IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gene therapy and Move By Wire, Immunity to TLE?
Lilt
post Dec 31 2003, 04:04 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,032

Do people think that it might be possible to use Genetic therapy to remove some of the disadvantages associated with Move By Wire Reflexes? I was thinking that it should be possible to use cellular repair (p26, SOTA2063) to remove the possibility of TLE-x. It could possibly come under the 'remove flaws' category and under the immunisation section on P29 it states that cellular repair can be used to provide immunisation against neurotoxins (my logic being that it can do more than just genetically correct).

Also, as bioware and cyberware equivalents exist, don't you think it should be possible to create attribute-stress removing nanoware? I suppose gene therapy might be able to do something similar, at-least extending the periods between stress checks, but Quickness-Regenerator and Reaction-Regenerator nanite systems would be theoretically possible. It could be applied as a Cyberware Regenerator to the MBW system but I don't think that's entierly appropriate.

Just some ideas.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Dec 31 2003, 04:08 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

TLE-x? :? :? :?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 31 2003, 04:27 AM
Post #3

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

ld say that it could fix TLE-X and CSSS but theres no reason on earth it could prevent it from the description of the processes.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Dec 31 2003, 04:28 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

TLE-x is a sort of nerve disease inflicted by the continous nerve stimulation created by the move-by-wire.

I would think a lot od health problems could be cured by genetherapy, biotech, and nanotech. Like how hard would it be to remove cancer with nonites or to clear blocked arteries? Nanites is SR are already used to connect nerves to cyberware, so why couldn't they repair nerve damage?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 31 2003, 04:32 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

TLE-x = Temporal Lobe Epilepsy Syndrome with Complications.

TLE-x isn't a toxin or disease of any sort, nor is it a condition which one is normally susceptible to. Gene Therapy may correct TLE-x with GM approval (as the alternative is a surgical procedure to remove a bit of brain tissue.)

The problem with any sort of nanite-repair system is that A Move-by-Wire system puts the cybered individual in a constant seizure where Stress accumulates automatically. Therefore any repair system would be constantly working to repair the damage. Even with a specialized nanite hive, I think that would be a tall order, and you'd need regular and constant replacement material.

On a side note, been reading Tails You Lose recently?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 31 2003, 04:38 AM
Post #6

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Too extensive damage or the constant strain of the MBW negates the healing effect of gene therapy?

I think for gene therapy to work, you'll first have to remove the cause of the problem first. Let's say for instance... the charactor is on Borrowed Time, he's down with cancer for no other reason then he's an unlucky slitch who has breathed too much second hand smoke. Well in this case, I think gene therapy works. But if the guy is a cyber zombie with cancer, I think unless the guy stops being a zombie, the gene therapy is going to do zilch for him.

Unless gene therapy is treating the cause of the problem, it is useless to treat only the symptoms.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Dec 31 2003, 04:39 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

I have read it. That wasn't what gave me the idea though. It was reading the immunisation section where it was talking about Gene Therapy being able to immunise against Neurotoxins. I doubt that fits into the view that people have of Gene Therapy. It goes from fixing problems to making people above average. I was theorising that it could remove (or at-least lower) the succeptibility of the neurons to TLE-X.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 31 2003, 04:45 AM
Post #8

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Lilt)
I have read it. That wasn't what gave me the idea though. It was reading the immunisation section where it was talking about Gene Therapy being able to immunise against Neurotoxins. I doubt that fits into the view that people have of Gene Therapy. It goes from fixing problems to making people above average. I was theorising that it could remove (or at-least lower) the succeptibility of the neurons to TLE-X.

What you need is gene therapy that gives Regeneration because that's the only thing that'll grow back the part of the brain that's been Jello-ed.

Oops, just remembered... does regeneration work on head(deadly) wounds?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 31 2003, 04:47 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

The neurotoxin thing was a Gibson throwback; and can be rationalized by saying the gene therapy repairs the damage to the neurons and/or changes the genetic code to no longer be susceptible to the toxin (telling them to create specific antibodies or antitoxins, etc.)

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Dec 31 2003, 04:51 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

I would think it was completely possible for gene therapy to regrow/repair brain tissue. If it can repair damage done by neurotoxins then surely it can re-grow/repair neurons to some extent. It could help in a coupple of aspects as it is: It could re-grow the parts of the brain that were removed to fix the TLE-X, or it could just repair them straight-off.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Dec 31 2003, 04:52 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Ancient History)
The neurotoxin thing was a Gibson throwback; and can be rationalized by saying the gene therapy repairs the damage to the neurons and/or changes the genetic code to no longer be susceptible to the toxin (telling them to create specific antibodies or antitoxins, etc.)

Gibson throwback? You lost me...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 31 2003, 05:04 AM
Post #12

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Lilt)
I would think it was completely possible for gene therapy to regrow/repair brain tissue. If it can repair damage done by neurotoxins then surely it can re-grow/repair neurons to some extent. It could help in a coupple of aspects as it is: It could re-grow the parts of the brain that were removed to fix the TLE-X, or it could just repair them straight-off.

Yes, I agree that gene therapy can help TLE-X but first take the damned MBW out first or else the MBW is going to cause a relapse.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Dec 31 2003, 05:07 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

QUOTE (Lilt)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 31 2003, 04:47 AM)

Gibson throwback? You lost me...

In "Neuromancer," the protagonist case had his decking abilities crippled by his ex-employers, who used a Russian wartime neurotoxin to wreck his nervous system.

Just a useful snippet from a resident geek. :D

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Dec 31 2003, 05:09 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

Which you could treat again, correct?

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Dec 31 2003, 06:22 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

Yes, it was treated again by surgeons. Course his new employers put it in him in timed capsules, to make sure he did his job...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.