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Normally, I would agree about the Edge, but he has the Unlucky negative quality.

+Quote Post
Duke_The_Dwarf
post Oct 4 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #7

Target

QUOTE (Glyph @ Oct 4 2008, 01:48 PM) *
but he has the Unlucky negative quality.

Ok So I made some Changes to my initial character.. I lowered Magic Down to 5. Then taking out the Unlucky Negative Trait, and adding in Adiction Gambling (5), and Sensitve System (15). Then I made some adjustments to my powers taking out one of my Improved Ablities (Computer), and Multi_tasking.

I was able to increase Edge to 4 and get an additional Contact.

I think this is pretty cool. Thanks again guys

+Quote Post
Duke_The_Dwarf
post Oct 5 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #8

Target

any other suggestions?

+Quote Post
gtjormungand
post Oct 5 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 16,182

QUOTE (Glyph @ Oct 4 2008, 08:08 AM) *
You might consider replacing gymnastics with dodge, though. Gymnastics dodge can only be used in melee combat for full defense, and even then, someone using dodge for full defense in melee gets to roll their dodge twice, compared to once for gymnastics. And dodge can be used for normal melee defense, too. Gymnastics dodge is as good as dodge for ranged combat, but it can really only replace dodge for people who also have a melee skill (so that they can block or parry for melee defense) - it is not as good as dodge purely on its own. So I would only keep gymnastics if you plan on getting a melee skill in the near future.

Gymnastic Dodge can be used against both Ranged and Melee attacks. The only thing that the Dodge skill has going for it is that you can specialize in a type of defense. It's easier to get bonuses for Gymnastics.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 5 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Duke_The_Dwarf @ Oct 5 2008, 10:48 AM) *
any other suggestions?

The character looks good, but the math is slightly off. I get Attributes: 190 plus Special Attributes: 60 plus Qualities: (-30) plus Skills: 154 plus Resources: 17 plus Contacts: 11 equals 402. So you might want to drop a specialization or lower a contact rating.

QUOTE (gtjormungand @ Oct 5 2008, 11:21 AM) *
Gymnastic Dodge can be used against both Ranged and Melee attacks. The only thing that the Dodge skill has going for it is that you can specialize in a type of defense. It's easier to get bonuses for Gymnastics.

As the post you quoted stated, gymnastics can only be used for full defense against melee attacks, not regular melee defense. Even for melee full defense, it is still only half as effective (Reaction plus gymnastics as opposed to Reaction plus dodge plus dodge).

Gymnastics is exactly the same for full defense against ranged attacks (normal ranged defense doesn't use either skill), which is why it is a good option IF you also have a melee skill for blocking or parrying melee attacks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.