IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many of you have seen SoLA?, or is it like that 1st ed UB file?
Snow_Fox
post Oct 20 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,221

Seriously. Shadows of Latin America has become a sort of mystery file floating around in referes that I seem to remember even gets mentioned in some book. I'm reminded of the early days of SR before the UB was exposed where there were hinted at refernces to a secret UB file 'real horror trid stuff chummers'.

So how many of us have actually seen the file? I know I haven't and I'd love to.

do we know why it was never published or won't ever be?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 20 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

All I know for certain is that it's supposed to be available for download when Holostreets comes out. Of course, we've been waiting on Holostreets for five years or so....

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Oct 20 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

IIRC SoLA was never completed as a polished book, supposed to be released polished up on Holostreets (a website that hasn't been realized as of this date). Developers have always said someday, when time allows and the stars are right we may one day see SoLA. Until then you'll know more when we know more is the party line.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 20 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I've seen it. I actually have the finished chapters on my harddrive. SoLA was where I got my start freelancing for Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 20 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 185

Shadows of Latin America was in development to be released shortly before System Failure and SR4. Several problems arose towards the end of development that caused serious delays. These delays meant it was unrealistic to attempt to release it before either of those books came out, so development was paused. Following the release of SR4 we decided it would be counterproductive and would send the wrong message to put out an SR3 book. However, since we did/do have the final drafts for the book exist on file, rather than throw away the concept we decided it would be a nice project to release under our planned Holostreets subscription service. Unfortunately FanPro's situation, the change-over to Catalyst and numerous license issues with e-rights that require Wizkids to get their house in order following their parent company's buyout have delayed Holostreets. Having since renewed our SR license and been granted approval to explore a number of additional options with the property (ie. novels, merchandise, e-rights, etc, etc) things are starting to change. Catalyst will be releasing a number of ebooks in upcoming months (not pdf copies of print books, but rather ebook exclusive releases) to test the waters for a future Holostreets subscription service.

All that said, very few people aside from the authors, core freelancers, and the developers have seen any SoLA drafts. They exist and I have them on my HD waiting for the appropriate opportunity to release them. SoLA was actually my first "official" developer gig (SoE didn't count) and I'd very much like to see it published some time.

Like Shadows of Europe, the book was largely written by natives with Demonseed Elite, Ancient History (which is why he has copies), Jong (who drove the original project), and myself writing some of the missing chapters. As I mentioned above the partially edited drafts exist but they are not publically available and never have been to the best of my knowledge.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Oct 20 2008, 03:23 PM
Post #6

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

I am an archaeologist who has worked in Mexico and Peru. I've come across some interesting stories and myths. I would really like to see this document some day.

Peter

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Oct 20 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 20 2008, 11:21 AM) *
Catalyst will be releasing a number of ebooks in upcoming months (not pdf copies of print books, but rather ebook exclusive releases) to test the waters for a future Holostreets subscription service.

OK, here's my questions;

#1: "ebook exclusives"? What does this entail? will I be able to save it to my own harddrive or CD-Rom for back-up?
(Yes, I know what an E-Book is, tyvm)

#2: If Holostreets does become a reality, what subscription type will it be, free or pay (if pay it should be at least under $5 US)?

#3: What e-books will Catalyst be releasing?

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Oct 20 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

IIRC one of upcoming e-books some additional material connected to Street Magic.

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Oct 20 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #9

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

In Sept. chat I think they mentioned some New York material.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Oct 20 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Oct 20 2008, 12:52 PM) *
#3: What e-books will Catalyst be releasing?

Peter Taylor: Okay we're running out of time here so I'm just going to quickly go over the ebooks. Our first ebook release will be Digital Grimoire. This is a plug in for Street Magic and adds a lot of bonus material and some examples that we couldn't fit in the actual book. Digital Grimoire will be followed by the first three adventures in the NYC arc of SR:M. For which we will also be releasing a multi-volume NYC setting ebook. Future ebooks will fit a theme and like Digital Grimoire will also complement existing core books none of the material therein will be essential but they will be great bonus material for those who liked the corebooks and want more variety.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 20 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #11

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Of course, System Failure was a SR3 book, and released after SR4 hit the shelves....

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Oct 20 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

By sixty days. I don't think that's a huge time frame in the grand scheme of things. SR4 has been out for exactly three years at this point.

