2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can a Sasquatch use commanding voice?, for more than pissing somebody off
crash2029
post Oct 30 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

I'm creating a Sasquatch investigator/face. He is an adept, and I reasoned that kinesics would be useful as communication is far more than vocal manipulations. Commanding voice, however, would be useful but I am having difficulty rationalizing how a Sasquatch could use it for more than rudimentary gestures. The description [SM p.176] states that the target and speaker must understand and be able to hear the same language. Now I can buy using sign language for commanding voice, however most people do not know ASL. Since Sasquatch cannot understand spoken language, while they could doubtlessly mimic the sounds, I would not allow one to command in such a medium. So, apart from the odd person who understands ASL, the Sasquatch has to use a device to translate and as such the magical command would be transmitted through a technological interface and therefore would lose potency. So basically what I want to know is what my fellow DSF'ers think anout a Sasquatch using commanding voice.

p.s. I do apologize for the run on sentences and bad grammar and formatting. I'm having trouble maintaining coherent thoughts and sentences, and request that you bear with me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kurious
post Oct 30 2008, 01:10 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,312

I don't see it.

I really don't think commanding voice and sasquatches mix in any way. 8/

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 30 2008, 01:17 AM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

At best, he would achieve the 'stand around in confusion' type effect, as the target would not be able to comprehend the Sasquatch's command, and therefore be unable to obey. I wouldn't allow the Power to be used in conjunction with translating technology.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 30 2008, 01:19 AM
Post #4

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Doesn't the power expressly state that it cannot be combined with technological enhancement?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 30 2008, 01:33 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Not in so many words ...

QUOTE (Street Magic pg. 176)
It has no effect when the voice is amplified or broadcast via technological means (eg. wireless transmission, loudspeaker, etc).

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 30 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Using a device to translate the sasquatch's voice and transmit it as computer-generated speech would definitely fall under the "broadcast" part of it - the speech part wouldn't even be the sasquatch's voice. There really isn't any way to weasel around it - the power is vocal, and requires the target to be able to understand the language of the speaker. A sasquatch can't use that power.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 30 2008, 02:45 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Man, imagine how much fun it would be to have a gesture-based variant of this power. * pictures the sasaquatch adept would give the mayor the finger and suddenly the whole campaign going R-rated* Okay, maybe not.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Oct 30 2008, 03:34 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

That's basically what I figured. Thanks, guys.

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Oct 30 2008, 05:48 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

Um... if Sasquatch's can't talk why do you want him to be a face? I just don't see it happening since they can't ever speak to anyone. So over an intercom they are boned, over the matrix they are boned, and if you don't have a camera feed on it then your boned. Also I think someone would quickly get fed up with the 20 questions or that game where you can only gesture what you want (shit I can't believe I forgot the name of it.) Ok... so two words.... sounds like... big hands that look like you could crush my skull with. Um... ok no thats not it... hum...

It's a sasquatch man a sasquatch and aren't they also infected HMVV orcs? Man I don't see how someone could have a "face" character with that going for them.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 30 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Most of the sasquatch entry seems to be about how they can use linguisofts, matrix freeware, and an image link to communicate with others without too many difficulties. I agree, though, that a sasquatch investigator/face is still unusual.

But they aren't HMVV-infected orks. You're thinking about wendigos. Very different critters.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Oct 30 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 29 2008, 09:19 PM) *
Doesn't the power expressly state that it cannot be combined with technological enhancement?

So he has to be able to channel the power without the weirding module?

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Oct 30 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

I figure on him using trodes + sim module + linguasoft for standard communication. Either that or AR gloves + linguasoft for outgoing and image link + linguasoft for incoming. And I know it is an unusual combination, that is why it's a roleplaying challenge. He is going to be semi-legit, ala "The Forever Drug."

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Oct 31 2008, 04:44 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

Commanding Whistle maybe?

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Oct 31 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Oct 30 2008, 02:52 PM) *
So he has to be able to channel the power without the weirding module?

