> New to shadowrun, and a question about the rules
KunoNoOni
post Oct 5 2008, 03:27 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,425

Greetings and Salutations all!

Every Saturday I play D&D with a group of friends from work. The DM stated that he would love to play shadowrun again, having not played it in many years. I checked online and downloaded the quickstart guide for players and GM. Last night we played but had some questions. Let me setup the situation and please tell me if we did it right.

player 1 is attacking player 2. player 1 is firing an Ares Predator IV, which does 5P damage. he rolls the dice and gets 4 hits. player 2 is wearing Armor Jacket (8/6). he rolls his reaction but does not get any hits. he rolls to see how much damage he takes and didn't get any hits again. so player 1 got 4 hits plus the 5 damage equals 9 total damage on player 2.

Is this above situation correct?

KunoNoOni
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Oct 5 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

yes

+Quote Post
reepneep
post Oct 5 2008, 03:42 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,951

That sounds right. The real question is how the hell did he get no hits with Reaction, Ballistic Armor and Body?

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Oct 5 2008, 03:50 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

The real question is how the hell did he get no hits with Reaction, Ballistic Armor and Body?

Probability allows for it even if the chance is very low.

+Quote Post
reepneep
post Oct 5 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,951

Given an average reaction and body of 3, the odds of getting no hits is 0.45%. I guess its not that bad. Still makes you wonder.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Oct 5 2008, 04:02 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Do your odds - using a Body 3 - account for the reduction to Reaction from an armor rating of 8?

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Oct 5 2008, 04:29 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

As others have said, that is correct. I will go ahead and provide a breakdown of how it works, in case you get confused with situations where the defender gets Hits.

Attacker: Roll attack pool. Determine Hits.
Defender: Roll defense pool. Determine Hits.

Subtract Defenders Hits from Attackers Hits. If reduced to 0 or below, the attack misses. Otherwise, continue.

Attacker: Add Net Hits to base Damage Value to determine final DV.
Defender: Roll resistance pool. Reduce final DV by Hits. Take remaining DV.

Another note: If the modified Damage Value (Base DV + Net Hits + Called Shot) is greater than the modified Armor Value (Armor +/- AP), the attack does Physical damage. If the modified DV is equal to or less than the modified AV, the attack does Stun damage. If a weapon is listed as doing Stun damage (such as Gel Rounds), it always does Stun, regardless of the opposing AV.

Damage modifications from narrow Burst/Automatic fire do not increase the modified DV for the purposes of determining if damage is Physical or Stun.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Oct 5 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (reepneep @ Oct 4 2008, 09:54 PM) *
Given an average reaction and body of 3, the odds of getting no hits is 0.45%. I guess its not that bad. Still makes you wonder.

It's possible. When you're staring at the result, no matter how improbable it was to happen, well, there it is. Kinda like the roll I got while acting as GM for the Tourney at this past Gen Con: dice pool of 16, got 14 ones.

To the original poster: have you had a chance to check out the cheat sheets yet?

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 5 2008, 05:00 AM
Post #9

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Like I mentioned in another thread: Today, while GMing Parliament of Thieves, I rolled no less than *six* critical fumbles. It was kinda ugly.

+Quote Post
KunoNoOni
post Oct 5 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 16,425

Well thank you all for your replies. So we did do it right, I thought it we did something wrong as the quick start adventure was over after only 1 round of combat. Once I get paid I'm gonna pickup the 4th edition rule book. Thank you all again for clearing this up for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh, one more thing... Cheat sheets? never heard of them... are they like cliff notes for shadowrun?

KunoNoOni

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 5 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #11

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

DonĀ“t know what cliff notes are, but the "cheat sheets" in Aarons post is a link. Check them out, they are good.

+Quote Post
Beetle
post Oct 5 2008, 01:47 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,883

QUOTE (KunoNoOni @ Oct 5 2008, 07:19 AM) *
Well thank you all for your replies. So we did do it right, I thought it we did something wrong as the quick start adventure was over after only 1 round of combat. Once I get paid I'm gonna pickup the 4th edition rule book. Thank you all again for clearing this up for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh, one more thing... Cheat sheets? never heard of them... are they like cliff notes for shadowrun?

KunoNoOni

Yes they're like Cliff's Notes for Shadowrun. They're a really great resource for new players. Aaron's site is full of great things. I highly recommend the Hacker Cards as a must have for any hacker type character or GM.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.