+Quote Post
The Exiled V.2.0
post Oct 21 2008, 04:12 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 16,518

If the authors of the various sections became convinced that SoLA would never officially see the light of day, could it possibly be put up for grabs as a PDF? I'm thinking of the way Asia Ascendant was released as an 'unofficial sourcebook' for Aeon Trinity after that line was closed down by WW.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 21 2008, 04:25 AM
Post #14

Runner

Yes, that is definitely a possibility. But at that point it would be doomed to remain unofficial and they would forfeit any potential payment (small though it may be) for their work.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 21 2008, 04:36 AM
Post #15

Grand Master of Run-Fu

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Oct 20 2008, 02:00 PM) *
By sixty days. I don't think that's a huge time frame in the grand scheme of things. SR4 has been out for exactly three years at this point.

I think they could have managed to release SoLA in those 60 days if they had tried.

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Oct 21 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

(No offense to them, but I think we need to organize a run against AH and/or Syn, and aquire their hd's...)

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 21 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Oct 20 2008, 12:52 PM) *
#1: "ebook exclusives"? What does this entail? will I be able to save it to my own harddrive or CD-Rom for back-up?

Of course; just like every other ebook we sell [or allow another vendor to sell.]

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 21 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 21 2008, 12:36 AM) *
I think they could have managed to release SoLA in those 60 days if they had tried.

I was there, Cain. With the resources FanPro had available at the time, there was no way they could have done it.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Oct 21 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 20 2008, 10:43 PM) *
Of course, System Failure was a SR3 book, and released after SR4 hit the shelves....

Here in Germany Systemausfall was released as a SR4 book, complete with SR4 rules/stats and layout...

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Oct 21 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 21 2008, 04:57 AM) *
Of course; just like every other ebook we sell [or allow another vendor to sell.]

An e-book that Catalyst publishes is synonymous with the books sold in PDF format through BattleCorps, correct? I'm not going to need any other software outside of Adobe Acrobat Reader to be able to use an e-book, yes?

Sorry if that seems like a silly question but I work in the software industry. One vendor's "X" is another vendor's "Y" so I like to be square on what people are talking about.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 21 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #21

Grand Master of Run-Fu

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 21 2008, 01:00 AM) *
I was there, Cain. With the resources FanPro had available at the time, there was no way they could have done it.

Maybe not immediately, but the precedent was set for releasing SR3 books right next to the SR4 release, including one afterwards. I think it was SoA that was released a few weeks before SR4 hit the shelves? Since I don't know how RPG publishing works, how long would it have taken to get SoLA from its finished stage to the printers?

QUOTE (MYST1C @ Oct 21 2008, 02:06 AM) *
Here in Germany Systemausfall was released as a SR4 book, complete with SR4 rules/stats and layout...

It was released as a SR3 book here, complete with SR3 stats. I suspect the German translators took the time to transfer everything to the new system.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 21 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Oct 21 2008, 10:30 AM) *
An e-book that Catalyst publishes is synonymous with the books sold in PDF format through BattleCorps, correct? I'm not going to need any other software outside of Adobe Acrobat Reader to be able to use an e-book, yes?

Yes.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 21 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 21 2008, 12:40 PM) *
Maybe not immediately, but the precedent was set for releasing SR3 books right next to the SR4 release, including one afterwards.

Yes. A book that was *directly* related to the SR3 -> SR4 transition.

Since I don't know how RPG publishing works, how long would it have taken to get SoLA from its finished stage to the printers?

haha. That's a funnily worded question, in light of your "release in 60 days" -- like the time the book gets to the *printers* actually matters to you.

Look at FanPro's publication history from 2005 to the time they stopped publishing Shadowrun. Unless they put ultra-high priority on it and dropped pretty much everything to get it done, it would not be possible to release it in 60 days.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 21 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #24

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Look at FanPro's publication history from 2005 to the time they stopped publishing Shadowrun. Unless they put ultra-high priority on it and dropped pretty much everything to get it done, it would not be possible to release it in 60 days.

First of all, sorry if I offended.

Second, "to the printers" was a euphemism. I know time from the printers to the shelves is basically random, and out of your hands.

Third, you didn't answer the question. Maybe it wouldn't have been possible to release in 60 days, but how long would it take for a release? In other words, how finished is/was SoLA?

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 21 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #25

Runner

SoLA is/was half-edited. It still requires/required a further developer edit. It was not ready to go into layout, and it had no artwork even assigned, let alone completed. So, no, there was no way it would have been released in 60 days or 90 for that matter. And we were commited to SR4 by then anyway.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.