Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hacking a PAN
KunoNoOni
post Dec 5 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,425

I apologize beforehand if this seems like a noob question, but I was curious if it was possible to hack into a PAN that is in hidden status. What about a PAN that is Hidden and has an Encrypt and a Databomb? The book doesn't really say much about it only that in Hidden mode no one can see it unless you call them or they have your access code. so by todays standards I can only assumes its like WEP encryption with the Hide SSID turned on.

KunoNoOni
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Dec 5 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

The first step is finding the hidden node. See p. 225 SR4 Detecting Wireless Nodes.

Electronic Warfare + Scan (4) test is probably what you can assume in this case if you can see the target and scan that specific target for a hidden PAN.

Looking for hidden nodes randomly is much tougher.

+Quote Post
Namelessjoe
post Dec 5 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 16,532

if i remeber correctly you can find them with electronic warfare and the scan prog then if you find it its just like normal hacking and if they have encript then you decrypt it or what ever you need to do .... then it goes boomb from the databomb if you mess up then right not phisically mind you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT Dire Radiant beet me to it

+Quote Post
TheOOB
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

You can use the scan program to find hidden nodes, and once you have found them you can hack them just like anything else. It's just difficult and time consuming if you don't know what node you are looking for.

Encrypt and data bomb don't prevent you from hacking into a node, but they can protect files and objects inside of the node.

EDIT: Seems I'm number three

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
Post #5

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hidden SSID may be correct. even tho you know its there, you have to go look for it within the local cloud of radio traffic, it just is easier to do then looking for a hidden node blindly...

encrypt dont add much to that, but it adds another layer to get thru before access is gained.

and databomb is kinda like tripwiring the door alongside locking it.

so maybe one can go like this:

hidden mode: door is camouflaged to look like the rest of the wall.

encryption: door have a extra, more complex, lock added on top of the one every door comes with.

databomb: the door is trapped, so that going in without first disconnecting the detonator will trigger some explosive or weapon aimed at the door.

+Quote Post
KunoNoOni
post Dec 5 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 16,425

I think I understand now, thanks for the replies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

KunoNoOni

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.