IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spirits of Man: Ghost or Not?
Are they Ghosts
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
WeaverMount
post Dec 5 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,309

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Dec 5 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Spirits of Man are whatever you need them to be.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Dec 5 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

That would depend on your tradition. A mage sees a spirit of man as a simple embodiment of mans will on the astral plane, while a shaman might summon their ancestor spirits to give them aid.

I would say however that it is impossible to summon a spirit who knows everything a dead person knew, you could get a spirit who has a knowledge skill(this person) but it would be ultimately incomplete, much like e-ghosts.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Dec 5 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

I think it would be fun that spirits of men are echoes of individuals or of traumatic events.

Some how the spirit in death lives on as malformed of energy in the astral, that hideous strength of something that cannot die.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 6 2008, 06:56 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

The Dresden Files approach: At one point Harry puts himself in an emotional near-death experiance to create the psychic disturbance to create a "ghost" with all the abilities and knowledge and personality of himself to help fight a badguy.

As to the poll, they both are and are not ghosts at the same time. Some spirits of Man are relections of personality idealisms, while others are completely convinced they themselves are deceased people.

Spirits are tricky like that.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 7 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

right, from a modern, new Age view we have the issue of never being able to know for sure. A spirit may offer itself up as the spirit of your late aunt May or the rigger you owed your life to, but there's no way to really know. Writing nearly a century ago the Irish ghost hunter Elliot O'Donnell wrote, disparaging the craze in seances, that he hoped in theggreat hereafter that spirits like Napoleon and Dickens had better things to do with their time than seances.

It may be that a spirit of man might have some of the essence, if I can use that as a non-rule term, of what made up someone, like a photograph or reflection or footprint, but not be the all that the person was. It would seem highly unlikely you'd get all that is someone but a spirit might ocnvincve you they are that person. you'll never know for sure.

+Quote Post
thepatriot
post Dec 8 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 2,314

The real question is: "How much does it matter?"

The rules are not specific on this question for several reasons (the least of which are, of course, religious implications) that could negatively affect gameplay. I use Spirits of Man in whatever way I need them, though I do not often allow players to summon great forms for any length of time unless they come up with good role-played or storyline reasons. I am also very careful about ally spirits... I have seen them abused in many ways on many occasions.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Dec 8 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Truly great people can impress their lives on the astral plane and linger on, joining the Kami, but most drift on the wind.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.