Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bizarre Food Brand Ideas, Needs more NERPS
hyzmarca
post Nov 19 2008, 04:22 AM
Post #1

Midnight Toker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,456

So, at this moment, I'm having a rather strong craving for freeze-dried ice-cream, commonly marketed as astronaut ice cream, since it was originally developed for taking into space. (Incidentally, astronauts don't actually eat freeze-dried ice cream, preferring the real thing, which is still perfectly edible in zero-g environments).

So, this got me thingking about what astronaut food will be like in 2070, and somehow that train of thought led me to an odd idea.

Clone flesh and blood of famous Astronauts, add artificial flavors, freeze dry it, and market it as a premium snack food under the "astronaut food" label. Made with real astronaut.

You could have so many different varieties. Electric Buzz Aldrin, Blueberry Neil Armstrong, Coco John Glenn, and so much more.

Asside from the total insanity and high cost of this luxury food item, I have only two concerns. The freeze drying process kills microorgnisms so it is safe for metahumans to eat raw, but I must wonder if the freeze-drying process count as cooking (it's totally raw, but all the moisture is removed) for the purposes of ghoul consumption. And, of course, I must also wonder if vampires can sustain themselves with such dehydrated blood. Or would they have to mix it with water?

You see, the idea is to create a very expensive snack food that everyone of all ages and all HMHVV statuses can enjoy equally.

And, of course, it does need more NERPS.

I'm also hoping to get some more snack food ideas and other general NERPS.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 19 2008, 04:54 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Warren Ellis called, he wants his idea back. But he'll give you a complementary bucket of caribou eyes.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 19 2008, 05:12 AM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 18 2008, 11:54 PM) *
Warren Ellis called, he wants his idea back. But he'll give you a complementary bucket of caribou eyes.

You know. I never actually read Transmetropolitan. I will take those caribou eyes, however.

But, in your professional opinion, is freeze drying okay for ghouls and vamps, or not?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 19 2008, 05:18 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Some of 'em have delicate stomachs. I'm not sure I'd consider freeze-drying "cooking" per se, but it would definitely be "processing." Maybe some sort of junk food for the kids that'll give 'em a tummyache later.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Nov 19 2008, 06:59 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

Ghouls? See AH above. Vamps? No. They need essence. Blood is just their carrier for essence. Freeze dried blood? Not so much essence. Essence. Essence-essence essential, essentially.

+Quote Post
Zombayz
post Nov 19 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,683

Uhhh... Da9iel, I think you just broke my brain...

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Nov 19 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Da9iel @ Nov 19 2008, 07:59 AM) *
Ghouls? See AH above. Vamps? No. They need essence. Blood is just their carrier for essence. Freeze dried blood? Not so much essence. Essence. Essence-essence essential, essentially.

In SR4, they also have a dietary requirement for metahuman blood along with that.
Of course, they also need to drain Essence, but they need a certain amount of blood each week or they just starve, even if they have enough Essence left.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 19 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 18 2008, 11:22 PM) *
(Incidentally, astronauts don't actually eat freeze-dried ice cream, preferring the real thing, which is still perfectly edible in zero-g environments).

That's crazy talk. When I was a kid I considered becoming an astronaut JUST for the ice cream.

That said, I'm pretty sure a ghoul would not get any real sustenance from freeze-dried astronaut. That's pretty hard-core processing. I'm of the opinion that ghouls benefit from the fact that the food is fairly natural (I'm not aware of any other creature which can eat meat raw, but not cooked, so I'm assuming that it's something more magical, and what a gently applied flame ruins, I'm pretty sure liquid nitrogen would annihilate.)

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Nov 20 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

Hmmm, so how long before some Voodoun priest manages to manufacture Bottled Essence?

Ahhhh, Gelfling...

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Nov 20 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I feel that the freeze-drying the cloned flesh would disperse the Essence count & make the food unappetising to the reciever. But I'd go with what AH said.

Now I'm getting a jones for freeze-dried ice-cream. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Nov 22 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,618

QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE @ Nov 20 2008, 10:55 AM) *
Ahhh, Gelfling...

Congratulations! For finding a way to get a Dark Crystal quote in, you win one internets!

Ahem.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Nov 25 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

Yay!

If you consume enough Irn Bru and chocolate, these flashes of inspiration compile exponentially...

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 28 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I'm thinking vampire chocolates-with a creamy essence filling

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Nov 30 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

Astro pops

Cosmo Cubes

Apollo 13's - You enjoyed their famous mission now enjoy them as a famous vacuum packed limited edition meal! -

Armstrong - He was the first man on the moon now have him be the first thing walking over your taste buds in the morning! Armstrong provides that sensory pleasure overload and will give you a boost with your body will never forget! -

Nimoy Ahoy! - Soy taste sensation fortified with your favorite Vulcan! -

Ghoul bites - Bring the bite back to them -

Drop bears - The satisfying trea... -

Dunkies Dinner Delight - Flame broiled! -

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.