IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Control Thoughts, How much is being controlled, really?
Seidaku
post Dec 26 2003, 08:02 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,489

I'd appreciate some clarification on what exactly 'Control Thoughts' does. Though the spell description states that you may use a simple action to force the target to do something, it doesn't really elaborate on what this entails.

Does the target know he is being manipulated? If this is the case, why use Control Thoughts instead of Control Actions? To avoid the target number increases for the subject's actions?

What constitutes "deep rooted opposition" ? This seems far too vague, and highly dependant upon how nice one's GM is. While one might say "You're making him shoot his best friend? Well, ok, since he DOES have a gun.." another could just as easily rule "You want him to look the other direction? Well, let's see if you can beat him in a willpower test.."

What constitutes "the caster being present" ? Does this mean LOS? Sense range? How would you give the subject orders without being present? Does the spell somehow give you some idea of what the subject is thinking? Otherwise it would be hard to give the subject meaningful commands without 'being present' ...

Does the subject remember that he was being controlled? This would, again, suggest that Control Thoughts is only moderately better than Control Actions, and arguably worse due to the ability to resist the control.

I don't know if there are any 'official' answers to these questions, unfortunately, but please do let me know if there are. This sounds like a very fun spell, but based on the very vague text, it almost certainly will be worthless in my group. (Our GM is very keen on preventing any possible abuse of the rules, after experiencing some unfortunate incidents in the past.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Dec 26 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Control thoughts allows you to make the target use their skills, instead of just trying to move their limbs. At GM discretion, an action is sufficiently unpleasant of an idea that the victim gets to roll willpower again.
The problem with mind altering magic is that each mind has different priorities (although some look remarkably similar), so one person may be seriously opposed to shooting his brother, whilst another won't even roll for that command.

I know influence has no bright announcement that a person is influenced (although assensing can tell you), they just think that the instructions are "really good ideas" and usually follow them. I expect control thoughts to be the same, but the text may clarify.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Dec 27 2003, 01:18 AM
Post #3

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

QUOTE (Seidaku)
Does the target know he is being manipulated?
In our campaign, the GMs agree that the target isn't aware of the manipulation while being controlled, as he is forced to be thinking of other things.

QUOTE (Seidaku)
What constitutes "the caster being present" ?  Does this mean LOS?  Sense range?
Your GM can decide if it is LOS or some smaller distance. One possible choice would be to use the distance out to which Spell Defense works (100 meters x Magic Attribute).

QUOTE (Seidaku)
How would you give the subject orders without being present?  Does the spell somehow give you some idea of what the subject is thinking? Otherwise it would be hard to give the subject meaningful commands without 'being present' ...
Commands are given mentally, and our team does not allow the caster to read the thoughts of the subject. Indeed, these limits do make it hard to give meaningful commands without being present.

QUOTE (Seidaku)
Does the subject remember that he was being controlled?
We play that the subject indeed remembers his or her thoughts, and his or her actions. They may or may not figure out that they were controlled, depending upon their familiarity with magic and whether those thoughts/actions were abnormal for them. Some may seek psychiatric help after being controlled.

+Quote Post
Dingus_McGee
post Dec 27 2003, 01:19 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 1,511

The difference between Influence and Control Thoughts is really an issue of time.

If I was going to try and get into Building A, and I knew one of the guards like to frequent a nearby bar after work, I could find him and cast Influence to give him the idea to run out to his car or go look for someone instead of standing watch or something similar next time he goes on duty. (i.e., tomorrow or the day after.)

If you just showed up at Building A, however, and there is a guard you didn't anticipate, you could cast Control Thoughts and make him think you work there, you are trustworthy, etc. Think Obi-Wan convincing the Storm Trooper that he didn't need to see his identification....

One doesn't require you to interact with the target at all (Influence) and the other may or may not, depepnding on what you tell the target to think/believe. (Control Thoughts)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.