Moadib no longer needs the weirding module.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Oct 31 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

I am glad someone got it.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 31 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

A reference to Dune isn't exactly something terribly obsure. I am sure that a lot of people 'got it'.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Oct 31 2008, 07:33 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

I didn't.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Nov 1 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

Neither I did.
I've seen the italian version and it was called "modulo estraninte" or something like that.
Never got the reason of its name and I don't get why it's "weirding" in english.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 3 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 29 2008, 09:45 PM) *
Man, imagine how much fun it would be to have a gesture-based variant of this power. * pictures the sasaquatch adept would give the mayor the finger and suddenly the whole campaign going R-rated* Okay, maybe not.

I found this suggestion to be almost hysterically amusing. I'm still laughing at my desk over it.

Might have to put it up next to Vera & the Pits of Doom (from In Living Color).

I can just imagine the scenario title...

The Finger that started WW3.
Warfinger
The Bird and Bombs

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 3 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Nov 1 2008, 11:35 AM) *
Neither I did.
I've seen the italian version and it was called "modulo estraninte" or something like that.
Never got the reason of its name and I don't get why it's "weirding" in english.

The "Wierding Way"...

In English, the word 'wierd' is both a noun and adjective. Most people however only know it as an adjective. They are seldom taught the noun usage.

In fantasy / fable / mythic writings, a wierd is typically some sort of magical effect or charm. It's something done in some manner that is not understood by the observer.

Now bring that over to Dune. The Benne Gesserit were very picky about who they taught the "Wierding Way" to as it was something most people could learn given time and inclination. The members of the Sisterhood were always taught it. Lady Jessica broke several of the Order's rules and mandates (giving Leto a boy instead of a girl, teaching Paul how they fight, etc). But in a Dune sense, the ways & teachings of how the Sisters fought were hidden from the general populace.

As we know, anything that is odd or unusual AND exhibits almost magical qualities (like the Benne Gesserit fighting style), is typically referred to as 'wierd'. Thus over time and language drift, it would conceivably become known as the 'Wierding Way'.

Long story short, the word 'wierd' is just another way of saying a magical spell / effect / charm. The definition varies based on context. It's not like the English language doesn't have a bunch of words that all mean the same thing (Quantity/Amount as another example).

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Nov 3 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #21

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I'd say that no, commanding voice would not work with ASL. It states the target must hear and understand... last I checked, you don't hear ASL, you see it.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Nov 3 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Seeing as Sasquatch naturally communicate through gesture as a native medium I was willing to accept that a Sasquatch could utilize communication based powers through such a medium.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Nov 3 2008, 08:16 PM
Post #23

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

For how limited in effectivness it'd be, go for it, just realize its a house rule. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Nov 4 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (darthmord @ Nov 3 2008, 08:28 PM) *
The "Wierding Way"...

In English, the word 'wierd' is both a noun and adjective. Most people however only know it as an adjective. They are seldom taught the noun usage.

In fantasy / fable / mythic writings, a wierd is typically some sort of magical effect or charm. It's something done in some manner that is not understood by the observer.

Now bring that over to Dune. The Benne Gesserit were very picky about who they taught the "Wierding Way" to as it was something most people could learn given time and inclination. The members of the Sisterhood were always taught it. Lady Jessica broke several of the Order's rules and mandates (giving Leto a boy instead of a girl, teaching Paul how they fight, etc). But in a Dune sense, the ways & teachings of how the Sisters fought were hidden from the general populace.

As we know, anything that is odd or unusual AND exhibits almost magical qualities (like the Benne Gesserit fighting style), is typically referred to as 'wierd'. Thus over time and language drift, it would conceivably become known as the 'Wierding Way'.

Long story short, the word 'wierd' is just another way of saying a magical spell / effect / charm. The definition varies based on context. It's not like the English language doesn't have a bunch of words that all mean the same thing (Quantity/Amount as another example).

Thanks alot, it's always good learning new things.
But just out of curiosity, when do the Benne Gesseri fight in Dune? For what I'm able to recall they are more like advisors/manipulators/spy/inquisitors, they seemed much more adept to information gathering and subtle manipulation then combat. Even though I admit that after the plane-crash in the desert, when they meet the Fremens (or however is written in english) Jessica used some nasty grapple.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Nov 4 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

For the sasquatch using commanding vioce, that power is basicaly based on modulating the voice to make a message particulary clear and incisive; how can a sasquatch, who doesn't untherstand voice as a form of comunication, use it? (As a side note I've always thought that this quirk is in for balance reasons and is a rather hamfisted way to handle the issues that mimicry raises).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.