IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> We get signal?, No, nobody set up us the bomb.
KurenaiYami
post Dec 7 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,668

Hello again, back with more Matrix questions. This time, signal!

Relevant quote to my post: "Note that for two devices to communicate with each other (as opposed to one-way communication), the devices must be within the range of the weakest signal involved."

What actions require two-way communication? If I'm hacking a node, does its signal have to be able to reach my commlink? If my icon and another hacker's icon are doing battle on the node in somebody's Signal 0 Cyberarm (because we both really want that arm), do we both have to be within 3 meters of it?

There are probably a lot of other relevant actions I'm forgetting, but those are the ones that spring to mind immediately.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Dec 7 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Basically, unless otherwise noted, all actions require a two-way link. You have to subscribe to the node you are accessing, you send it data about what you are doing, and it sends you data about the contents of the node and how it reacts to you. About the only action that doesn't require two-way access is burst communication, where you send out message(usually encrypted) that anyone within your signal range can pick up if they are set up to receive those messages. This makes it so anyone can listen in on what you are saying if they pick it up and beat your encryption, but makes it impossible to know who you are talking to.

That said, you can leapfrog from node to node to get to your target, and if both of you are hooked up to the matrix then signal is largely redundant.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 7 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #3

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

QUOTE (KurenaiYami @ Dec 7 2008, 08:36 AM) *
What actions require two-way communication? If I'm hacking a node, does its signal have to be able to reach my commlink? If my icon and another hacker's icon are doing battle on the node in somebody's Signal 0 Cyberarm (because we both really want that arm), do we both have to be within 3 meters of it?

All actions that require a subscription. Node access / command agent / jumping in will come up most often.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 7 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

and dont forget about the retrans unit, something every drone with spare room should be equipped with, even if its not used at the moment.

it takes up 1 slot, so even a bust-a-move can have it stuffed inside it.

so basically hand out a couple of those to the team, and have them drop those of at interesting locations, going in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 7 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Actually, sending a command only requires 1 way signal. Recieving a confirmation of said command requires 2 way.

Example 1: You tell drone out there to do something. You have signal 4, he has signal 2. You hope he does it like you said.

Example 2: You tell drone out there to do something. You have signal 4, he has signal 4. You get confirmation of said command being executed.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Dec 7 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Actually, sending a command only requires 1 way signal. Recieving a confirmation of said command requires 2 way.

Example 1: You tell drone out there to do something. You have signal 4, he has signal 2. You hope he does it like you said.

Example 2: You tell drone out there to do something. You have signal 4, he has signal 4. You get confirmation of said command being executed.

Normally you would want a 2-way link though. Without a 2-way link you can only send out a burst command targeted to the drones access ID, and your drone would have to be set up to receive such communication, but anyone monitoring the wireless communication in you signal radius could pick up your command.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.